• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long until you became "good"?

Coen

BRoomer
BRoomer
Started out in summer 2005, took until around end of 2006 before I started consistently making it out of pools and getting decent placings. Been to around 30 tourneys in total, of which 5 major internationals. I actually quit for 3 years after I peaked due to other interests until I started going to some local stuff again early 2012. I was surprised to see the average skill level suddenly being so high lol, still got decent placings since then because of my 2008 playing style that seems to confuse most players .

Nicco

Smash Journeyman
I played alot of SSB64 at semi-high lvl before SSBM, so that helped.

I've played for about 8 months seriously now. I used Falco in teh beginning, because his shffl is easy.
Eventually I learned to pillar and all those other tricks like dbl shine and whatnot. I went to Marth for a while, but now I'm stuck with CF.

I find his combo game hard, because u got to be so fast. Fox feels alot slower in the comboing aspect.
So with CF, I'm just practicing my tech skill all the time to eventually be able to chain lots of fast moonruns. And lots of other tricks I'm not sharing ^^

:phone:

Silva562

Smash Rookie
Man , I cam pretty much do everything , but L-Cancel . Thats so hard to do , and its very important . Gets frustrating , when I see my character laaaaaaaaaaag .

SUNG666

Smash Ace
LA, CA (Glendale) Hook me up if ya wanna smash
Its all about how you practice, and how you set your goals. If you aim for winning every single tournament you enter, you will improve MUCH faster than if you aim "i just wanna get out of pools".

/rant about how you should think

Its not a matter of going into every match and thinking "im gonna win", its when every single time you think about the tournament, you aim for the top. You need to practice and prepare like you're gonna win, and if you do that, you're gonna improve way faster than anyone else.

Setting your goals "unrealistically high", does, no doubt, make you less "happy" in the beginning, since its much harder to reach your goals, but if you wanna be the best and improve fast that's simply what you're gonna have to take.

As for the question: I could do everything fundamental with falco after 2 weeks of playing the game. You need to focus on implementing about 30% of your characters options, the most important ones, and getting them to a level where you can do them without ever having to worry about failing, and then as you go along you can start implementing more.

After about two or three months I really needed, and after that I could really start working on what really matters, reading your opponent, learning matchups, and so forth.

Please don't focus on random technical stuff, its not what really matters. That will come in time anyway.
I love this post

Top Bottom