• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long does your break last

Rpggames77

Smash Journeyman
After coming back from a month hiatus I kinda feel ready to play and at the same time not. Anyways how long do you take to come back after a hiatus (I am not asking about how long I should wait or the answer "when I feel like it" but like in your life how long is it on average months,days,weeks? (also not from one day to another or play session to another)

Christopher Rodriguez

The illest Project M Bowser
Probably at the longest like a month or so, and a good ol' session gets me back going at least somewhat. A tournament too especially.. what about you?

Only a NOOB

Smash Cadet
Everyone is different, but the key is to find your own personal balance between your drive to get better and the overall enjoyment you are getting from the game and tournament scene at the time.

There are also a lot of other things you can do to minimize your need for smash hiatuses:
  • Experiment with other characters
  • Practice with different players or in a new location
  • Learn new tech or matchups
  • Find a new player or tournament series to study
  • Set other small, attainable short-term goals for yourself that help you stay focused and give you fulfillment for completing them
  • Make some changes to your non-smash schedule or commitments to give you more free time or reduce stress
Sometimes though, nothing beats just taking a break from the game for a while. You might focus more on another game or hobby instead, socialize more, or whatever you think you need during this time. There's certainly nothing wrong with having a hiatus once in a while, and sometimes you can come back even more refreshed than before.

Ultimately it's up to each person to figure out what kind of lifestyle choices work best for them. Some may even take it a step further and quit the game all together, and that's OK too. A hobby is a hobby. There's an unlimited supply of them out there. Do what you need to do. There will be plenty of people waiting and still playing if you decide to come back in the future.

Top Bottom