• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How long did it take you to SH/SHDL consistently?

Xenoraven

Smash Rookie
I'm a Falco main, but I've always been frustrated with Falco's poor horizontal mobility. I've always wanted to switch to Fox, but every time I do I get frustrated with not being able to SH consistently and not being able to SHDL and get significant damage output. I feel like if I could just get these two simple things, I would have a very smooth road learning Fox. How much commitment does it take? Any particular tips other than just grinding?

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Do you know how to multi shine with Falco?
If you do, that's how quick you gotta let go the jump button to be able to SH with Fox.

For SHDL you gotta mash the B button right after jumping. My mistake was that I waited for Fox to be airborne to then mash B, but you gotta mash B during the jump squat animation.

Last edited:

Vista_

Smash Cadet
Slide your finger when going from y to b, don't lift your finger. Also, if you're jumping with the X button you're asking for literally everything in this game to be harder than it needs to be

jiinii

Smash Rookie
SHDL took me around 4 - 5 weeks of practice to get really consistent with it. I use tap jump bc it puts less strain on my right hand.

reverie2

Smash Apprentice
i've been playign competitively for about a year and a half maining fox and am still having trouble shdl'ing consistently using y->b lol. It's ****ing hard to get it 90%+ of the time during actual games. Not sure if i'm just slow or...

Monomoo

Smash Rookie
once i switched from sheik to fox it took me a month or two to get it really consistent and to work in aerial drift as well but I can now get shdl 99% of the time. I also play claw so that gives me a strange advantage in random situations and this would be one of them since i use my index on Y for jumping and thumb for B. as for short hopping in general that seemed like the most ridiculous thing about fox to me until i started sliding my finger off of the Y button for short hops and just pressing it for full hops, I cant even remember the last time I missed a short hop with this tactic, highly recommend it (but again I play claw so jumping is all my index finger has to worry about)

M4zu

Smash Rookie
SHDL took me like 2 days to completely mester it and about a week to fully implement it in a real match.
I use X and B, just press X and slide you thumb to B pressing it 2 times. like the multishine imputs

vynleren

Smash Cadet
SHDL took me like 2 days to completely mester it and about a week to fully implement it in a real match.
I use X and B, just press X and slide you thumb to B pressing it 2 times. like the multishine imputs
Complete mastery does not occur until you can seamlessly integrate it into real matches. Just my 2 cents.

As for learning SHDL... it's literally just practice. Grind away.

bboss

Smash Journeyman
I have been playing for less than a year and only playing melee since last July. I switched to Fox this month and can shdl with him perfectly, it took me about 3 weeks to get it down pat tho.

tsmfoxmaster

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
FGOD#520
How long did it take you guys to master shdl? I have been playing fox for 8 months and still having trouble shdl. Idk if I'm slow or just not fast enough. I use y to b method.

Last edited:
Top Bottom