• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How it feels losing to a low tier

low-tier_video.jpg

Everybody knows low-tier characters are classified as such for a reason, but every now and then, there’s a player that pushes a character beyond our expectations of their placement. Despite all of our (alleged) skill, they somehow manage to defeat us.

The Keef Crew’s latest video captures the feeling of being beaten by a low-tier character, especially while using a much, much better character.

If you liked the content, be sure to subscribe to the Keef Crew on youtube.

Alberto "RedNova" Vásquez

Comments

You know you suck when you lose to a lower tiered character as a top tier.
Not entirely true (this comment is just in case this isn't a bait). It has some truth, but losing to one could be the result of matchup inexperience, or the low tier player playing godlike (for example: Sinji's Pac-Man). Or maybe you have a specific low tier character(s) that you have an Achilles' foot with. For myself, I am not good fighting Ganon sometimes.

In the video, he should said "Cloud" instead of Bayo, for the Bayo matchup is much more doable for Puff than Cloud. Puff vs Cloud is probably the closest thing to a "close-to-unwinnable" matchup in SSB4.

Last edited:
It goes to show that even when you're using the best fighters, they're not necessarily fool-proof when the worst fighters have a way to turn the tide of a battle. The same also goes for sports, since I've seen my fair share of upsets.

Not entirely true (this comment is just in case this isn't a bait). It has some truth, but losing to one could be the result of matchup inexperience, or the low tier player playing godlike (for example: Sinji's Pac-Man). Or maybe you have a specific low tier character(s) that you have an Achilles' foot with. For myself, I am not good fighting Ganon sometimes.

In the video, he should said "Cloud" instead of Bayo, for the Bayo matchup is much more doable for Puff than Cloud. Puff vs Cloud is probably the closest thing to a "close-to-unwinnable" matchup in SSB4.
There's no way a good player having an unlosable matchup should lose constantly anyway. Yes, matchup inexperience is a thing. (I know this since I main Pac-Man and have noticed this many times in my opponents.) But the fact that a top tier character counters almost every lower tiered character, one are bad if one loses to one. It's that simple, since it shouldn't happen if you are good enough. This is why balance is so important: those maining lower tiered characters are more likely to be more skilled than those maining top tiers, generally speaking. (Of course, many top players chose to main top tier characters anyway, but that doesn't mean they are automatically better than lower tiered character mains, since if those said lower tiers would become top tiers, then they [the players] would be as good as or even better than top tier players.)

I mean no offense to top tier players, but this is how I see it.

This video was funny. I've seen a few of Keef's videos before. Think of tiers as a conglomerate of frame data, match-ups, experience, and tournament results. A low-tier character may very well be a counter to high- or top-tier characters.

I mained Jigglypuff in most tournaments I ever attended in Smash 4 purely because it often makes the opponent play really stupid and you can win off that. They fall for tricks they aren't used to and get mad if they start losing and make a lot more mistakes, it's an endless cycle. The more I airdodge, the more mad they get, the more laggy moves they throw out trying to punish it. Sometimes they will counterpick off their top-tier character because they suspect it has a bad matchup (which it doesn't). Of course, its useless against players who can keep calm though.

That vids funny, I dropped ganon a lot but finally truly came back to him and am better than ever, I even picked up his brutally powerful combo game to give myself even more an edge, someone even tried to ditto me when they saw me testing my new and improved style and well they lost a lot, left eventually, it was fun, so many good reads and baits, I loved it, even managed to take on and beat a villager

A pink ball with feet beats you at SSB4. What do you do?
。゚( ゚இ‸இ゚)゚。 WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. MOMMY, I LOST. WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I love the keef crew. I also love that they are so famous in the smash community that Keith's video made it into the SmashBoards news. XD

D
Well all I can say is, ive had a lot of backlash about maining Zelda because she is the 'worst' character lol. But ive learned so much using a 'slower' character. Ive managed to accomplish goals I thought Id never get to with a low tier, and getting better every day! Sure, there will always be someone better than me, everyone who isn't puff'ed up with pride will see that, but you just need to brush it off and keep pushing! If you main Jiggs, keep pushing! If you main Ganon, keep pushing! Hopefully this encourages so of my fellow low tier players out there. :)

Top Bottom