• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How I think Ranked Play should work in Smash 5

Nakamura

Smash Cadet
I think it should not be FD Only, this was a major turn off for many in Smash 5 and a lot of people went to Anthers as a result of this, I think to start with we would randomly play on a stage that is either Battlefield,FD,and Smashville, Nintendo could add more if the Comp community takes a like to any of the new stages

Another thing should be a legitimate ranking system

Bronze I-IV

Silver I-IV

Gold I-IV

Platinum I-IV

Diamond I-IV

Elite (the highest Rank)

there would also be rank decay to prevent people from grinding elite then going into unranked for the rest of a season

also matches would be in a best of 3 format and if you quit before 3 matches too frequently you get a Competitive Cooldown.

jwillenn

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking multiple Ranked Modes could be good.
1 vs 1 Ranked - Pro Tournament (this gets updated throughout 5's life as tournaments dictate allowed stages/platforms)
1 vs 1 Ranked - Random Custom Match Settings Play (everything goes)
1 vs 1 Ranked - Omega Stages Only
2 vs 2 Ranked (for all of the above), 4 vs 4 Ranked (for all of the above), FFA Ranked (for all of the above)

Maybe I'm missing some. And maybe players could select modes of interest to have the game randomly toss them into matches of.

One thing I've long thought would be good for all Ranked Modes is a Set Commitment Policy, which states that players must engage in a full set to earn points. For example. Commit to Best of 3, then you must play until someone has won two matches. If you leave, then you will receive a strike and you will return any points gained in that set. To remove a strike, you actually have to play a full set through, which you would not get any points for if you win, but would lose points if you lose. Once the strike is gone, you will be eligible to gain points for victories again.

Points/Classes is definitely desired, but I especially want detailed player history keeping. Every match and stat kept. Players can even attach replay data for each.

There's a lot to discuss regarding the online mode and related features.

Last edited:
Top Bottom