• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How I can train a Lucina

Lightswo2

Smash Rookie
Hello, Lucina boards

I'm a Roy main who also likes playing Lucina enough to pick her up as a pocket(or even a secondary).

I was just wondering what I can do to practice Lucina.

Any advice/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Since I've played both of them (:4feroy: on occasion and :4lucina: as a full-time main), what exactly can I say about her?

She lacks a tipper, obviously meaning her strength is equal throughout her sword. This makes her weaker compared to Roy up close, but she has consistency, meaning you can space your distance or get close.

Since Lucina has more range than Roy, you can try practicing your distance between yourself and the opponent. That kind of defensive play style is safer for her than getting her up close offensively. But then again getting up close offensively is technically how I play her so she can work adequately in both.

If I also recall, a fully charged shield breaker performed aerially also pushes her forward, so be sure to keep that in mind when you're knocked off the stage because I believe it helps in her recovery back up the stage.

Jab 1 should also have good follow ups into anything you put into after. Like a f-smash or f-air for example once you did a jab once. Personally, I like to use Jab 1, down tilt then f-air.

I may be inaccurate in some of my info (bad habit of mine at this point), but for the most part I'm confident that most of what I said should work for you. You made a good choice in picking her up, and I encourage the thought of practicing her. Good luck and I hope you enjoy picking her up!

EDIT: Also, you might find that her up-b helps her escape jab lock situations like Little Mac's or Corrin's.

Last edited:

Dozr

Smash Rookie
So I use Bidou when I play Lucina. Perfect pivots help her immensely because Jab1 leads into so many things. (ppUtilt, ppFtilt, etc). I would practice mainly the ground game as Lucina/Marth's frame data in the air is pretty lackluster on landings. I recommend staying close to the ground mixing up Dancing Blade, Grab, and tilts. Watch the 2GG Marth v Little Mac crew battle on YouTube for some ideas.

In my experience, Lucina is far more reliant on the neutral than Roy. You have some combos and traps, but mostly you're aiming to gimp people with your range/edgeguard or catch landings until you can give them a nice, meaty Fsmash to the mouth. You don't have many options if you make a wrong decision, so I would recommend a more reactive playstyle that involves a lot of momentary clashes before a disengage. You want to really rely on the neutral and your range, while making use of mixups to catch landings/recoveries. Sorry if I was a bit redundant, but that should be a good place to start.

Rpp = retreating perfect pivot, App=advancing perfect pivot)
AppFtilt
Dthrow>Uair/Bair
Dash>Dancing Blade
RppJab1>AppUtilt>Bair
RppDtilt>AppFtilt
Jab1>Fair
Jab1>Dancing Blade (aerial or grounded)
Short hop Dancing Blade1>Uair
Jab1>Fsmash

There is a lot more, but for now that's a good summation of the neutral I go through.

Jaypen7

Smash Cadet
With Lucina you wanna focus on playing safely in the neutral, make use of movement options (foxtrots, edd, etc), perfect pivots are your friend. Focus on spacing as well, just because we don't have a tipper doesn't mean we can be in their face. Try to keep your opponents in the air, if not just make a personal bubble for yourself and keep them out of it. Jab1 can lead into many things such as fair, ftilt, dancing blade, utilt, etc. Don't let your opponents get onstage for free, either edge-guard them or apply ledge pressure/cover their getup options. Learn the kill percents for u-throw and learn when sh db1 > nair1 > fsmash works.

SuperScope

Smash Cadet
Whatever you do dont play her like Marth. Her Meta will never evolve if people keep thinking of her as a lesser Marth. She has her own style of play.

Also take advantage of her walk.

Top Bottom