• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How have you had trouble adjusting?

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
My biggest trouble adjusting to Brawl has been with the mid-air dodges. I never realized just how important they were in Melee. I used them to grab items by going just a little higher than a wavedash and grabbing the item on the ground while dodging. Now, whenever I do that, I miss the item entirely. It's taken a bit of conditioning to make myself dash attack through the item now instead. Also, I end up dodging right into attacks and trying to use a dodge to get just a little bit more height with characters like Zelda and Yoshi, even though I know it won't work!

I'm sure the dodging has been difficult on other people. What have you had trouble adjusting to?

Ichida

Smash Ace
The only trouble I've had adjusting is finding enough time to play. Other than that, it's spectacular. Like I've said to my local troupe, I'm sooooo ****ing done with Melee. I've already sold my copy back to EB.

Bibbed

Smash Journeyman
The only trouble I've had adjusting is finding enough time to play. Other than that, it's spectacular. Like I've said to my local troupe, I'm sooooo ****ing done with Melee. I've already sold my copy back to EB.
Should be easy to find more time if you stop trolling the boards every day with your garbage posts.

DarkShadowRage

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkShadowRage
3DS FC
0534-0479-5837
Switch FC
SW-6587-7751-8591
I transitioned just perfectly fine.

rove

Smash Apprentice
Its just me not being able to wavedash and waveland anymore, I keep thinking I can waveland again lol.
But anyway also when the cpu is on lvl 9 on vs. mode. And he air dodges to stop the flow of getting hit by a hard attack.
And the fact that fox has reduced speed is another factor.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
I don't really get this slowness complaint at all, some characters are floatier and seem slower with the freezeframes and stuff but.... Well for example, i was fox and my friend was pit. I had just got home and he had been practicing against the computer. When i sat down and we started our match i DSC cancelled in to a neutral a combo jumped and Fair him then nair'ed him on the way down and dodge canelled that into a shordashed upsmash. He turned to me and asked "are we playing on fast mode now or something?"

The game is acctually Faster, you just have to adjust to the timing and exploit the momentum carry in the physics engine.

Bibbed

Smash Journeyman
The game is acctually Faster, you just have to adjust to the timing and exploit the momentum carry in the physics engine.
I'm not going to argue about which game is better, but by virtue of the fact that you cannot cancel the lag after aerials makes Brawl slower. Not to mention the fact that almost any time you hit your opponent they are sent flying up and away, leaving no chance for a follow-up attack until they float back down.

Ichida

Smash Ace
Should be easy to find more time if you stop trolling the boards every day with your garbage posts.
Hardeharhar. I'm so going to leave the office I work at to go play video games. That'll totally end well.

As for the speed, it does seem a tad slower, but that isn't such a bad thing for players like me.

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
I don't really get this slowness complaint at all, some characters are floatier and seem slower with the freezeframes and stuff but.... Well for example, i was fox and my friend was pit. I had just got home and he had been practicing against the computer. When i sat down and we started our match i DSC cancelled in to a neutral a combo jumped and Fair him then nair'ed him on the way down and dodge canelled that into a shordashed upsmash. He turned to me and asked "are we playing on fast mode now or something?"

I don't know if it's just my lack of sleep or what, but I think I agree. At first Brawl did seem slow and floaty, but it feels faster than Melee now that I have a good grasp on how it works. Maybe the only reason it feels faster though is that I still don't really know every character's move timing and spacing yet.

PXG

Smash Journeyman
I am realizing that Toon Link is not as easily gimped as I thought. He is NOT Young Link. He is so floaty. Its an advantage and disadvantage at the same time. But, when used right, Toon Link is scary. Wall of mother ****ing pain!

Oh, and I have a friend who is STUPID with Ike. Holy Christ! That Ike is insane. But, it seems that the only character he has trouble against is my Toon Link. Toon Link is really hard to KO. Plus, Toon Link will never SD. Also, Nicknytes Luigi is a man god.

I decided not to use Falco and go with Wolf instead. Wolf, to me, is the new Falco; strong, fast and has good priority.

Ichida

Smash Ace
Oh, and I have a friend who is STUPID with Ike. Holy Christ! That Ike is insane. But, it seems that the only character he has trouble against is my Toon Link. Toon Link is really hard to KO. Plus, Toon Link will never SD.
*waves you over* Pssst... The word stupid has a negative context.

Randofu

Smash Journeyman
Bleh, that's what I meant. That's what I get for typing while talking to someone else IRL.
No worries. I feel your pain of being separated from Brawl while at work. At least I'm in grad school so I'll have spring break next week! :)

Soluble Toast

Smash Ace
NNID
solubletoast
3DS FC
2165-6410-7964
I'm finding the new Zelda hard to adjust to. It's like she's a whole new character to learn all over again.
I need to find a new position to hit off lightning kick. It seem that it's more about falling to your opponent, then delivering a lightning kick this time. I'm enjoying it.

The new air dodge system isn't as good as Melee, but what can you do? =[

epfftactics

Smash Rookie
I am not really finding anything difficult. I did l-cancel, but only in battles where i had to. The only person that I played who made me do that often was good enough to beat me no matter what i did.
I also don't miss wavedashing for a few reasons, and i haven't had trouble adjusting there.
The only thing I can think of is just adjusting to new characters, the physics of the game seems fairly simple.

pirkid

Smash Lord
So what if people press L when they land because of Melee instinct? It doesn't do any harm, really.
You'll gradually stop.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Actually I've found the changed not to bad really. Probably because I didn't have alot of techincal handling in Melee that I would call habit. The biggest change is when I decided to use the Nunchuck over the GC Controller. XD

Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat

Smash Apprentice
I don't know about anyone else, but when I started playing Brawl after having played Melee a few days earlier, the controls in Brawl seemed just a tiny bit less responsive. So there would be like a 1/8 second lag between when you input a command and your character does that action. That was the only thing that gave me real trouble, but after a few battles you get used to it and now it feels fine.

Rokrin

Smash Rookie
The biggest change for me was getting used to the "C" button on the Nunchuck being jump; it's easier for me to use, but I kept forgetting that I no longer had to hit up on the control stick to jump. The adjustment was made quickly, however, after I turned jumps to button-only, and hit the control stick for the first time, realizing that I needed to hit the button.

The only other problem I had was finding that Shake-Smash didn't work in WiFi; I smash better with the control stick anyways, but Shake Smash was just...fun.

Tajem

Smash Apprentice
The C-stick functions(however slight the change) have given me a bit of trouble. Not being able to hold down and down/upsmash keeps messing me up. xD

maelstrom218

Smash Lord
The hardest part to adapt to is the fact that the entire system for movement is different. Wavedashing is out, so that means precise movement is impossible. Dash-dancing timing is different and overall toned down, so I also can't control movement speed/distance. And the worst part is that I can't dash-cancel by crouching. . .I can't tell you how many times I've tried to dash-cancel -> d-smash, only to do screw up.

So basically, general movement has been completely overhauled to the point where I keep on flubbing simple things like running and spacing. Ugh. Got to work on shield-cancelling everything now.

OddCrow

Smash Ace
3DS FC
1676-3709-1310
I actually realized that I've been playing Melee as if it were Brawl for years now. My transition was smoother than butter.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
The dodging now feels like an aerial spot dodge. I like it, I don't prefer it however. Both systems are fine for me. I'm sure some will complain about the speed, but to me, it's essentially Melee with practically auto recoveries. I strongly dislike the new trophy gallery, it's too slow to navigate :laugh:

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I had no idea how much 'slower' and floatier Brawl was! No one could have prepared me, I had to play it for myself! I could never get the timing down, and it seemed as if me playing Brawl had made me worse at playing any SSB game! Then, after 8 hours of play, everything sync'd. I'm not having any problems, and truthfully, I prefer Brawl's gameplay now, over Melee.

Sadly, going back to Melee, it takes me a long time to re-adjust to its speed and "faster reaction time".

Tachita

Smash Cadet
I just adapted so efficently I don't believe it
Its just a so perfect game that nobody should take more than 5 matches to adapt
The only REAL problem I've had is that I just have two cube controllers
That and Yoshi's side B, now it sucks >.<

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I adapted quite easily. It felt a bit weird at first, and was a little hard to concentrate, but after just 2 or 3 hours it feels as natural to me as Melee, infact in some ways it's preferrable.

Hold on a sec, just let me be sure.

Is it taboo to prefer Brawl to Melee on this forum? I prefer Brawl to Melee.

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
For me, the sensitivity of the control stick messes me up A LOT... I sometimes roll when I shield... and turn around a lot unintentionally...

There is no light shielding either... so there are a few frames of delay between pressing the button and the actual shield...

Grab combos don't really work anymore... most grabs send them too far... big difference from melee...

Top Bottom