• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Hard is Playing Jigglypuff?

How Hard Is It to Play Jigglypuff?

• Total voters

MisterDom

Smash Ace
NNID
MisterDom
3DS FC
1091-7673-8661
One of these fun questions again!

I believe this question is actually one of the more important of the fun discussions, because many people might disagree.

As a low tier, it's natural for such a character to be harder to play at a competitve level. However, the argument is that she actually isn't hard to play, and she just isn't good, making her The Queen of Disprespect for some.

So! Is she a tough character to play, or a somewhat easy character with lack of depth? Where do you stand and why?

Last edited:

Meira

Smash Rookie
NNID
Meiraz
3DS FC
1762-3961-1329
Competitively she's somewhat difficult for me. Though it's honestly due to my impatience and constantly wanting to trade hit boxes. In other words, not playing her right at all. But being able to read and punish people is so satisfying as well. I just have to get better at it and not go full on aggro.

KniteBlargh

Smash Journeyman
I agree, somewhat difficult. I'm sure most of us as Puff mains would say we've found him/her to gel with our playstyle and just feel right, so it could be said that actually using Jiggs is mostly easy for us, but I think when someone labels Jiggs as being easy or straight-forward, they're kind of revealing they don't understand how precise and tricky we have to be to actually use the character effectively in all the various match-ups... Compared to most characters, our combos take quite a bit more practice to get right, and even then they can be iffy or unreliable, so we have to adjust on the fly almost constantly. With other characters, there are a lot of combos that just kind of flow naturally once you get them started (stuff like Falco's down throw > dash attack > nair/fair/reflector). Also, unlike some of the other projectile-less choices like Ike, we can't be as free about throwing out a certain move when in the neutral since there are more opportunities for us to get punished. Not downplaying the beauty of our nair here, just saying we have to mix it up a bit more in general and choose wisely.

TL;DR
Jigglypuff is love.

OmegaStriker

Smash Cadet
I say difficult. Jiggs' battle strategy is really hard to implement when you have characters that are good at breaking into her Puffzone and laying waste to her. We as Jigglypuff players have to make sure that mistakes the opponent makes are ones they regret, though this can be hard due to her overall low speed. Otherwise we have no kind of respect. Then we have Rest which ends stocks in a flash but we have to be careful and make sure we land it due to its small hitbox.

Desu~

Smash Ace
NNID
Mr. G-E
Switch FC
2211-2137-8924
lol "somewhat"?

Jiggs is simply difficult to play with competitively in general.
Jiggs is one of the few characters that needs on-point precision and read games.

But from the few characters out there that does not need to mash out stuff to start something, Jiggs is pretty much the only one who does not have what's necessary to have a solid follow-up to it's punishes.

It's basically the embodiement of a one-trick pony.

I guess it's that "OTP" element that gives it an easy vibe, but I personally think it's just a way to fool people.

Last edited:

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
As a character that I haven't played in any Smash game and had to pick up for a video, I found her pretty hard. Against weak players, she's a ton of fun to bounce around throwing aerials, but against good opponents I just couldn't get the hang of moving unpredictably. All of her movement is heavily telegraphed, her moves aren't all that safe (and have terrible range), and she just gets outmaneuvered so easily by quicker characters. And don't even get me started on sword characters. How the hell does Jigglypuff go up against Cloud at high level?

Axel311

Smash Ace
NNID
axel311
Very difficult. Very low margin of error due to her weight and short range. You can play well for a whole stock and then have your lead disappear because you misspaced one aerial, got hit with a smash attack and died at 70. And because of her range you're always at risk of being punished for misspacing anything.

Playing her is so nerve wracking as your spacing always has to be on point or you get punished severely. And you can't trade. And rest is a nice punish but if you miss you die so it requires you to be clutch and precise. Honestly big props to anyone who mains her and gets decent results. It's a shame she's not better, I love playing her in friendlies but would never use her in bracket.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
She's without a doubt one of the hardest characters to play in the game. She requires precision of the gods and the patience of them, too. Even so, she doesn't require the amount of technical skill that Ryu and Peach do, so I'll say difficult.

PowerPuffPlayer

Smash Apprentice
Playing as puff is STRESSFUL. You have to pay attention to everything while playing as her. And like what MarioMeteor said, you need the precision of the gods. That's probably why I like playing as her. When I win as her, it feels like a true win.

Last edited:

Capita

Smash Apprentice
NNID
n1ntendogamer
Honestly, I think she's piss easy to play as. I have 0 problems playing puff on a wii remote w/o nunchuck, and it's mainly because puff gets jack **** from the tech in this game. you can be a decent Puff player just knowing how to space fair and nair, and that barely involves any technical input. walls of pain are super easy, gimping is really easy too, nothing is really technical about the character. She's super one dimensional. The only thing that involves any sort of precision is dair combos and rest combos, and those aren't too hard either if you practice enough. Simply put, I feel like a lot of the responses ITT are just a misdiagnosis. Puff isn't hard to play or master, she's just ass competitively because she is such a **** character. She just feels hard to use because most wins as a puff player involve the Puff player having to outplay the other.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
It depends on how you interpret it.

If we're going by "feel of the character/playstyle", I'd say she is one easiest characters for me to pick up and play mainly due to having nothing technical about her other than her aerial combos and being a lot easier to control in the air than in Melee. Sometimes I feel like I can even go on auto-pilot mode because of how floaty and fast she is in the air.

Now if we're talking about "playing on a competitive level/trying to win", I'd then say she is somewhat difficult. As others have said, you need to be precise with how short Sleepypuff's range is along with knowing when to time your aerial strings and she can cause you to have a heart attack as a character like Ganondorf can just sneeze at you and you're gone; just like that.

Overall, I say she's not too difficult to play as,

Mafew

Smash Rookie
Because of its low spot on the teir list you have to put more effort into it. You have to learn to read your opponent to get a rest. You have to learn to get yourself into an advantage during neutral and you have to learn to prevent getting juggled.

Top Bottom