• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How guys treat girls in a fighting game community.

Tesh

Smash Hero
Its not about whether or not I'm into him. Its about making him feel unwelcome the way he might feel unwelcome in a 90s arcade. Back then, they didn't have spray on deodorant so kids really smelled ****ing awful. You pretty much HAD to smell other players. Then the consoles came along, but we kept that tradition.

I check out my first match in bracket and I let him know straight up. "I like ya....and I wantcha, and we do this the easy way or the hard way" . And 9 times out of 10 they just let me have the win. I am what I am. A warrior just like Aris and Akagami.

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
Its not about whether or not I'm into him. Its about making him feel unwelcome the way he might feel unwelcome in a 90s arcade. Back then, they didn't have spray on deodorant so kids really smelled ****ing awful. You pretty much HAD to smell other players. Then the consoles came along, but we kept that tradition.

I check out my first match in bracket and I let him know straight up. "I like ya....and I wantcha, and we do this the easy way or the hard way" . And 9 times out of 10 they just let me have the win. I am what I am. A warrior just like Aris and Akagami.
After all these years, still one of my favourite Sonic mains.

yummynbeefy

Smash Champion
fitting in is for squares, it takes a real man to stand up to cancer like a circular motion, kinda like how zangief puts peoples face in the ground, and gets peoples dyick in the dirt, the catalina wine mixer is comin up, and hopefully lets hope that said people rent helicopters so that we can figure out this situation

bottom line of this post, meth is a hell of a drug

FoxBlaze71

Smash Lord

I have nothing left to say.

Baskerville

That's a paddlin'
NNID
RedGazelle7
3DS FC
4184-3881-5805
My god that's horrible. The fact that people are actually defending this **** is beyond disgusting.

leelue

Smash Lord
I don't see how someone who's mature cannot see the distinction between trash-talk and harassment.
This was clearly harassment.

But the line gets blurry.
When a guy hits on another guy or talks about grabbing rears, it's ok apparently. When he does so to a woman, it's an instant problem. In an age where orientations and sexes are supposed to be treated in the same way there is certainly a double standard rooted in sensitivity here. Yes hate exists. Yes discrimination exists. Dirty people exist. We get it. But so does context.

What happened there was horrendous. Pure garbage. I would watch him get beaten up. exiled to Angola for that behavior, and then laugh about it later. There was a boundary there and he crossed it.
However, lets say the situation wasn't dialed up to 11 and it was at a level where she was actually ok with it. Nobody sane would care.
That's why I believe it is obvious that issues like this should be judged on:
A) A case by case basis and
B) Only based on the interactions between parties A and B, not your own offend-ability or lack thereof.

So what I mean is that if person X doesn't want person Y demeaning them or objectifying them about some intrinsic quality of person X's (their orientation, their sex, their race, their mother's profession, etc) then it is an issue. This was clearly such a case.
What we cannot do is police every instance of the mentioning of breasts or race related words because between individuals the target may not legitimately care. Perhaps they disagree with all this wanton sensitivity. If someone says that I'm acting N****ish I won't be offended, ever. Even though some outside authority thinks that I should. That's our interaction, nobody was even remotely hurt, and it's all good. Imposing morals on people concerning their speech that each involved party finds acceptable is just the wrong way to do things.

The hard part is determining where you are allowed to go... a random person could be offended by any number of things. Maybe I think that since you will use the N word around your friends but not around me that you are treating me differently, and discrimination of any kind is wrong. Maybe I find that offensive. I'm sure many people dont. This is why the lines are blurry, and I go into said blurriness below.

Getting upset when someone uses the term **** in regards to smash offends some people because **** as an actual action is horrifically bad. It sure is.
But nobody gets upset when someone says "he murdered him"? "Massacred"? "Beat your face in"? "Ran you over"? "Got jumped"? "Tortured"? All terms that are objectively bad. All acts that are very traumatizing, immoral, wrong things that we all just don't give a damn about. Somehow **** is worse to some people but if I were to be completely honest I cannot agree.
It's all bad, and playing favorites with words is inherently arbitrary.
We don't even have to get into immoral words for my point to still exist; I could replace the word "*****" with "divorced" and this thread would read exactly the same, with one person thinking it's ok and someone else lamenting about how it is a hurtful, life altering thing that you never get over. There is an arbitrary line drawn in the sand for some words and not others, and this is simply based too much on emotion.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Hahahahahaha.

I had to look up Ray Lewis : (
That's cool bro. Let me just show you how Raw Lewis does "introductions"... o.O
Falls under "not enough practice"
Yeah if this guy put as much "practice" into talking with girls, maybe he'd get ones' digits! :laugh: "PRACTICE? WE TALKIN' 'BOUT PRACTICE!" :chuckle:
Lets talk about that whole 'girls don't matter because they're a minority' mindset you've got. Pretty easy to take that stance when you're in the majority
Let's just get ride of all minorities based on sexual orientation, gender, race, nationality, religion, education, financial status age, and political beliefs. Sounds good. :glare: /sarcasm
fighters are made with males in mind and nothing you can say will change that lol.
Smash Bros did it. I know plenty of females who play Smash Bros. :ast I checked, Smash Bros sold way more copies than Street Fighter or Tekken without any re-releases.
political correctness is something i've hated passionately for a very long time and i can't believe it's worked it's way into the fgc.
It's not political correctness we are discussing. We are discussing prejudice. Maybe if your comprehension was better than your grammar, you would understand that.
back in the day you wouldn't even be able to be involved in the fgc without **** talk cause you would have to go to the arcade to play.
On the occasion I went to an arcade, I was bigger, more athletic, and strong than the arcade nerds. You don't trash talk to someone like that. Instead, you trash talk like a p***y to a small, frail girl, because you don't risk getting your out of shape booty beat. That is exactly what Aris did here. If she was say a mix martial artist, he would have not talked.

Pimpfish

Smash Journeyman
This is a big deal. If a community wants to be picked up in a professional environment, players should act professional. sexual harassment is not professional.

if the community is unprofessional, mlg should not pick it up. it would make mlg look bad.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I don't see how your response to the quoted sentence makes sense.

IT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE JUST TOO GREEN DUDE, YOU HAVEN'T BEEN SELLING OUT ARENAS SINCE THE 1980s

That was what the original post stated, the discussion didn't really center around that. You said yourself you didn't read any of the posts, so I can understand why you aren't aware of that.
WELL THEN YOU SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THAT DISCLAIMER INTO ACCOUNT BROTHER, THE HULKSTER DOESN'T LIKE TO FIGHT WHEN HE DOESN'T HAVE TO, JACK.

I believe you had trouble, I'm just saying it seems like a very plain statement that you extracted to direct that at.
WELL WHEN YOU'RE WORKING ALL DAY TO PUT ***ES IN SEATS MEAN GENE, YOUR MIND GETS A LITTLE TIRED WHEN YOU'RE BURNING THE MIDNIGHT OIL. IN ANY CASE, SENTENCE STRUCTURE WAS KINDA OFF DUDE AND THE HULKSTER IS THE KING OF SPEECH SO I'M JUST SAYING BROTHER IT WAS A LITTLE CONVOLUTED. LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE JUST NOT READY WHEN IT COMES TO PROMOS BROTHER.

So it IS angst. Chill bro, everything is going to be okay, I promise. This is the insecurity that we've been talking about thus far. From my relevant comment you say something irrelevant to what we are talking about, as you say, it only achieved to satiate your easily hurt pride (I wasn't really aiming for hurting you, sorry my friend).
SEE THAT'S ENTIRELY RIDICULOUS DUDE, THE HULKSTER IS A MAN AND HE DOESN'T GET UPSET, BUT IT'S LIKE THIS BROTHER. WHEN A MAN CHALLENGES ANOTHER MAN, YOU DON'T BACK DOWN LIKE A COWARD BROTHER, YOU HAVE TO FIGHT BACK. THE HULKSTER DOESN'T HAVE AN EGO BROTHER, THE ONLY THING THE HULKSTER IS PROUD OF IS ALL HIS HULKAMANIACS AND THE RED WHITE AND BLUE BROTHER.

It is especially ironic considering what you have said before about put downs. What did you suggest?

Ah, yes, right. Well do that.
LIKE THE HULKSTER SAID JACK, YOU DEAL WITH IT BY THROWING ABUSE BACK DUDE, BUT OBVIOUSLY YOU'RE JUST NOT AT THAT LEVEL TO UNDERSTAND BROTHER. IT'S OKAY, MAYBE AFTER FIVE OR SO YEARS YOU CAN REACH THAT LEVEL.

Well obviously a person has preferences to how one should think, I mean, you do what you think is best. But anyways, missing the point here again. Even if nice guys "rib", then there isn't much reason not to be one of those guys.
A MAN'S GOTTA HAVE FIGHT IN HIM IF HE WANTS TO MAKE IT TO THE TOP BROTHER. I BURIED ALL THE JABRONIS WHO WEREN'T READY JACKDUDEBROTHER, AND THAT'S WHY I'VE BEEN AT THE TOP FOR LONGER THAN YOU'VE BEEN ALIVE.

I literally have no idea how this goes with what I just said. :confused: I didn't say that at all.

And no, I am not, and I don't take that as rude.
WELL MEAN GENE, HOLDER OF THE HEEL SHOULD BE CAREFUL WHAT HE'S INSINUATING BROTHER, JUST SHOWS AGAIN HE'S NOT READY FOR THE BIG TIME, JACK.

[yt]guG9cVs3ms4[/yt]

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Formal grammar isn't required when when it comes to speech brother.

Edit: I know I said when twice and I'm NOT GOING TO CHANGE IT HEAT OF THE MOMENT MEAN GENE

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The best part of that Booker T segment was his reaction just after he realised he said it.

Hulk Hogan is easily the worst wrestler to ever make it successfull. He had no in ring ability- he was slow, never did anything acrobratic and couldn't sell moves to save his life. His move repoitoire (is that how you spell it?) was really shallow too. He just basically had the look and was marketed. Even Macmahon and people like Hart have said he was a trash wrestler.

I used the find the real American theme song funny, but now its patriotism just annoys me. It'd be funny to play it over clips of American soldiers killing innocent Middle Eastern civilians or pissing on dead bodies.

Let's see Hulkamania run wild over that.

Brother.

Veetaak

Smash Lord
Men are often *******
Don't look down on women just because your **** is small or because you have no friends or because your humor is so lackluster that the only way for you to have fun is to talk down on women

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
the best part of that booker t segment was his reaction just after he realised he said it.

Hulk hogan is easily the worst wrestler to ever make it successfull. He had no in ring ability- he was slow, never did anything acrobratic and couldn't sell moves to save his life. His move repoitoire (is that how you spell it?) was really shallow too. He just basically had the look and was marketed. Even macmahon and people like hart have said he was a trash wrestler.

I used the find the real american theme song funny, but now its patriotism just annoys me. It'd be funny to play it over clips of american soldiers killing innocent middle eastern civilians or pissing on dead bodies.

Let's see hulkamania run wild over that.

Brother.
little smark just mad that all his vanilla ****** favorites never drew a dime brother.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
Men are often *******
Don't look down on women just because your **** is small or because you have no friends or because your humor is so lackluster that the only way for you to have fun is to talk down on women
Well, since you said it here, I'm sure someone will listen.

I'm lying, brother.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
silly dre., no one cares about the actual wrestling - the only thing that matters is being larger than life and entertaining. hence why we have guys like the great khali, big show, mr. 5 moves of doom etc being at the top.

Falconv1.0

Smash Master
silly dre., no one cares about the actual wrestling - the only thing that matters is being larger than life and entertaining. hence why we have guys like the great khali, big show, mr. 5 moves of doom etc being at the top.
I think it's more like "silly dre, you missed the entire ****ing point of the joke and you look really mad for some reason, what's up, brother?"

I mean, being overly mad n **** is supposed to be my thing isn't it? I mean have you seen my avatar? ****'s all...mad and stuff.

Top Bottom