• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How GSP works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goomboi

Smash Apprentice
So I see lots of people wondering how GSP works, I'm here to tell you how it works. Global Smash Power aka GSP is the ranking system for smash ultimate online. The GSP system tries to find the GSP area where you have a 50% win lose ratio. The higher you go the less your GSP goes up as its also supposed to show how many people you are better than as well as finding your 50% win rate. So if you go on a big win streak you will gain more GSP each time vice versa for a losing streak. Hopefully this helps you with the crazy thing ultimate online is!

IKEI

Smash Rookie
Not really good compared to a real ranked system imo
In a real ranked mode, you can clearly see your current level and the max level that you can achieve, compared to GSP where you don't even know where exactly you are located in the global ranking nor can you see what's the max GSP you can get unless you're good enough to climb to the top, it's not really motivating to max out GSP in that regard

Even something such as "ranked #920" in the world would be more rewarding to me.

IKEI

Smash Rookie
Bruh even Splatoon has a better ranking system (in fact splatoon has a better everything in terms of competitiveness)

Arthur97

Smash Master
There is also a bit of a discrepancy it seems between what it shows in the online mode and what it says in the Battle Data section.

IKEI

Smash Rookie
There is also a bit of a discrepancy it seems between what it shows in the online mode and what it says in the Battle Data section.
? For real?
even the built-in stats are off?
Damn...

Arthur97

Smash Master
? For real?
even the built-in stats are off?
Damn...
Yeah, compare the two. For example, I think my records had Terry somewhere relatively high, but I don't even have him in Elite.

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
What about the characters you've never played with online who have the highlighted blue number? Is that like an average of all your characters or something? That's what I'd assume, but my score for characters I've never used online tends to be higher than what I'd expect for the average. I also wonder that if you only ever played with a single character online and you got them into Elite Smash, would everyone else on your roster get into Elite Smash via their default value (or would they be one battle away from getting into it having a value that's over the limit but it's not offically their score until you play a battle with them)?

IKEI

Smash Rookie
What about the characters you've never played with online who have the highlighted blue number? Is that like an average of all your characters or something? That's what I'd assume, but my score for characters I've never used online tends to be higher than what I'd expect for the average. I also wonder that if you only ever played with a single character online and you got them into Elite Smash, would everyone else on your roster get into Elite Smash via their default value (or would they be one battle away from getting into it having a value that's over the limit but it's not offically their score until you play a battle with them)?
I guess I'd call it the "Base GSP"
It's definitely not your average GSP, I think it's the "default" GSP that you have when buying the game
The blue GSP does not increase with your wins, it increases as more and more people can access to Quickplay. (I dunno if I made myself clear here)

Last edited:

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
I guess I'd call it the "Base GSP"
It's definitely not your average GSP, I think it's the "default" GSP that you have when buying the game
The blue GSP does not increase with your wins, it increases as more and more people can access to Quickplay. (I dunno if I made myself clear here)
Would that mean the first people to play the game would automatically have every character in Elite Smash?

IKEI

Smash Rookie
I wasn't saying that
Your Blue GSP is never enough to unlock Elite Smash
Elite Smash kinda works like this :
Let's say, hypothetically, that only a million people have access to Quickplay rn worldwide
The max GSP would be 1 000 000
let's say that in order to get Elite Smash, you need to have a better GSP than 75% of all the players and that the base GSP is 50%
you would need at least 750 000 GSP to get elite smash, and your "default GSP" is only like 500 000
As more and more people buy the game, the base GSP (the one in blue) will rise without playing, but so does the GSP needed to unlock elite smash

IKEI

Smash Rookie
Also I'm not aware of the actual percentages of all this, it was just an example of if it worked like that.

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
I wasn't saying that
Let's say, hypothetically, that only a million people have access to Quickplay rn worldwide
let's say that in order to get Elite Smash, you need to have a better GSP than 75% of all the players and that the base GSP is 50%
you would need at least 750 000 GSP to get elite smash, and your "default GSP" is only like 500 000
As more and more people buy the game, the base GSP (the one in blue) will rise without playing, but so does the GSP needed to unlock elite smash
Yes, but if the blue number is determined by [when you first get the game+how many people have gotten the game since you did], then someone would have logged on at some point with their blue GSP as 1. And then when three more people logged on, that 1 would increase to 4 and would suddenly be the top 75%

Goomboi

Smash Apprentice
I wasn't saying that
Elite is top 3%

PXP8 altoid

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-6747-3546-4686
So I see lots of people wondering how GSP works, I'm here to tell you how it works. Global Smash Power aka GSP is the ranking system for smash ultimate online. The GSP system tries to find the GSP area where you have a 50% win lose ratio. The higher you go the less your GSP goes up as its also supposed to show how many people you are better than as well as finding your 50% win rate. So if you go on a big win streak you will gain more GSP each time vice versa for a losing streak. Hopefully this helps you with the crazy thing ultimate online is!
too many words for my pea brain

JDB1984

Smash Rookie
With only 9 wins in total, I'll probably have to lose before it can get me to 50%. A lot.

IKEI

Smash Rookie
With only 9 wins in total, I'll probably have to lose before it can get me to 50%. A lot.
I said it was an example lmao
It's not actually 50% it was to make easier math
It's actually more like 3% of the smashers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom