• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How good were you at your first Smash tournament?

Squelchyman

Smash Cadet
I have not gotten into competitive Smash yet but I would definitely like to soon. I would like to ask you though, how good were you at your first Smash tournie? I am quite the amateur Jiggly main, I roll way too much, I can't wavedash or l-cancel and only tech on very limited occasions. I also throw around FSmashes like nobody's business. When you attended your first tourney, could you wavedash, lcancel or tech is my main question and what place did you come?

NINJATTILA

Smash Rookie
I got absolutely destroyed, But with Puff in particular you can only really get better by playing others. I'd say not focus too much on where you'll place but rather ask anyone you play on tips too improve and just see it as a learning experience. You can only get better by practising.

Last edited:

MTGEL33T

Smash Rookie
idk if you want my input but I got like 25th out of 50 or so players, but I'm a sheik main. I didn't know much tech, but I practiced a lot with my friends who hadn't attended one yet either. I think my character is what made me get that far though.

chrbir5

Smash Cadet
I'm just getting really comfy with tech.

I got ****ing bodied. like, JV5d by darkrain lol.

But it taught me everything about tournament mindset.

I learned not to rush my games and how to di in like four games. I learned how to fight peach by getting bodied by lilo&stich, who played really mean against me (understandably so, I'm puff). I lost to this really good 13 year old marth who was about where I was but had better reading.

I need to calm myself, reset my controller after every set (helps mental stability for some reason), and ask for hand warmers. Show up to your pool on time, and talk to random people.

I got lost and missed my first mach, then had to immediately face all of the people left in my pool back to back with no warm up. If I had just asked where I needed to go instead of assuming where I needed to go I would have gotten all of my matches and not felt so flustered when I got there.

Hugs' guide is a bit under researched but really good. http://www.meleeitonme.com/a-guide-to-establishing-tournament-consistency/

MTGEL33T

Smash Rookie
its all good man. Attending tournaments is a great way to learn and improve. Just dont be one of those guys who get angry they cant beat everybody and quit. Its all for fun

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
I did alright, I placed fairly low but all my matches went to game 3 last stock.

20YY SS | Saiblade

Obviously not biased towards Falco
3DS FC
3239-4949-5301
First tournament was a national, so I did absolutely horrendously. I placed 4th in pools (RR), and just got destroyed in general lol.

SlyDog

Smash Cadet
I was a Peach main at the time, and barely knew how to properly wavedash. I couldn't even make it out of pools, though, I won a few sets. I also had a Roy secondary, and almost won a few games with him as well. While I didn't do too well in Tournament, I had a ton of fun playing friendlies (whether or not I was winning or losing) which, in the end, is all that really matters. (Cheesy, I know, but it's the truth). If you wanna see how bad I was just check it out. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBhNQBTdMh8
Edit: I'm way better than this now xD

Last edited:

Boyish

Smash Rookie
Sai, your Falco is gonna get so good so long as you have fun with your local competitors and enjoy the pressure and tournament feel. It's all about enjoying the rush and excitement of playing for money. Win or lose, you learn a lot about yourself. It's awesome. STAY POSITIVE!

victinivcreate1

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Wiiu4ssb4
3DS FC
3007-8585-6950
My first tourney was in PM, like a 35 or 40 man local. I placed 17th. Got bodied by Darkblues, one of the local 3.02 beasts at the time, and some Link player who got 9th. My second PM tourney I got 17th out of 17 lmao. My third tourney I got 9th out of 40 or 50.

My first melee tourney I should have gotten 49th out fo 86 but dumb seeding meant I played a round before I actually advanced through anything so I ended up getting 65th, which was annoying. My second Melee tourney I won no games in pools. My third Melee tourney I won a set. My 4th, I've won 2, my 5th, I've won 3. That gradual improvement lyfe lol

Mtank

Smash Cadet
my first tourney was pm and my first backet match I beat the 40th best melee player in the world... had no clue till someone told me lmao

Mtank

Smash Cadet
Kalamazhu rofl. It was super cheesy, I played squirtle and I'm sure he hadnt played PM much. But hey, thats my claim to fame.

Last edited:

A_Reverie

Smash Apprentice
I won my first tourney set ever at a PM tournament with Marth. Matchup was in my favor but I made a pretty sick comeback from almost getting 3 stocked. Went 1W - 2L that tourney.

Scootch

The coolest Yoshi of them all
NNID
Little_Dragon34
dude that stinks... I hope you do better next time! :)

SMITHLER21

Smash Cadet
NNID
SMITHLER21
3DS FC
4897-6401-7861
My first tournament was a Brawl, PM and Melee tournament. I lost both my sets in melee to like the 5th best player and then some skrub i didnt know but because of seeding i got into loser's round 2 :). In PM I lost in winner's round 1 but in losers round 1 I won the set against one of my friends and in losers round 2 i fought my best friend and lost lol.
In Brawl, I won my round 1 set but lost to the 2nd best brawl player on the pr, then went down to losers and somehow made it all the way to loser's quarters.
So i basically got 5th in Brawl which was awesome
25th in Melee and 17th in PM

Last edited:

BairSSBM

Smash Rookie
I accidentally signed up for a PM tournament that I thought was Melee beforehand. I had never played PM before, and when I got there I decided to play anyway. I got double 4-stocked by a Ness, and lost 2-0 to some guy going random. I do better now, I swear.

Trezz

Smash Cadet
My first tournament was Super Smash Con last summer. I lost both of my pools matches, started my first match getting wobbled for 3 stocks both games, then lost my next match 2-1 to a random Marth. I did arguably better in friendlies, even somewhat keeping up with MikeHaze and DJ Nintendo when I played them. Overall I don't think I did terribly, but it was definitely a great learning experience and a ton of fun!

GenNyan

Smash Ace
I didn't know that there was a difference between fox's and falco's shines. Lets leave it at that.

Squelchyman

Smash Cadet
I still haven't been to a tournament yet and I'm still horrendous, though you guys have definitely allowed me to realise that I won't be the only one to get thrashed when i do go to my first one. :)

Pip_Puff

Smash Rookie
My first tournament, I won my first set 2-1

And then my next opponent was first seed "mojo", also the number 97 player in the world in 2014,

I got off two rests and lost my first game by only a stock. He actually tried the second game and four stocked me lol.

Them my third opponent it was really close, last game last stock

So 1-2 haha! But yeah, I feel like I did pretty well for my first tournament and your first tournament should just be about performing well for yourself.

Get bodied and have fun, it's good times.

Last edited:

Synnett

Alligator Lord
My first tournament was back in August. I went here with my friend, not knowing how to even waveland, as Bowser. My first match was against a Marth. It went very well, down to the last stock on each game. Even if it's a bad matchup, my spacing was good because my friend plays Link lol. But welp, I lost. Then, in the losers, I was matched against a Sheik, so gg xD

More recently I finished 7th. There was this Luigi player I sent into losers on the first round who finished 4th so I was quite happy of my performance. My last game in losers... I won against his Marth, then he switched to Sheik, I lost. So I picked Kirby - one kick and I would have won lol.

Cannoli

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0533-7469-1400
my first tournament was 2 days ago actually! I only bought the game 3 weeks ago and i placed 7th out of 32. it was so surreal.

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
Whoa, Cannoli Cannoli ! I must be really bad at the game, since I still do really badly at tournaments after all this time.

Cannoli

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0533-7469-1400
Whoa, Cannoli Cannoli ! I must be really bad at the game, since I still do really badly at tournaments after all this time.
Scootch Scootch All it takes is a lot of practice. like i play 4-5 hours a day usually and if you can play with your friends right before the tournament do it! make sure to play a lot of friendlies at the tournament because you might meet the people you play against in bracket!
I'm actually still not that good so we could train together if you wish!
I'm positive that you're better than you think you are!

Last edited:

Scootch

NNID
Little_Dragon34
Scootch Scootch All it takes is a lot of practice. like i play 4-5 hours a day usually and if you can play with your friends right before the tournament do it! make sure to play a lot of friendlies at the tournament because you might meet the people you play against in bracket!
I'm actually still not that good so we could train together if you wish!
I'm positive that you're better than you think you are!
Ah, okay. Yeah, I am not too committed to practicing. For one, my parents only let me play 45 minutes on video games a day, and second, I like to play other games besides Smash, too. But I would like to train with you sometime :)

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
This thread's back from the dead? Sweet.

I was awful. I had no tech skill, my only approach was dash attack/grab with sheik. Used to gather all my needles, roll to one side of the stage, and let them go. I beat one guy in loser's bracket, ended up going 1-2 for sets. My only "mind game" was wavedashing back to fake approaches. I got bodied by falcons. AS. SHEIK.

EDIT: Oh, this is in the puff forums, let me add a puff story

At my local, I was playing a falcon in bracket with puff. I don't want to make any assumptions, but I think this guy had some form of autism/asperger's just by the way he talked and muttered to himself while playing. After beating him 2-1, I meant to say "good games" and "you did a good job game 2," and it came out as a sarcastic "good job." I felt so bad, especially since this guy was new at our local and was younger than a lot of the people there. I'm glad though, he had a group of friends there to support him and I even offered to play friendlies later on with him.

Last edited:

rivers

Smash Cadet
I was a marth main at the time

I had to play Hbox round 2

I got three stocked

40s

Cannoli

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0533-7469-1400
Ah, okay. Yeah, I am not too committed to practicing. For one, my parents only let me play 45 minutes on video games a day, and second, I like to play other games besides Smash, too. But I would like to train with you sometime :)
Add me on 3DS and we can play whenever!:251:

KishPrime

King of the Ship of Fools
BRoomer
Came here on a whim. Found an active thread. Woo!

I started in 2003 and got 5th place of 50 at Snexus 2. I was pretty good, then got bad, then got pretty good again, and now I'm bad.

Have fun in tournaments everyone! :)

Doroco

Smash Cadet
My first tournament was an arcadian with around 120 people in 2012 ish. I didn't know how to L cancel yet and I only ever played my brothers fox. I barely made it out of pools last seed (around half made it out I think) and I won 2 matches in bracket before i got knocked out.

Top Bottom