• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How good are people on For Glory?

DKaf713

Smash Rookie
So I was wondering who still plays For Glory now that the game has been out for a long time?

What I mean is that just a few months ago I'd say I was ok at the game maybe even bad when I would play online. I'd come up against "good" opponents (I mean no offense to anyone) and constantly lose to them.

After playing a lot I started to improve fast. I could now win against the "good" players I was losing to before. For a short period I was winning almost all of my matches and doing well in the tournament mode.

Yet, this didn't last long which makes me believe that there is some sort of matchmaking. I've been getting destroyed by players who are insanely good compared to the ones I used to think were insanely good.

I guess my question is how good really are these people? Are serious players getting on For Glory, because they sure seem pretty dang good. Just trying to figure out my relative skill level and how much I've improved.

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
I'm not sure. I am in the same situation. As I have gotten better I've noticed my skill level improve at locals, as well as online. I find most of the time fg is a cakewalk, but I've started running into more people who are good. While the stage select sucks (and I'm not amazing either) it seems fg is getting better, maybe with casuals dropping off more and more?

Darkslayer

Smash Rookie
I suck at for glory, even playing as my boi (best player in the game) meta knight.

Last edited:

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
FG is iffy. Reaction time is not determined entirely by skill, but also by difference monitors/TVs AND Internet connection. So you both could be amazing, but if someone has even the slightest drawback (less FPS, slower internet, etc) then it slightly tilts in the other one's favor. In person it's the same specs, so it's an even playing field.

As for FG, some characters are bad on flat stages and some are better. I'd say all the players are generally 6-9 on a scale of 1-10, occasionally 5-10.

DKaf713

Smash Rookie
So do you guys think there is a matchmaking system or just a result of the game being out for some time and tournament mode being taken off? I'm coming up against people who utilize perfect pivot and have crazy punish games.

I suppose for glory isn't the greatest test of skill, mainly taking the lag into consideration. Also people do have strategies and characters that can abuse the lag, and lack of stages.

TheWanderer

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1478-5231-0865
I still go on for glory, and my match-ups are decent. For me, it really depends on who I'm playing against. There is a diversity of many smash players in the world.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
For Glory is honestly still a mixed bag, to be honest.

It really depends on just how lucky you can get on a certain day. I'm still finding potatoes, salty folks, and others who are mediocre or rely too heavily on certain tactics that I proved ten times over doesn't work on me; however if I'm really lucky I'll be able to get thrashed for an hour or two by good players. I've noticed better players tend to be on at much later times though if that helps.

Either way I don't feel like For Glory has really changed much. I don't even go in it as often as I used to since I've found several Smash related Discords where I can find far better players much easier. Plus the matches feel much more real and lively as well.

Also being able to pick legal stages is an added bonus instead of being forced to play on Omegas only...

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
I've replied before, but lately my take has been this.

Most people on FG have 1 trick that they have while they play. And most of the time, as soon as you identify it, they don't adapt and just get destroyed match after match.

Most don't change up approaches, or only use a characters good moves, making them really predictable.

I meet lots of duds online too, either super laggy, no input, or DC 20 seconds into a match they're losing so I have to play a CPU.

I really wish they let you see the ping of your opponent so you could just leave without going into the match.

-----

But every once and while you get connected to a good player who has a slick internet connection. Oh man.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
on 3DS, I can assure the general level is nonexistant. They spam the same move over and over, and I have lost count on how many times I have managed to win WITHOUT MOVING or by doing crazy flashy challenges like only using Rest or Flare Blitz.

However, once in a blue moon you find a good player, mostly Greninja, DeDeDe or Marth mains that will space you out and juggle you like nobody's business and will consistently combo, edgeguard and ledge trap you into oblivion if you give them the smallest opening.

Last edited:

Arpy

Smash Rookie
NNID
mothernrothers
In my experience mostgood players on FG appear at night and everyone else is meh

DonOwens

Smash Cadet
I think the connection is the biggest part of it. Unless both connections are proper it's hard to judge. I played a falcon yesterday that lagged so much but seemed to almost have the lag calibrated, like he was used to having a booty connection. Not fun at all.
But assuming connections are viable, it's pretty hit or miss. I'd say about 50% are at the moderate level, with the other 50% being split between beginner and intermediate. I don't consider myself very good at smash 4 but I have had very few matches where I lost decisively.

Next_Evo64

Smash Rookie
NNID
Minecrafttours
3DS FC
2853-1086-6195
To be honest, I know what it's like to win. Of the 930 (1-on-1) matches I have fought in, I have only won 320 of those fights. I'm inexperienced, but I do know that matches are not fixed to where they put a young gun against a Smash veteran. Even I know that. My Sonic has failed against various Clouds, won against Sheiks, and has had its ups and downs on the rest of the roster, but I'll only get better. It's all I can hope and practice for.

Last edited:

Heracr055

Smash Ace
On the contrary, I find the level of 3ds For Glory players to be pretty good. In addition, if someone can spam an option and get away with it, why shouldn't they? The best exception to this rule is, of course, lag/input delay. That's why I can't punish Samus' rolls (grr)

Nathan Richardson

Smash Ace
NNID
Zeratrix
I can safely say after playing on FG exclusively that it's a very mixed bag. You get anything from people who seemed to pick up the game on that day to veterans who can beat you with one hand tied behind their back. The median is people who know what their character's options are but are inconsistent with them aka still practicing.

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
On the contrary, I find the level of 3ds For Glory players to be pretty good. In addition, if someone can spam an option and get away with it, why shouldn't they? The best exception to this rule is, of course, lag/input delay. That's why I can't punish Samus' rolls (grr)
Why I hate Spamus in a nutshell. That and the fact I cannot reliably powershield or dodge her damn Charge Shot when the game lags. And because her rolls become untouchable, she can charge them at will :(

BTW Which is your 3DS tag? Maybe we actually fought each other. Mine is JoanAP

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Why I hate Spamus in a nutshell. That and the fact I cannot reliably powershield or dodge her damn Charge Shot when the game lags. And because her rolls become untouchable, she can charge them at will :(

BTW Which is your 3DS tag? Maybe we actually fought each other. Mine is JoanAP
Play a good Villager. I suspect if you happen to face one, you'll loathe that match more than Samus. Link, Toon Link, Mega Man, and Villager are the most vile when it comes to spamming. Also, it's really not fair to call out a character like Samus. She excels at a distance. If her CQC wasn't poor, then she wouldn't have to rely so much on projectiles. It's obvious that her jab was designed poorly, since the game itself points it out. The developers knew what they were doing. The fault isn't on Samus or those who use her. It's on the developers. As for Samus' roll, it's the worst in the game. Even online, it shouldn't be difficult to deal with. Characters like Mario or Diddy Kong are more troublesome.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I play FG Teams every day just about. Most of the time it's 2 good players, me and 1 crappy player. Rarely it's 3 good players. I do believe the "match up system" is in part based on your win/loss record. I would imagine the higher your % the harder your match will be, but I've no way to confirm this other than my own experience. I've also run into the same players multiple times. There's some who have improved over the months and some who have not. It just depends. Some players are almost unbeatable. But no one is 100 percent unbeatable in FG teams. Now on 1v1, yeah I get destroyed pretty heavily by even average players. I'm just not a 1v1 buff. Teams or gtfo :D

SJMistery

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0920-3611-4128
Play a good Villager. I suspect if you happen to face one, you'll loathe that match more than Samus.
Actually I have no trouble with Villager. His Fair can't hit me from my best range, the pocket won't affect Greninja that much, and you can just sit near a ledge and wait for him to approach.

The best part is that the Lloyd Rocket initial hitbox is so laggy I can dash grab it from the other side of the stage, Up Smash beats his turnips (they have a hitbox for some reason), and his recovery is relatively slow and punishable, meaning he is easy Shadow Sneak bait.

The problem with Samus is that my router constantly causes lag spikes. Her roll has quite a bit of distance and a tiny hitbox, and Charge Shot is very powerful and can break a shield in two hits; and that mixed with random lag means the roll is impossible to punish and spamming the Charge Shot and the missiles that are now impossible to jump out or powershield in time.

EDIT: About the other three, finding "good" players with them is essentially impossible on 3DS. The links, at most, are easy Substitute fodder due to their Dair spamming habits, and Water Shuriken can out-camp them as they cannot shield cancel their projectiles, while the Shuriken can randomly jank and pierce below their shields. Mega man... I have fought him at all can be counted with one hand, nevermind a decent one. The last time I picked random and got Kirby. Too bad I lost the replay of him SDing with Crash Bomber.

Last edited:

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Actually I have no trouble with Villager. His Fair can't hit me from my best range, the pocket won't affect Greninja that much, and you can just sit near a ledge and wait for him to approach.

The best part is that the Lloyd Rocket initial hitbox is so laggy I can dash grab it from the other side of the stage, Up Smash beats his turnips (they have a hitbox for some reason), and his recovery is relatively slow and punishable, meaning he is easy Shadow Sneak bait.

The problem with Samus is that my router constantly causes lag spikes. Her roll has quite a bit of distance and a tiny hitbox, and Charge Shot is very powerful and can break a shield in two hits; and that mixed with random lag means the roll is impossible to punish and spamming the Charge Shot and the missiles that are now impossible to jump out or powershield in time.
All right, but I didn't just mention Villager. Maybe get your router checked. Samus has the worst roll in the game. You might want to find a way to deal with it because if you're playing against a Samus who rolls a lot, then it should be easy to pick up the habit. I personally don't roll very much. If I do, it's either by accident, or it's deliberate and not abused. Charge Shot is only effective if you use your shield a lot. Otherwise, in an ideal setting, you could perfect shield it.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Mostly horribly bad. I almost always win. Though maybe I am just really good.

SmolNozomi

Smash Cadet
It's all a mixed bag of good and bad for me, but most of the time I struggle with Mario, the Dreaded Duo (The thing that resides in the sky and the Queen of Combos), Marth, and DK. Though, my main probably has something to do with this...

A Scrub

BonghornLeghorn
NNID
BonghornLeghorn
It's all a mixed bag of good and bad for me, but most of the time I struggle with Mario, the Dreaded Duo (The thing that resides in the sky and the Queen of Combos), Marth, and DK. Though, my main probably has something to do with this...
RIP D3

TriTails

Smash Lord
From my own experience tbh, I'd split 3DS PG players into three stages:
1. The ones that bring in input lag.
- I either immediately SD or play in a half-a**ed way. Either way, when there's input lag, never ever take the match seriously.

2. The ones that looks 'good' but then you realize they're simply spamming the same tactic over and over again, and don't adapt when they get countered for the umphteenth time.
- They're good punching bags most of the time. Sometimes the said tactic can be a pain to get around (Cloud's aerials vs Luigi, yeah), but I usually still emerge victorious since they're as predictable as they can be. Then I destroy their autopilot selves in the next game (if they didn't quit already). Good for learning how to defend yourself against certain moves, but gets boring quickly after 2 games. (Bayos spamming Side-B against a 25% killing Up-B, or Yoshis that F-airs every time they need to land or you're offstage REEEE--)

3. The ones that legit looks like a tourney player from a FG standpoint, with precise spacing, conversion, conditioning, you name them.
- The group that I search for the most. Even from the start, you'd know they know what they're doing instead of simply pressing buttons in a flowchart. You can usually identify this from Bayos who actually legit 0-death you (let's be honest. Bayos online can only spam Up-B but they can't combo hard to save their lives), or Marths that uses a bunch of mindgames to attack your shields. Sadly though, half of these players don't stick around after one game, but when they do, you better be taking notes, and be in for a good time.

SmolNozomi

Smash Cadet
I guess I can also make my list of FG peeps...
1) The Newbie:
Nothing special, just people who just started and will get destroyed by you. Little Mac is famous among them
2)"Bad" Spammers:
The people who have no other strategies than throwing their little toys at you at the other side of the stage. Also that person who spams Kirby's Stone or Bowser's Bowser Bomb, etc. A bit difficult to play around, but will soon become your own punching bag.
3)"Good" Spammers:
Those who have the brain power to realize they can use projectiles to their advantage to create destruction combos. Hard to play against, but respectable.
4) 60% of the people:
Decent, average FG person with a hardy amount of experience. Knows their character(s) well and will provide a good fight. Treat them with respect and they will probably treat you with a friendly GG
5) That Smug Kid:
Taunts whenever he kills you, or when the red sparks show. Provide no mercy and beat down on his sorry butt.
6)

The people who will make you cry and feel useless. Can be identified by their precise combos, perfect pivots, techs, spacing, b-reversals.
Can be anyone, but mostly consists of (Based of my experience) Mario, Marth, Luigi, DK, Bayo, Greninja, Fox, Villager, and the eldritch god that is Pac-Man

1FC0

Smash Lord
6)

The people who will make you cry and feel useless. Can be identified by their precise combos, perfect pivots, techs, spacing, b-reversals.
Can be anyone, but mostly consists of (Based of my experience) Mario, Marth, Luigi, DK, Bayo, Greninja, Fox, Villager, and the eldritch god that is Pac-Man
You mean those people that talk about my R.O.B. the way that you talk about them.

Last edited:

SmolNozomi

Smash Cadet
No, in all cases, i highly respect everyone who does what I said.
My post was half serious and half joke

1FC0

Smash Lord
No, in all cases, i highly respect everyone who does what I said.
My post was half serious and half joke
But what about people who soup the people that you mentioned like the noobs they are? And yes they are noobs by my standards. I estimate that I have 5000 times more skill then them.

Except this one guy I once met he got me to 28% before I 2-stocked him which was insane. I only had about 400 times more skill then he had. He was really good. Of course I had to answer the phone and thus was only playing with one hand but still to get 28% damage on me is very impressive.

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
But what about people who soup the people that you mentioned like the noobs they are? And yes they are noobs by my standards. I estimate that I have 5000 times more skill then them.

Except this one guy I once met he got me to 28% before I 2-stocked him which was insane. I only had about 400 times more skill then he had. He was really good. Of course I had to answer the phone and thus was only playing with one hand but still to get 28% damage on me is very impressive.
Hey look it's "That Smug Kid". Thanks for the chuckle.

To the OP:
For Glory has been a mixed bag for me. Many spammers, trash talkers, and SDers. I am not very good, but I have still managed to win a few matches still. Just keep at it and you will eventually improve and start to have fun. Keep in mind that FG skill doesn't necessarily translate to actual skill at this game.

tskidless

Smash Cadet
NNID
tskidless
From my own experience tbh, I'd split 3DS PG players into three stages:
1. The ones that bring in input lag.
- I either immediately SD or play in a half-a**ed way. Either way, when there's input lag, never ever take the match seriously.

2. The ones that looks 'good' but then you realize they're simply spamming the same tactic over and over again, and don't adapt when they get countered for the umphteenth time.
- They're good punching bags most of the time. Sometimes the said tactic can be a pain to get around (Cloud's aerials vs Luigi, yeah), but I usually still emerge victorious since they're as predictable as they can be. Then I destroy their autopilot selves in the next game (if they didn't quit already). Good for learning how to defend yourself against certain moves, but gets boring quickly after 2 games. (Bayos spamming Side-B against a 25% killing Up-B, or Yoshis that F-airs every time they need to land or you're offstage REEEE--)

3. The ones that legit looks like a tourney player from a FG standpoint, with precise spacing, conversion, conditioning, you name them.
- The group that I search for the most. Even from the start, you'd know they know what they're doing instead of simply pressing buttons in a flowchart. You can usually identify this from Bayos who actually legit 0-death you (let's be honest. Bayos online can only spam Up-B but they can't combo hard to save their lives), or Marths that uses a bunch of mindgames to attack your shields. Sadly though, half of these players don't stick around after one game, but when they do, you better be taking notes, and be in for a good time.
More or less this. I usually get people who are either really good or decent but predictable, but it's a ton of fun when you do find someone who is close to your skill level. A lot of players are predictable and will do stuff like airdodge when you get close to them and usually will get up from the ledge the same way every time. Doubles is a whole different can of worms, so much spam and partners that play real defensive and never help you or the exact inverse, someone who is insanely aggressive and will "assist" you by dash attacking someone you grabbed and ruin your combos with something random.

Spud125

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2360-0901-6241
I play For Glory and it is just a mix of players, you can combat anyone, one day, for example: I found a bayonnetta main and she/he was bad playing, while other day I found a megaman main and he almost beated me up.

Kono

Smash Rookie
I play smash bros on 3ds and the FG players are absolutely good.

At night is when the good FG players go online.

Decs24000

Smash Rookie
well would you look at this, i commented an opinion i had years agp, and i dont even agree with it now.

Top Bottom