• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How good are amiibo`s for training?

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
do they actually make good training partners? do you think getting an amiibo would be helpful for a player trying to improve? I haven`t gotten one yet, but might buy one in the future if they are really legit. Do you think they will be really helpful for someone playing competitively or more of a thing you just do for fun?

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
They DO pick up your habits if you play the same character as your amiibo.
So if you can find its bad habits and punish them, you'll know what to fix in your playstyle with that particular character.
Higher level Amiibo have BS reaction times though. I literally could not land a single hit on my lvl 50 Pikachu unless it was a punish.
I DID treat it to a TON of Counters once though, by frustration, and my Pikachu literally stands around doing nothing sometimes. It simply depended on its own insane reaction time to block and dodge absolutely everything. It's a boring Pikachu.

So yeah, unless you want that to happen to you, don't spam counter against your amiibo. It's a lot more fun fighting an aggressive amiibo than fighting one that barely attacks you.

amiibos are pretty much only for fun. It's like fighting a level 9 computer; sometimes you do it for fun, but it's still generally better to not play against them regularly.

Last edited:

Davis-Lightheart

Smash Journeyman
They're only good for the early stage of going from incompetent to competent. They allow you to learn just a little bit more about your approaches and style as they basically adapt a little bit of you with a more competent spin to it.

But they are definitely not replacements for human partners once you become competent. But they are good beginners partners for those who don't have access to people.

RTGNTV

Smash Rookie
do they actually make good training partners? do you think getting an amiibo would be helpful for a player trying to improve? I haven`t gotten one yet, but might buy one in the future if they are really legit. Do you think they will be really helpful for someone playing competitively or more of a thing you just do for fun?
What level is yours?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Frankly, Amiibos are pretty awful for practice.

Not only are they merely AIs, who will fail to adapt to and punish your bad habits while conditioning you to focus on AI-exploitative techniques that will fail against humans, but Amiibos have stat-based handicaps. This means that an Amiibo will not move or hit like a real character, totally undermining the point of practice.

FoxxyGramps

Smash Rookie
they do learn and adapt though. my wolf amiibo seems to have the highest capacity to adapt out of my 10 different amiibos. i would start to exploit his failure to air dodge my uair chains, but only after maybe 4-5, he tends to get savvy to that and either avoids them or up b's down into me when it would take my fox around 8-10 juggles for it to adapt and my falco even longer. i think it's more about how you abuse its stupidity at lower levels. i was ruthless with the uairs against wolf on the first few matches. he even uses uair a lot more than my other spacies. idk if their reads are on point or if they have near frame perfect reaction times, but they usually can smash me (if their smash is fast enough) out of a roll no matter when or where i do it.

edit: maybe im just bad, though

Last edited:
Top Bottom