• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Exactly Should I choose a 64 Main?

NotEvenAmatueR

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Teamplays
I've been wanting to get into 64 for a while now, but a huge problem with me is that I can't find a character to play. I don't inherently understand any character in the game, and it's hard to find a character that clicks with me. Can someone give me a basic rundown of the 64 characters and what makes them good? I do want to main a viable character. I've just had struggles finding my fit.

Characters I like in this game:
:kirby64::falcon64::fox64::mario64::link64::dk64::luigi64:

Saltsizzle

Smash Journeyman
I've been wanting to get into 64 for a while now, but a huge problem with me is that I can't find a character to play. I don't inherently understand any character in the game, and it's hard to find a character that clicks with me. Can someone give me a basic rundown of the 64 characters and what makes them good? I do want to main a viable character. I've just had struggles finding my fit.

http://smashboards.com/threads/updated-and-organized-character-guide.391310/

This is a basic guide that gives more info which may help you narrow it down. At the end of the day, it's a personal choice on who you should main with many different factors that go into the decision.

D

Deleted member

i'd start with an easy character to use, so you can get the tech down first. then once you master that, then experiment with all the characters, and naturally you should find your main. :)

ElViejoZunY

Smash Apprentice
"Do I like this character?"

-If No, pick another character
-If Yes, ask yourself:

"Do I like his style?"

-If Yes, ask yourself:

"Do I feel comfy playing it?"

-If Yes, ask yourself:

"Is it tournament viable?"

If you believe in tier list, go and check it:
-If Yes, Main

If you don´t believe in tier list, think about what definition you have about a "viable character" and if that character fixs with your definition
-If Yes, Main

Synth177

Smash Rookie
Start from the top of the tier list and go down till you find someone you like.

Tom Bombadil

Smash Journeyman
I'm not saying this should be your main, but I believe that the best character to start with is Mario :mario64:. This is because it is my opinion that Mario transitions well into almost every other character and can naturally utilize the entire trinity of playstyles: attrition, combo, and gimp.

But before I give some reasoning, I think that a lot of choosing a main depends on what your goal is. If you don't care about this game and just want easy wins, Kirby has by far the best ratio of strength to practice time required. For the sake of this post, I'll assume that your goal is to be a well-rounded, solid smash player a year or two down the road. And for this I think Mario as a first character is the best choice.

There are three main playstyles: attrition, combo, and gimp. Attrition is how most of the smash series is played after 64. You rack up damage by using your characters best moves and options and then knock your opponent far enough offstage that they can't recover, or else find an opening for a small combo and use your finisher (dair > upsmash on Mario for example). Mario can play the attrition style very naturally with his solid hitboxes, decent projectile, and strong recovery. Since you can't really be gimped, racking up damage slowly is a safe style. The attrition playstyle relies on outspacing your opponent consistently. This may either be because you are a stronger player (overall or in the matchup) or else because your character's attacks have better hitboxes.

The combo playstyle is the hallmark of 64: stringing together moves close enough together that your opponent can only DI. Mario's combos are pretty solid, often using SH dair > uair into more uairs but he can also sometimes get fair or nair chains more horizontally. His upsmash finisher is exceptionally strong but even a bair or fair into edgeguard will often be enough.

The gimp playstyle relies on killing your opponent early by taking advantage of their poor recovery. Obviously, this style can only be used against certain characters but learning how to consistently gimp is essential for many matchups at a higher level. Mario gimps well since his throws are both relatively horizontal and his dair pushes downwards enough to make it effective even against strong DI. When Mario plays someone like Falcon or Fox, he will attempt a gimp whenever possible.

Since Mario can play the three main playstyles very effectively, getting good with Mario will naturally make you good at the most important aspects of the game. This allows you to transition and learn other characters quite easily:
- Luigi :luigi64:: very similar moveset, combo forms are the same except for upB finisher, recovery tools are nearly identical
- Falcon :falcon64:: Mario's uair combos provide a solid foundation to learn Falcon combos and much of the intuition overlaps
- Fox :fox64:: often considered a faster version of Mario, Fox can also play all the playstyles naturally though his poor recovery will be a challenge initially
- Pikachu :pikachu64:: Gimp style is remarkably similar (throw > offstage edgeguard or fsmash/dsmash). Additionally, strong aerial hitboxes, nair, jab grab, strong upsmash, aerial speed (and others I haven't thought of) are all shared traits

So if you believe what I've written, learning Mario will give you a great start on another 4 characters. You get almost half the cast essentially for free! And of course these are just the character who I think have strong similarities with Mario.

You might think that you could make this argument about any character but I really don't believe that to be true. Learning Ness doesn't give you a lot of insight into the other characters. He shares the DJC technique with Yoshi but they use it very differently and his main playstyle is combo/tech-chase which is rather unique. The most similar thing to Firo's Ness tech chasing with dairs on platforms is Josuke's Samus, but Ness and Samus are very different characters. Learning one doesn't really guarantee you'll be good with the other.

A few final things to recommend about Mario:
1. He's on the upper side of the middle of the tier list. This means that you can pick up stronger characters later and fully appreciate their strengths. I know a lot of people who start with PIkachu then don't pick up a secondary for years and years because everyone feels so weak in comparison
2. He's a less-played character which means you won't have to worry about playing people who have years of matchup knowledge on you 99% of the time (trying to learn Falcon by playing online Pikachus was the worst)
3. He's slow enough that you won't stumble all over yourself while learning tech

Sorry for this long post, I've been thinking about this for a long time and haven't put it into writing before

Last edited:

Uair

Banned via Warnings
I'm not saying this should be your main, but I believe that the best character to start with is Mario :mario64:. This is because it is my opinion that Mario transitions well into almost every other character and can naturally utilize the entire trinity of playstyles: attrition, combo, and gimp.

But before I give some reasoning, I think that a lot of choosing a main depends on what your goal is. If you don't care about this game and just want easy wins, Kirby has by far the best ratio of strength to practice time required. For the sake of this post, I'll assume that your goal is to be a well-rounded, solid smash player a year or two down the road. And for this I think Mario as a first character is the best choice.

There are three main playstyles: attrition, combo, and gimp. Attrition is how most of the smash series is played after 64. You rack up damage by using your characters best moves and options and then knock your opponent far enough offstage that they can't recover, or else find an opening for a small combo and use your finisher (dair > upsmash on Mario for example). Mario can play the attrition style very naturally with his solid hitboxes, decent projectile, and strong recovery. Since you can't really be gimped, racking up damage slowly is a safe style. The attrition playstyle relies on outspacing your opponent consistently. This may either be because you are a stronger player (overall or in the matchup) or else because your character's attacks have better hitboxes.

The combo playstyle is the hallmark of 64: stringing together moves close enough together that your opponent can only DI. Mario's combos are pretty solid, often using SH dair > uair into more uairs but he can also sometimes get fair or nair chains more horizontally. His upsmash finisher is exceptionally strong but even a bair or fair into edgeguard will often be enough.

The gimp playstyle relies on killing your opponent early by taking advantage of their poor recovery. Obviously, this style can only be used against certain characters but learning how to consistently gimp is essential for many matchups at a higher level. Mario gimps well since his throws are both relatively horizontal and his dair pushes downwards enough to make it effective even against strong DI. When Mario plays someone like Falcon or Fox, he will attempt a gimp whenever possible.

Since Mario can play the three main playstyles very effectively, getting good with Mario will naturally make you good at the most important aspects of the game. This allows you to transition and learn other characters quite easily:
- Luigi :luigi64:: very similar moveset, combo forms are the same except for upB finisher, recovery tools are nearly identical
- Falcon :falcon64:: Mario's uair combos provide a solid foundation to learn Falcon combos and much of the intuition overlaps
- Fox :fox64:: often considered a faster version of Mario, Fox can also play all the playstyles naturally though his poor recovery will be a challenge initially
- Pikachu :pikachu64:: Gimp style is remarkably similar (throw > offstage edgeguard or fsmash/dsmash). Additionally, strong aerial hitboxes, nair, jab grab, strong upsmash, aerial speed (and others I haven't thought of) are all shared traits

So if you believe what I've written, learning Mario will give you a great start on another 4 characters. You get almost half the cast essentially for free! And of course these are just the character who I think have strong similarities with Mario.

You might think that you could make this argument about any character but I really don't believe that to be true. Learning Ness doesn't give you a lot of insight into the other characters. He shares the DJC technique with Yoshi but they use it very differently and his main playstyle is combo/tech-chase which is rather unique. The most similar thing to Firo's Ness tech chasing with dairs on platforms is Josuke's Samus, but Ness and Samus are very different characters. Learning one doesn't really guarantee you'll be good with the other.

A few final things to recommend about Mario:
1. He's on the upper side of the middle of the tier list. This means that you can pick up stronger characters later and fully appreciate their strengths. I know a lot of people who start with PIkachu then don't pick up a secondary for years and years because everyone feels so weak in comparison
2. He's a less-played character which means you won't have to worry about playing people who have years of matchup knowledge on you 99% of the time (trying to learn Falcon by playing online Pikachu's was the worst)
3. He's slow enough that you won't stumble all over yourself while learning tech

Sorry for this long post, I've been thinking about this for a long time and haven't put it into writing before

Didn't read.

Uair

Banned via Warnings
Didn't read tbh imo
But the post above yours was pretty good.
If you did not inadvertently read my post you probably have some kind of medical condition I'm unfamiliar with so I can't insult you by diagnosing you with it.

jonnnnnnnn

Smash Rookie
If you did not inadvertently read my post you probably have some kind of medical condition I'm unfamiliar with so I can't insult you by diagnosing you with it.
Bro if all you care about is playing the game obviously this aint the thread for you.
cmon bro.
Tom Bombadil Tom Bombadil very nice walkthrough of the process, imma start implementing this in friendlies and just casual matches.
Love your vids btw.

D

Deleted member

Bro if all you care about is playing the game obviously this aint the thread for you.
cmon bro.
Tom Bombadil Tom Bombadil very nice walkthrough of the process, imma start implementing this in friendlies and just casual matches.
Love your vids btw.
i know right, people need to read the op and be more respectful of others

D

Deleted member

Pick Kirby. KIRBY FOR SSS TIER!!!

All jokes aside, I would pick an easy character to play, like Mario or Luigi, and master teching, shielding, and grabbing with them. Then pick Kirby.
Luigi is by no means 'easy'

Top Bottom