• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How EXACTLY do you jab cancel?

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
idk why but I randomly suck at it, just like gentleman in Melee with falcon i just don't fully understand how the game reads what I do and it only works sometimes randomly

I always do the triple jab combo by just holding A, but I figure I might as well do the first 2 jabs, then the triple combo for more damage. But I suck *** at doing it and only get it randomly, I know holding down has something to do with it. Can someone please explain this in a lot of detail for me

bladeboys

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bladeboys
You basically hold down after the first or second jab but I think you want to know how to do this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zmQXQENPv4

If the second jab doesn't hit the opponent and that you are holding the A button, you will do the first jab again and as long as the second jab won't hit the opponent it will go back to the first jab. So this is not jab cancel but SUPER jab cancel haha, you don't have to press A to do this but you have to put your opponent into the air with the first jab. You can try in the training mode on a lightwieght character like Kirby. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcOYnCHaFAo at 0:50)

If you are talking about this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EluF2eGkKyI
This is jab cancel and you have to crouch between 2 jabs

If I'm wrong or if you don't understand, please give him more details ^^

PS : you should ask questions in Ashu's library

Somebody Else

Smash Apprentice
The idea is just to crouch in-between... Then crouch so fast you don't even see it, and keep jabbing. Just comes down to timing. You don't really hold down, just tap it down. Unfortunately the timing is different depending on whether you hit someone or not, so don't practice without actually hitting anything.

Teh Brettster

Smash Master
Well, these guys basically explained it. As long as you crouch, it cancels. I'll say a little more about the execution.
Of course, it also cancels if you turn around. So if you jab someone and they go behind you, you can turn around and just keep jabbing, or if you think you can follow with a Bair, you can turn around without crouching and do the Bair.

=*=*=*=All you have to do is recognize the timing for when the attack ends. Don't HOLD down. Just lightly tap down (--buffered--) between jabs-- as if you were doing a tilt-- and let go of the control stick before you press A again. Once you do that, the timing becomes easier than second nature. It will require all of 30 seconds of practice, seriously.=*=*=*=

As for how many to use... well.. I'll just give you a very quick run-down. Jab1 to Jab1 is a true combo. Jab2 to Jab1 is not. Mario's Uair, Marth's Fair, any frame 1 attack can interrupt. Watch out for that. But know that some players will figure out how to SDI Jab1 pretty well, so don't just repeat Jab1-Jab1 a bunch. A bit of experience will be the best way to learn when to finish the combo or follow up with something else.

Aaaaaaand next time, post in our Q&A thread, "Ashunera's Library."

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
Dude, I meant this probably like when M2K posted on the Pit boards, claiming he was switching mains, but apparently someone else was using his account for a joke because he left a computer with his account logged on at a smashfest, or something like that. -_-

I'm doubting it's actually M2K asking how to do something as simple as jab canceling.

Unless he actually is, in which case I'll be laughing quietly while agreeing with what everyone else said. :D

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Pressing down buffers a crouch on the first frame you are allowed to move, which helps since iirc IASA windows for Jab to Jab2 sequences last longer than the actual ending lag of the Jab.

If you want to Jab cancel into different moves, technically crouching expends one extra frame according to Magus from his guide on Jab Canceling with Luigi. Like if you want to Jab cancel into D-smash, you're supposed to just wait for a specific timing before hitting the C stick down.

Holding diagonally downwards and backwards buffers a crouch and an invalid tilt direction, which allows you to auto Jab cancel too.

Technologikall

Smash Apprentice
Jab Canceling is easy for me. But that's me. You're M2K. You have other (read: less) Brawl skills than me. So in your case it might take a while before you can do it.

Don't give up though, you will probably never reach my skill level, but maybe you can come close to it if you practice good enough.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
I've met m2k and I doubt he's the sort of guy who'd troll, its probably just something he never really bothered to look into until now since you dont really ever have to jab cancel with metaknight.

Dude, I meant this probably like when M2K posted on the Pit boards, claiming he was switching mains
nah its valid dude, m2k uses ike for low tier tourneys if I am not mistaken.
I know that he's won low tier doubles in a double ike team lololol what a winner.

theeboredone

Smash Legend
You guys are sick. You bash people when they walk and make these topics if they are newbs or people you have never heard of it, but don't say a single thing to M2K. Double Standard to the extreme.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Wouldn't in be M2K's fault for taking advantage of his status then? =P

theeboredone

Smash Legend
Wouldn't in be M2K's fault for taking advantage of his status then? =P
More of the blame goes on the people for taking in his status as something to glorify. M2K did nothing to show his status off, let alone intimidate the people here. He just walked in and made a common mistake.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
You guys are sick. You bash people when they walk and make these topics if they are newbs or people you have never heard of it, but don't say a single thing to M2K. Double Standard to the extreme.
ZOMG M2K, YUR SUCH A NUB, JAB CANCELS R 2 EE-Z. QUIT TEH BRAWLZ

happy?
:laugh:

Nidtendofreak

Smash Hero
NNID
TheNiddo
3DS FC
3668-7651-8940
ZOMG M2K, YUR SUCH A NUB, JAB CANCELS R 2 EE-Z. QUIT TEH BRAWLZ

happy?
:laugh:
I thought you said you didn't use Ike dude. >_>

I vote for this topic being marked as 'spam'. We clearly have a Q&A topic where this could have been asked and frankly: we need to stop the influx that has occurred lately of dumb questions.

WolfReflection

Smash Cadet
Yes. Well, I know what measure will likely be taken to ensure no further replies, so in which case...

inb4lock :chuckle:

Top Bottom