• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does the PGR and other rankings calculate people's ranks?

D

Deleted member

I am the Smash Captain at my school(Basically the TO), and I want to rank the players for next season accurately. So I decided to look into how the PGR formulates their rankings. I could not find anything at all with the PGR, so I looked at how others do their ranking. I could not find anything at all. Does anyone know how the PGR ranks players, or know another way to rank players? This would help a lot. Thank you.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I am the Smash Captain at my school(Basically the TO), and I want to rank the players for next season accurately. So I decided to look into how the PGR formulates their rankings. I could not find anything at all with the PGR, so I looked at how others do their ranking. I could not find anything at all. Does anyone know how the PGR ranks players, or know another way to rank players? This would help a lot. Thank you.
In all previous iterations of the PGR, it has used an algorithm which mathematically calculates the strength of each player. Each tournament is given a point value based on the skill of players in attendance, the number of players who competed, or both. From there, set outcomes and placings are given some mathematical weight. The PGR was calculated iteratively over the course of a season. So, if a player did really well at an event, they were then considered "strong," so beating them at an event later in the season would be rewarded more than if you beat them earlier in said season. The algorithm was privately developed and maintained, and was not publicly available.

Here is some more information on it: https://www.redbull.com/us-en/pgrv5-faq

In future iterations of the PGRU, it was planned that the rankings move to a panel-based system wherein panelists individually make lists of players in order of skill. Then all of the lists would be aggregated into a single list for publication. This is how Melee It On Me's top 100 listing, as well as PMRank's top 50 listing, had historically been made. However, given the state of the world as a result of COVID-19, the PGRU is considered frozen and events do not count for its ranking until such time as the pandemic is over.

For a school ranking with small numbers of players, I recommend looking into maintaining a TrueSkill or Elo rating system. I don't think it'd be worth it to make a panel and have people vote for a rankings list, plus the other options can be updated after each tournament.

Top Bottom