• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does Sonic beat Diddy Kong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catfish_Mike

Smash Cadet
I played against a pretty **** good Diddy for about an hour last night, and didn't win a single match. How the hell do you guys beat this kid?

Bananas weren't the problem, and I can rack up the damage easy enough. But every time I went for a kill move the start-up was just too much and Diddy pounded me out of it. I got a few kills from gimping him on recovery, and a couple of well-timed f-smashes, but for the most part I got creamed. Is this just how all of Sonic's matches play out?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
Diddy's attack speed and good aerial game makes him another one of those characters that are resilient to high-pressure play; so, it's usually better to make use of the small range advantage you have to continually push him towards the edge.

Forward tilting Diddy off the edge is a lot easier than f-smashing. After that just go for an edge guard. Diddy's recovery is not particularly hard to guard if you get used to it.

Lyoncet

Smash Apprentice
As others have said, your game needs to change considerably when fighting Diddy. The spring-drop is a must, since if you hit Diddy while he's charging his up-b, the rockets fall off and he's essentially screwed. Aside from that, you really can't camp him off the edge because he'll just side-b spike you. Also, the peanut gun pressures you to get in close, but the banana peels make you stay airborne, which as we all know sucks for closing as Sonic. You can counteract this somewhat by spin charge jumping, which gives good areal momentum and puts the pressure back on him.

Basically, Diddy's a ***** for Sonic. Fortunately, he suffers from some of the same problems as Sonic, so you can at least take comfort in that.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
You can grab the peanuts pretty easily. Just hit "a" when they're close to you, or if you don't feel safe doing that, short hop/fast fall a fair and you'll catch the peanut.

Then, just throw those suckers right back at the lil' bugger.
Same goes for the banana. Do a dashing attack right over the banana and you can pick it up and throw it back at him. Don't be afraid to camp Diddy out, everything he can use as a projectile can be used against him.

spiderman621

Smash Cadet
Diddy's attack speed and good aerial game makes him another one of those characters that are resilient to high-pressure play; so, it's usually better to make use of the small range advantage you have to continually push him towards the edge.

Forward tilting Diddy off the edge is a lot easier than f-smashing. After that just go for an edge guard. Diddy's recovery is not particularly hard to guard if you get used to it.
This is going to sound really noobish, but what do you mean by tilt?

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
You know, a tilt attack? Tilt the control stick a certain direction and hit "a."

Soloman

Smash Apprentice
kinda like input analogy dashing is to smashing; as walking is to tilting.

soft.....TOUCH!!!!! mmmmhmm:chuckle:

and dont feel bad bout askin questions, almost all the guys on the sonic board are cool ppz who are here to help u'ze .positive feedbacl ftw

Catfish_Mike

Smash Cadet
Alright, thanks for the tips, I'll try and play the guy again to see how it turns out. On a side note, what does everyone have their C-stick set for? Mine's usually on tilts.

TwinkleToes

Smash Lord
I just keep it on smashes but tilts is probably ok if you string them into combos a lot. You'll have a much harder time hyphen smashing and stutter stepping though.

Krynxe

I can't pronounce it either
3DS FC
4511-0472-1729
@ mbaby mbaby This is Brawl character discussion. That kind of discussion should be in the Project M boards.

Also, avoid bumping year-old threads in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom