• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does one play against DDD?

Animignis

Smash Cadet
First of all, I am not a DDD main. I main Yoshi and Falco. According to all of my friends that I play against regularly though, DDD SHOULD be my main. My training partners are Lucas and Ike mains and most of our games are pretty close when I play Yoshi but for some reason I can consistently 3 or 4-stock them with DDD (unless I decide to swallow-cide them 2-3 times in a row).

Most of the time I just grab, toss off stage, and edge-guard with down-B / Ftilt / Fair / swallow-cide.

Neither of them have a clue on how to handle this MU and as hilarious as it is destroying them with one of my secondaries I'd like to help them figure this out. Is DDD just that good?

Thor

Smash Champion
First of all, I am not a DDD main. I main Yoshi and Falco. According to all of my friends that I play against regularly though, DDD SHOULD be my main. My training partners are Lucas and Ike mains and most of our games are pretty close when I play Yoshi but for some reason I can consistently 3 or 4-stock them with DDD (unless I decide to swallow-cide them 2-3 times in a row).

Most of the time I just grab, toss off stage, and edge-guard with down-B / Ftilt / Fair / swallow-cide.

Neither of them have a clue on how to handle this MU and as hilarious as it is destroying them with one of my secondaries I'd like to help them figure this out. Is DDD just that good?
No, but he does beat Ike (supposedly).

If your friends are not good at avoiding shieldgrabs, then DDD will actually ruin their day since his throw game is relatively solid and sets up his edgeguarding well, never mind that his grab range is long. He can also CC grab effectively due to his high weight.

I'm not sure what exactly they are doing wrong, but I know Hyperflame beat Ripple and that should be somewhere on Youtube. I would imagine your friends are not that technical, but it might give him some ideas on how to approach as Lucas.

For the Ike, Ripple 3-0'd Ally, but Ally SD'd at least a few times, so it might still be worth searching up and seeing how Ally plays the matchup.

Animignis

Smash Cadet
Cool, thanks for the info! And yeah, I think shield/CC-grab is a huge issue for them.

Only a NOOB

Smash Cadet
The main thing is that... very few people really understand the Dedede matchup... just because pretty much no one actually plays Dedede lol

This happens often with some of my less experienced friends... I pick up a new character they don't know how to fight, and trounce them repeatedly and awfully until they figure out how to fight against it, even if they can usually win against my mains. Usually this is a temporary problem, and the more I fight them with that character the worse I will do, because they will start learning the matchup.

Dedede might have a lot of glaring weaknesses, but if you don't know how to abuse them he can wreck your day. His punish game, combo ability, kill potential and offstage mobility are completely insane, and very unusual at that. He can even seem overpowered until you realize all you have to do is get close to him and stay close, and you can basically combo him to death with most characters.

Last edited:
Top Bottom