• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does one get on the power ranking?

Bleezyy

Smash Cadet
I just want to know what steps does a person have to take to become apart of the power ranking.
I mean I can go to a bunch of locals and place well but how is it noticed? Do i have to do majors?
Is there something I must apply for. I'm really thinking of taking this serious I just want all the info I can get.

Thank you in advanced

TDK

Smash Master
NNID
GrayCN
Do well at Locals. A lot of power rankings are only based on Local events (See: Abadango only being ranked 12th in Japan), so doing well and getting wins over other PR Ranked players in your area should boost your record and make you more of a contender. Also, be consistent. One performance won't cut it. You have to constantly stay at or near the top.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
You need to perform really good at muitiple tournaments.

Although considering your profile says you're from New York, that'll be hard to do.....

PGH_Chrispy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Geliaron
Do as well as you can in as many tournaments in a region as possible. Most PR's will require that you go to so many tournaments in region to qualify. Look to your local FB group to see what tournaments would qualify, the people who make PR are usually pretty transparent about the process from my experience.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Simply put, bust your ass. No one has ever received a free pass to end up in power rankings. Doing very well in majors would majorly help.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Could you go to tournaments with a Wii remote
Sure. You can also take a 3DS, a Switch, musical instruments, snacks, or even (in many locations) a firearm.

But as with all possessions, they are at risk of being stolen from your bag while you play Smash Bros. with your GCN controller. So be warned!

The Kirbyister

Smash Apprentice
Sure. You can also take a 3DS, a Switch, musical instruments, snacks, or even (in many locations) a firearm.

But as with all possessions, they are at risk of being stolen from your bag while you play Smash Bros. with your GCN controller. So be warned!
i dont have a GCN controller
i got a Wii remote and 3ds

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
i dont have a GCN controller
i got a Wii remote and 3ds
This would be a big problem, since GCN controllers have reached well over $100. A real pickle!

Fortunately, Nintendo is once again re-releasing them for $30 brand new! Christmas is saved!

In the meantime, Smashers tend to be pretty welcoming. While it's considered somewhat of a faux paus to not bring a (wired) controller, no one will think too much of it and that should never be a reason to hesitate from participating! If you ask politely, virtually any smasher I've met will let you borrow a controller--many of us have extras. In fact, most would rather lend you a controller than have to put up with wireless syncing and accidental pauses.

Bottom line is, don't stress out about controllers--but don't settle for less either!

Top Bottom