• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does L cancel works ?

KmDx

Smash Rookie
I know l cancel is made by doing an L, R or Z input 7 frames before you land to cut the lag of your attacks, but why does pressing those buttons to reduce the lag, is there any specific reason to why this happens?

Pauer

The Pauerful
is there any specific reason to why this happens?
To my knowledge, there is no underlying reason. It's simply programmed into the engine directly as "if landing AND shield was pressed 7 frames before -> shorten landing lag". At least, this is my understanding.

I think Achilles1515 Achilles1515 and Dan Salvato Dan Salvato would know for sure as they've analyzed the engine code in the past.

Last edited:

Wolfii

Smash Rookie
Well, there's actually a fun story to this: Sakurai purposefully programmed it into the game as an advanced mechanic.

In smash 64 the term used officially was called "smooth landing", and was labelled as such under "advanced techniques" on the official super smash bros. 64 website.

To my knowledge, the reason it was removed from Brawl was because Sakurai saw how the competitive seen was using the advanced mechanics in the game to get an advantage over lower-skilled players and was dissatisfied, thinking it went against his goals of making a party game that everyone can enjoy.

HMWii22

BRoomer
BRoomer
they need to do way instain player who cancel their endlag because these babby can't frigth back

my pary are with the master hand who lost his chrilden. i truly am sorry for your lots

Last edited:
Top Bottom