• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How does everyone else like to use up b?

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
I personally like using it as a mixup to punish landings, a roll/spot dodge punish or to punish ledge get ups (if spaced right it can punish standard get up, get up roll, get up attack, sh back to stage and get up jump. So pretty much every thing but waiting or moving away from the stage.) It does decent damage and I think is quite underrated, although it is just a free punish if you miss.

Tricky Shadowe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FelixMackenzie
I get kinda nervous using that move except when I am at the right spot to do so, like below the edge and the end of it grabs the ledge.

I hope I said that right.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
I personally use it a lot on stage mostly when my opponent is above me or when they are trying to land. I think it is also really good for edge guarding and i love spiking my opponent to their death with it because they never see it coming. It is underrated but i think kirby has some better and safer moves that he can use so I think its more of a situational move. But overall I think its a pretty good mixup and I think kirby players need to start using it to its full potential.
You realise this is on the toon link boards, right?...

Last edited:

FKA Kobra

Smash Cadet
NNID
super-kobe-10
Lol my b. I watch both toon link and kirbys threads so I assumed it was kirby ima just pretend like nothing happened.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Lol my b. I watch both toon link and kirbys threads so I assumed it was kirby ima just pretend like nothing happened.
no problem, i first got confused reading your message when you said about it spiking, i thought there was some tech with up b that i didn't know, lol

Zertnik24

Smash Rookie
NNID
cadeo24
Up B is usually a move that I use to recover and not as much with damage. I have seen fellow Toon mains use it to push off the stage

Dasmilitus

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dasmilitus
I like using uptilt for punishing rolls towards me. I like upb for offstage finishes when I use a bomb and boomerang in conjunction for area denial. It really helps vs rob, ness and spacies.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
I never really use it in the air personally (other that recovery of course) because it's usually air-dodged/interrupted with a quick attack, but I did find out about bomb to upb or rang to bomb to upb when experimenting with custom upb 3

dantejb20

Smash Rookie
I personally like using it as a mixup to punish landings, a roll/spot dodge punish or to punish ledge get ups (if spaced right it can punish standard get up, get up roll, get up attack, sh back to stage and get up jump. So pretty much every thing but waiting or moving away from the stage.) It does decent damage and I think is quite underrated, although it is just a free punish if you miss.
I like to hop off the stage, b-reverse it and pass the ledge to punish nearby opponents.

Tomium Ingot

Smash Rookie
I only ever use Tink's Up Special as a recovery, or a way to catch someone launched upwards and go for a kill off the top of the screen.
Using it on the stage gets punished too easily, though it might be a good roll catch.

Yoshister

Smash Champion
NNID
DinoandAllen1
3DS FC
5386-7994-1390
I use it to kill opponents via stage Spike or off the upper blastline. I also use it to finish of an up-tilt combo (Only on bigger and slow characters) and roll punishes.
Recovering with it is a no-brainer.

Dasmilitus

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dasmilitus
Up B is an amazing desperation option when you're having a close range bout and they seem to roll behind you often or they want to throw an illspaced smash with slight charge.

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
I'm not the sort of person to use Up-B on the ground though, I do agree with the properties and it's advantages you can get by using it on the ground.

I'm more of it as a finisher (i.e use it off the ledge) as it tends to send the opponent far enough for a KO. I don't use it on the ground cause it opens off a free punish for my opponent but I'm guessing I should be adding it to my play style to make my game even better.

LunarWingCloud

Smash Lord
NNID
LunarWingStorm
3DS FC
2449-4791-3879
I hardly ever use it on the ground, although it makes a good recovery for the simple fact whenever I use it people are usually afraid to try and gimp me. The angle of the move and TLink's small frame just kinda put that statement out there that says "yeah don't bother". I'm trying to find use for it on the ground though, it has a decent range so I wanna try and make use of that.

Bigchill

Smash Rookie
I like using it on the ground to knock people back or using it in the air at high percents to kill

ASCII

Smash Rookie
NNID
iruhlman
I use it for recovery just like every other average joe, but I use it to attack as a mix-up, because people tend to forget that it is technically an attack.

Trash Boat

Smash Rookie
NNID
MrBossDude
I like to pull out a bomb than hit them with a boomerang then full hop/ double jump bomb into up b

Lomogoto

Smash Apprentice
Because it is our fastest option out of shield (at least without a bomb in hand), i have trying to get better about recognizing when it will definitely hit out of shield and use it there

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Because it is our fastest option out of shield (at least without a bomb in hand), i have trying to get better about recognizing when it will definitely hit out of shield and use it there
I much prefer to use up smash oos - it's safer, only 2 frames slower, and it sets them in a more advantageous position from our perspective, because it makes potential juggles.

Matt11111

Semi-Casual Modest Scrub
NNID
Mat11111
I'll throw a boomerang, up-B, and hope for my opponent to still be spinning by the time the boomerang returns.

Lomogoto

Smash Apprentice
Hey i was messing around and it seems like airial up b is our best bomb follow up at non-kill percents (about 10 to when fair kills) it does more dammage than up smash and fair, comes out faster, and doesnt stale either of those kill moves. It seems like this is just the better follow up to me
You could say its easier to punnish if you miss, but its a true combo so . . . dont miss . . . (Like boost kick is unsafe, but it still was a combo, so it was still worth using)
It doesnt set up for jugles like up smash but it gets stage controll better so that may depend more on matchup

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Hey i was messing around and it seems like airial up b is our best bomb follow up at non-kill percents (about 10 to when fair kills) it does more dammage than up smash and fair, comes out faster, and doesnt stale either of those kill moves. It seems like this is just the better follow up to me
You could say its easier to punnish if you miss, but its a true combo so . . . dont miss . . . (Like boost kick is unsafe, but it still was a combo, so it was still worth using)
It doesnt set up for jugles like up smash but it gets stage controll better so that may depend more on matchup
I think it's still better to follow up w fair, so you can get edge guarding quicker. I depends on the char you're fighting tbh - it might not be worth even trying to get the couple of % in against a char like sheik or mk.

Lomogoto

Smash Apprentice
Yes i agree its very dependant, but i think the speed it comes out is also very nice because you have more time to react to a hit/run up so you can throw bombs from farther away, helping the camp. That could maybe make it worth it for zome breaking characters. The quicker edge guarding is a good point though! I hadnt thought about that.

_Silver_

I don't even know anymore.
NNID
coffeeman65
3DS FC
1349-8695-1576
I only use Up B on the ground to shake people off when they're pressuring my shield. I also use it to punish a get up(I can almost never land any two frames :( ). I use Up B in the air when I've got a good combo going.

Pretty obvious stuff. :/

Last edited:
Top Bottom