• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you want Young Link to play?

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
UPDATE:
Young Link gameplay

Zairless Z-drop confirmed.
Autocancel short hop arrows,
High arrowspeed
Lagless nair
Good linking hits of fair

That's the most important ones I see. I am very happy with how true to his melee appearance he is. Looks so fun to play!
-------------------------------------------------------------------

We know next to nothing about Young Link at this point. So far, it seems like he's staying pretty close to his old melee counterpart, but with how all the mechanics in the game having changed so much, that raises a lot of questions.

These questions keep me up at night, so I'm just going to speculate on how I hope certain moves for Young Link work. Feel free to join the discussion!

First, very important, we know Young Link can wall jump again. With that I would like a good run off stage, wall jump bair back on stage. I loved doing that in Melee.

Also, I prefer a z drop of the bombs without the Zair coming out. Or even better, giving us the choice by let's say zair not coming out when you just tap z but holding it makes zair come out and drop the bomb, and airdodge quickly followed by hold z is zair without dropping bomb. Young Link should have strong evasive play, and the ability to lagless z drop bombs to keep opponents at bay is essential to recreate that playstyle he had in Melee.

Boomerang should have hitboxes going out and coming back, and also should be able to be angled up or down, bounce off the ground to give a lot of flexibility.

Fire arrows should have realistic arcs, and travel far, including below where they were fired. One thing I hope they add that wasn't in Melee is the small hitbox of burning fire arrows stuck in the ground.

Bombs should have a pretty short fuse, like Link in SSB4, around 4 seconds. This helps in recovery. Also like Link, being able to soft toss the bombs so they roll on the ground without exploding would be great.

I see Young Link as this quick nimble zoner playstyle, constantly retreating leaving traps and restricting options of the opponent. Then, shift gears when you land a hit to combo someone off stage and keep them in disadvantage through ledge traps and fast off stage moves like nair and Fair. Oh and of course, please have a good down air with a spike hitbox that doesn't instantly kill us if we miss it.

Would you guys agree? Anything you would like Young Link to be able to do?

Last edited:

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
I was hoping someone would test that^ with Samus in the demo and report back.

Rizen

Smash Legend
I'd like YL to be a more nimble version of Link, basically how he was in Melee. I never liked TL's floatiness so hopefully YL will mimic Link's physics. IMO he is looking pretty good. Quick zoning/spamming with good mobility has always put TL above Link and now there's a Link that fits my playstyle who does that.

Shoopdawooper

Smash Apprentice
The Barcelona event players seem to confirm that at least Toon Link's zair doesn't come out when he Z-drops a bomb
Balance changes Full roster Barcelona build

This makes me hopefull that Young Link will have the same functionality. After all, why change it? Toon Link used to always perform a zair z-drop in the previous two games right? (I'm not too sure about Brawl) But Young Link definitely did have that in Melee, and they seem to stick closely to his Melee playstyle. Hopefully we can get a confirmation.

From the reddit post I linked for convenience:

Young Link
-"Feels like Melee" with a very fast fastfall and "Crazy" air speed
-Both hits of Forward Air hit properly
-Bomb Pull in air doesn't stop momentum (?)
-Hookshot has shorter range compared to Melee
-Compared to Smash 4 Link, but Smaller/faster
-Bombs explode quickly
-Range improved from Melee

Toon Link
-You do not perform Zair when Z-dropping bombs
-Has a 1 hit FSmash
-Aerials may have less end lag
-May run faster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBnxymG8BYo&feature=youtu.be @1:21

Last edited:

MERPIS

Smash Lord
NNID
Catboog
I kinda want young link to play more like an up close combo heavy swordie but with projectiles to somewhat help his combos
Does young link's nair or forward air kill?

Batu

Smash Journeyman
NNID
drlight33
I kinda want young link to play more like an up close combo heavy swordie but with projectiles to somewhat help his combos
Does young link's nair or forward air kill?
Yes they have kill potential, but not as good as Link for what I could see.

Top Bottom