• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you use Nosferatu?

Touchebag

Smash Cadet
I've been having trouble landing Robin's down-b. I feel it's one of those attacks that's potent but really difficult to hit with.

The hitbox is just too small. I basically have to be touching my opponent to be able to hit with it, in which case there is usually a better option. The ending lag doesn't help either.

I recently read that it is a viable option OoS but I haven't tested that yet. Does anyone have any other tips on how/when to use it?

EntropyAA

Smash Rookie
NNID
Metaroo
3DS FC
3411-1156-6504
You can catch fools rolling around you with it. Its kind of useful against little macs that try to cross up your shield with a roll for a grab. Has anyone tried pivot nosferatu though?

Syrek

The Freshest Strategist
I like to use Nosferatu when edge guarding and when I got an opponent rolling around like crazy who think's he or she is invincible by doing this. Funny thing is, they never really expect me to use it, probably because many Robin players rarely or never use the move because it can be punished easily for missing and it doesn't exactly have the greatest range either. Best advice I can give you is really focus on reading your opponents movements and tactics after a full stock or so and then try to effectively use Nosferatu when they least expect it, cause I guarantee they will.

Touchebag

Smash Cadet
Hmm. The edge guarding is an interesting example. Does it have more range than the auto-sweetspot range though? Can you even hit them before they grab the edge?

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
Hmm. The edge guarding is an interesting example. Does it have more range than the auto-sweetspot range though? Can you even hit them before they grab the edge?
Technically you can hit anyone with any offensive move when edgeguarding them its just a matter of timing. nos is 16f start up, and since it works similarly to a grab it can catch opponents going for the ledge or roll onto the stage. though like grabs im not sure this works if they grab the ledge from underneath.

I use nos to punish dash attacks, follow up on arcfire, or sh nos. At times im tempted for a robincide(don't do it).
Are we including nos2and3?
Personally though i prefer nos2 since i can follow up full range arcfire, edgeguard with it safely, and grab zoners when they think they're safe. 'course I lose the ability to punish with it up close.

Lukred

Smash Rookie
Nos shouldn't be used to edge guard, either nair fsair or a spiked elwind are all better alternatives. Like sync said, nos is best for characters who spam dash attacks, its also good for rolling junkies :p

oh and don't use nos when your trying to recover from the ledge, if you catch the opponent and there is nothing below you your left helpless :( its happened...

Last edited:

PK Gaming

Smash Lord
It's a punishing tool. You typically use it against whiffed smashes / dash attacks. If you've got a good read on the opponent, you can even use it after your opponent rolls/ spot dodges. Finally, it's worth noting that Elfire / Arcthunder can sometimes keep them in place long enough to land a Nosferatu.

Nairo makes use out of it here

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
No, I'm talking about the standard. Nos2 is much easier to user effectively so I assume most people don't have as much of a problem with that.
Ahh 'kay, though I wouldn't say its easier to use, only safer to attempt but you lose punishing options.
On topic though, I use nos as a punish to any move I see coming. Defensively so to speak, 'less i'm a stock up and high percent.
It saved me from 200% and I survived with 170% at the end.

Touchebag

Smash Cadet
Ahh 'kay, though I wouldn't say its easier to use, only safer to attempt but you lose punishing options.
On topic though, I use nos as a punish to any move I see coming. Defensively so to speak, 'less i'm a stock up and high percent.
It saved me from 200% and I survived with 170% at the end.
Yeah, that is how I assumed I should use it but I just cannot pull it off. It is to slow for for its short range to be able to hit before the opponents roll away. Even after a slow, punishable attack I find that they have more than ample time to avoid it.

Although, when thinking about it now, I realise that most of the time that is due to me having to close the distance after dodging attacks. I think I have to work on spot-dodging more.

Hong

The Strongest
It's a command grab.

Enough said.

That is, you can grab while airborne. That's insane against defensive options like shielding, dodging, and Counters. Honestly, even if Nosferatu had no healing and no damage, it would still be an amazing move by virtue of being a grab. Not sure what kind of weird opponents are on For Glory, but it works well enough in advanced play.

Also, I rebuke any suggestion that involves using Nosferatu as a hard punish. Even a bronze sword smash is better than that unless you still kicking at a 100%+ life deficit against a fresh stock, but if they themselves are high, you have better hard punish options.

SyncNatsyu

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3007-8406-9326
Also, I rebuke any suggestion that involves using Nosferatu as a hard punish. Even a bronze sword smash is better than that unless you still kicking at a 100%+ life deficit against a fresh stock, but if they themselves are high, you have better hard punish options.
Ahh yes, should've been more clear. My bad. I punish slow moves with nos when I think I need the healing. Didn't mean to imply I only punish using nos. I do go for tilts or smashs if I see more dmg being beneficial.
Also aerial grabs are great. Falling with your opponent gives a nice time to heal or go for a LSmash

Xerox the beautiful

Smash Rookie
I play Wario in Brawl and I've been using nosferatu in similar ways to how I use bite such as approaching from above as well as catching peoples movement. The low amount of uses combined with the massive recharge time makes spamming it pretty difficult so make sure you know exactly what your using it for when you cast it.

lunarum

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4055-3233-5833
Nosferatu also works well for me since I often go for aerial attacks on opponents on the ground. The better players usually read this, and most of them will shield the attack, then grab me right after to punish. Once I can predict when they'll do this, it's easy to catch them with Nosferatu, although it's usually at the front.

Touchebag

Smash Cadet
... it's easy to catch them with Nosferatu, although it's usually at the front.
Nosferatu is hard to land as it is. You should not concern yourself with hitting it from the back. That's just a bonus. It does enough damage from the front as well.

Last edited:

LabrysXII

Smash Cadet
NNID
LabrysXII
3DS FC
2020-0802-1886
I tend to use Noseferatu if my opponent likes to dash attack a lot. That, or I can see where they are going to roll next (particularly behind me), but that way is a bit more risky than the former. This is going by the matches I play online, not offline... ^^;;

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I usually use Noseferatu on dash attacks with a lot of recovery frames, dairs like bowsers or Yoshi's, sometimes whiffed throws, or a well spaced arc fire.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I catch rolls with it. Sometimes I spam it to throw the tome. :troll:

timetotipthescales

Smash Cadet
NNID
bloodofgrima
I really love Nosferatu, if only for the surprise factor against For Glory people. It helps with so many options, especially with dangerous damage levels in this game where it takes a lot of percentage to get a KO.

I use it for edgeguarding as well, with opponents that go just above the ledge, but I'll use Nosferatu's precious usage for that only if the opponent is low on damage/can't be killed due to having extra jump.

I also use it to try and get Robin to have a safe landing, since most people go rushing in to punish. Since it's a command grab, it's perfect for the quick players that try to shield.

Tactician

Smash Rookie
NNID
DarkBlade126
3DS FC
0748-1784-0273
Sometimes I spam it to throw the tome. :troll:
I saw a Robin player do this and it was hilarious, used Nos 4 times in a row and caught the tome. Then threw it for a KO. It was hilarious.

Hong

The Strongest
If you've used it two or three times, may as well use it again when you have the chance. Not only do you get a sweet projectile out of it, but it's always better if the Tactician can plan when and where something will exhaust its durability, instead of it happening at an inconvenient moment.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I saw a Robin player do this and it was hilarious, used Nos 4 times in a row and caught the tome. Then threw it for a KO. It was hilarious.
I've gotten KOs from it too.

If you've used it two or three times, may as well use it again when you have the chance. Not only do you get a sweet projectile out of it, but it's always better if the Tactician can plan when and where something will exhaust its durability, instead of it happening at an inconvenient moment.
Playing around the tomes/Levin use is essential. Make Robin more of a strategic character.

BTW, has anyone caught the LS? I don't think I've been able to.

Hong

The Strongest
BTW, has anyone caught the LS? I don't think I've been able to.
It has been simple enough. As long as I am not actively engaged in battle, I'll have no problems nabbing it when I know it's going to break.

D

Deleted member

When I see an opponent drop their guard, I use Nosferatu. However, I don't use it very often as I find it to be situational. While it's at its best behind the opponent, doing in front isn't a terrible idea since you heal damage and the opponent gains damage anyway.

I wouldn't use it at low percentages since that is a pretty big waste of the tome.

Hong

The Strongest
When I see an opponent drop their guard, I use Nosferatu. However, I don't use it very often as I find it to be situational.
Ironically, it is when they raise their guard that Nosferatu is at its greatest value.

D

Deleted member

Ironically, it is when they raise their guard that Nosferatu is at its greatest value.
Oh yeah, since Nosferatu is a grabbing special move you can use it against someone who is shielding. It's pretty good for some roll spammers I believe, too.
I was mostly thinking of using it after when dodging an attack that has a lot of ending lag, like King Dedede's side smash or Shulk's Back Slash for example.

Touchebag

Smash Cadet
Well usually in suicide moves, the person who initiated the suicide is the one seen as the victor
Depends. Bowser and Ganondorf put their opponent under them so that they will die first (I know for a fact that Ganon will win but I haven't tested Bowser). Others (such as Kirby) is simultaneous and will lead to sudden death.

Note that most of these are based on previous games. I haven't tested anyone else but Ganondorf in this.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Depends. Bowser and Ganondorf put their opponent under them so that they will die first (I know for a fact that Ganon will win but I haven't tested Bowser). Others (such as Kirby) is simultaneous and will lead to sudden death.

Note that most of these are based on previous games. I haven't tested anyone else but Ganondorf in this.
I mean from a competitive standpoint, not for how the game rules it, sorry for not being specific!! ><

Lavani

Indigo Destiny

With Ganondorf and Bowser's sideB, the opponent dies first. With Dedede's (and I assume Kirby's) inhale and Robin's Nosferatu, the user dies first.

Nosferatu also stalls out Robin's vertical momentum, requiring that you be off the bottom of the screen already to ensure your Robincide isn't escaped, and to make matters worse Robin is put into helpless if an aerial Nosferatu is broken out of. You need a stock lead and even then it's ridiculously impractical, though this all adds up to massive style points if you can take a stock like that.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Distant Nosfertu is probably a top tier doubles move.

Otherwise, the correct answer is decidedly "don't."

Top Bottom