• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you think this smash Ultimate meta games going to play out

nutbutter

Smash Rookie
Do things get revolve around one character or a certain type play style Or stage is out there, with you think

Last edited:

FNUStory

Smash Cadet
If I had to make a guess, I would say that aggressive play will be the most preferred meta.

Defensive options got nerfed, and the pace of the game is a lot faster.

Zapp Branniglenn

Smash Lord
Smash 4 had an extremely small player base of people familiar with the previous game when it got its start, and I think with the sheer volume of Smash 4 players returning we will have a better idea of which characters are actually good earlier on. We might have a brief period that looks like the E3 invitational. Old Smash 4 high tiers doing the run + shield sort of neutral game, But things will pick up once people wrap their head around perfect shielding reactable moves. Those reactable moves mostly being aerials that have dominated so much of previous smash games in terms of safety. I think it's very deliberate design that you reach your maximum jump height quicker in Ultimate, yet landing lag is so low. To avoid perfect shields, you need to actively mix up your attack timings when airborne. Or make use of your greater suite of grounded options when running, which are less predictable.

Lower launch angles on most horizontal attacks and committal air dodges are also probably going to bring edgeguarding back into vogue. The offstage kind, not the sit at the ledge and try to cover their options or two frame their ledge snap kind. Unless ledge trumping has been tweaked, there will probably still be some unengaging ledge play in this game, but I think everybody can agree that getting somebody off the stage and keeping them off with risky movements can be very exciting to watch and very engaging for both players. The greater hitlag is also going to make correct DI inputs easier, and DI mixups more active.

I can imagine some dark turns Ultimate may take in the future. The perfect shield window seems a bit too lenient, spot dodging looks way too good, shieldstun and shield push don't have any immediate reason for being so low compared to Smash 4, some landing lag reductions appear to have gone a bit too far, and some folks will probably be right in saying the skill floor for competitive play is too low compared to the average esport, but this is looking like a solid base for a competitive game that would probably have long legs even if you cut the enormous roster in half. At least a year of confirmed patch updates is reassuring. Balance decisions derived from ranked matches (rather than just looking at the win/loss ratios of each character being played online) should also point them closer in the right direction this time around rather than ignoring underplayed characters like Dedede and Jigglypuff whose comparatively small batch of dedicated players made it look like "the average player seems to be doing okay with this one".

TL;DR: I'm optimistic about mechanical changes and how they invite a variety of options and decision making that wasn't prompted in the last game, and that in turn gets us looking at characters who could employ these strategies better than others.

Last edited:

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
The hyper fast and hyper technical are probably gonna own again. I feel since melee, it is always a combo of speed and tricky factor that make the top tiers. I am prepared to see obnoxious characters like Olimar, Bayonetta, Ice Climbers, Diddy Kong and Game&Watch own...while characters I end up genuinely enjoying like Zelda, Peach, Ganondorf, and Donkey Kong get crapped on XD I am hoping I really enjoy Richter, and he is considered high tier.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Mind games, hard reads, conditioning. They put some serious balancing into this game, and it seems like no fighter has serious advantages over another.

Jexulus

Omnivore of the Year
NNID
Jexulus
3DS FC
3883-5870-2795
Someone's gonna find the jank, and everyone else will find the best ways to abuse the jank. Rinse and repeat for every patch.

I know that's kinda pessimistic, but this is literally how it goes in every fighting game unless the patches are on point.

TheMisterManGuy

Smash Apprentice
With defensive options nerfed, Ultimate looks to prioritize smart mix-ups and pressuring than Smash 4's zoning and trapping focused meta. I also think the tweaks to rage and ledge trumping will be more important when people play the game. Rage felt a bit unrefined in Smash 4, leading to weird upsets and favoring heavies, but with it being less analog and less powerful, you now have to rely even more on properly trapping your opponent by leveraging rage to turn the match rather than pick a character that's good with it and hope for the best. Ledge trumping pushing the opponent down combined with the new ledge grab limit means that ledge fights are going to be filled with a lot more tension than in Smash 4 because now you run the risk of not being able to recover if you're off stage for too long, which puts pressure on both opponents.

ps_

Banned via Warnings
Some stupid character(s) you have to pay for will be incredibly overtuned, every dimwit will use them and anyone who sincerely cares about competitive Smash Bros. will drag their feet back to Melee. I'd prefer to be wrong but this is what I anticipate.

maxistrife

Smash Apprentice
be careful sayin that kind of thing around these parts friend, you might get yourself hurt
View attachment 176988
Fair enough, but G&W IS obnoxious XD All that bizarre movement and ridiculous 2 bit sound effects....and he has the personality of a cardboard box. Wait...cardboard has more personality than G&W

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I'd be happy as a pig in **** if this will be the first SSB where fatties like Bowser, DK, and D3 are actually tournament viable at higher levels.

Sudz

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 3649 6707 8868
Fair enough, but G&W IS obnoxious XD All that bizarre movement and ridiculous 2 bit sound effects....and he has the personality of a cardboard box. Wait...cardboard has more personality than G&W
You don't think he has personality? D: I've always found his beeps and boops to have quite the personality, although I have been a G&W main at heart for years so I may be biased

His changes in ultimate are definitely super jank

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
I'd be happy as a pig in **** if this will be the first SSB where fatties like Bowser, DK, and D3 are actually tournament viable at higher levels.
Not to mention K. Rool. Though us future :ultkrool: mains should all be prepared for getting called tier wh0res all the time, if the general consensus of him being top tier actually turns out to be correct.

Otherwise, I obviously think that playing as many characters as possible on a top professional level will pay off, especially if Squad Strike becomes a tournament format which I'm pretty confident it could be.

Last edited:

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Not to mention K. Rool. Though us future :ultkrool: mains should all be prepared for getting called tier wh0res all the time, if the general consensus of him being top tier actually turns out to be correct.

Otherwise, I obviously think that playing as many characters as possible on a top professional level will pay off, especially if Squad Strike becomes a tournament format which I'm pretty confident it could be.
I fully expect him to be high tier, though I'd still main him as crap tier.

His kit looks insanely overloaded and we already know that he can likely KO off of a grab as his dthrow buries opponents.

Questionmark222

Smash Journeyman
I fully expect him to be high tier, though I'd still main him as crap tier.

His kit looks insanely overloaded and we already know that he can likely KO off of a grab as his dthrow buries opponents.
Honestly (getting a little off-topic here), I feel the same about both him and Wolf. I wanted :ultkrool:'s inclusion and :ultwolf:'s return so bad that I would've mained them, no matter if they were Brawl MK levels of busted or Brawl Ganon levels of dog crap.

Top Bottom