• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you reliably do forward tilts?

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I can't seem to quite get the hang of doing forward tilts during fights reliably. I can do them during the training mode fairly easily, but as soon as a battle starts up, I have a lot of difficulty not just doing either side smashes or dash attacks.

Does anyone have any good tips on easy ways to reliably do forward tilts? I have my smashes on the C stick and tilts performed with the A button and analog stick.

MG_3989

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-8397-3391-6411
I would set your tilts to the c-stick. I think it’s much easier to perform smashes with the A button than tilts and it’s really important to be able to quickly get tilts out of dashes in this game

That’s my best advice. Most players do it now

Last edited:

saiyan.

Feint - Snake Eyes
My advice would be to watch ZeRo’s YouTube guide on GCC and the pro controller. He explains and shows the default configuration that most people use. Like what MG said, practice and using your C-Stick for tilts rather than smashes. B+A also allows you to smash with ease. GLHF

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Ditto on mapping tilts to the c-stick: saved me a lot of trouble, especially when trying to do up tilts and accidentally jumping

channel_KYX

Smash Apprentice
Adding to the above, you can also hold the stick in a direction while already in a combo.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
Ironically, I've gotten into the habit of using smashes off the analog stick + A button, despite having them bound to the C stick as well. I'll go ahead and put tilts on the C stick this evening and give it a try! Thanks for the help.

xZRx

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-7739-8489-3763
Ditto on mapping tilts to the c-stick: saved me a lot of trouble, especially when trying to do up tilts and accidentally jumping
Most people turn up-jump off anyway, but definitely another vote for tilt stick. Im not very good with fast controls so it definitely helps with fumbling the left stick (at least i dont fumble as often now, that is :laugh:)

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
I did have tilt stick on for a while a couple weeks ago. I ended up reverting back to smash stick just due to the reason that you have to zero out the stick to do multiple tilts. It kept throwing me off with up and down tilts.

I've gotten much better at using down and up tilts off the regular analog stick and A button, and have relatively few "misfires" where I smash instead. I've never been able to get results trying to ftilt off the analog stick.

I never did have issues with ftilt when I had C stick on tilts. It was just up or down tilts I kept getting trapped with by the stick zeroing out requirement. I'll probably use C stick exclusively for ftilt, and stick to utilt, dtilt, and smashes through the analog stick + A button from here forwards.

Last edited:

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
I never did have issues with ftilt when I had C stick on tilts. It was just up or down tilts I kept getting trapped with by the stick zeroing out requirement. I'll probably use C stick exclusively for ftilt, and stick to utilt, dtilt, and smashes through the analog stick + A button from here forwards.
You trying to mash your up and down tilts?

Did you know that using tilt stick doesn't disable your A button? If you want to mash down tilt, pull both sticks down to use the first one then mash A.

Mister.Kim1

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2558-6837-3970
Best way to reliably do side tilt without compromising your c-stick is be gentle with your left joycon. I could have changed the c stick to tilt attack when I got the game, but now I rely heavily on C-Stick for smash attack.

Predatoria

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-5219-6817-7975
You trying to mash your up and down tilts?

Did you know that using tilt stick doesn't disable your A button? If you want to mash down tilt, pull both sticks down to use the first one then mash A.
I didn't know that! And yeah, a friend of mine was even kind of jabbing at me for it.

I'd start standing still in a fight and he'd hear me frantically flicking the C stick to no avail.

JiggyNinja

Smash Journeyman
I didn't know that! And yeah, a friend of mine was even kind of jabbing at me for it.

I'd start standing still in a fight and he'd hear me frantically flicking the C stick to no avail.
Even before I tried it, that is why I literally never though of mashing stick as a viable way of tilting. Just use tilt stick to avoid using a smash as the first attack, then transfer back to A button to mash it. Mashing a button is so much easier than mashing a stick.

Then I come here and on GameFAQs I think and saw some people having trouble mashing tilt stick and I'm like "why are you doing that? That's so stupid."

Last edited:

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422

If I remember correctly, spamming c-stick will register as 0 inputs in the game. You cant just frantically flick the Cstick. I cant really explain why the game is coded that way, but I've experienced it too and have adapted.

Top Bottom