• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you react to people who still think Ultimate is a port?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
After E3, may people claimed that Smash Ultimate was a a port. Granted, we did not see as much as we expected, only three newcomers, some fighter details and new mechanics, so calling it a port wasn't too unreasonable. But now in the wake of the August 8th direct, we have seen so much from Sakurai, including another five newcomers, set details for stages and soundtracks, and even some new gamemodes.

But some people are still calling the game a port. Why?

My best guess is that most people who call it a port simply don't have a switch. It seems reasonable that they would call it "not worth it" so it feels like they're not missing out on anything. Or perhaps they're not satisfied with all we've seen, but in that case we're most likely going to have another direct n a few months. Are people not happy about chracter deconfirmations, so they're shaming the game? It feels like there's a lot of small reasons to call the game a port that add up into one big reason.

But Sakurai said in an interview that Ultimate was designed from the ground up, just they decided to keep most of the assets from Smash 4 early on. In other words, it was never intended to be a port. The shortage of newcomers is because of "Everyone is Here." When you think about it, so far fifteen characters that were not in Smash 4 have made it into Ultimate, but only eight of them are newcomers--more to come. In the next direct we'll probably get the exact number of soundtracks, maybe a surprise stage (Pokefloats?), more gamemode details, and of course whatever the hidden mode is.

There's no way Ultimate is a port. I don't get mad at people who think it is, but that's just me. How do you react to their arguments?

CodakTheWarrior

Smash Ace
I usually just don't interact with those people because if they are that blatantly ignorant then I don't feel like trying to sway their minds

D

Deleted member

They obviously don't have a clue what a port is if they think Ultimate is a port.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
If they still say that to this day I will assume they are memeing or completely and utterly stupid.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
In general when others' present a different opinion, I do my best to listen to the point of view and understand from where the speaker is coming. It is not always the easiest, particularly on the internet. Yet, making an individual feel outside and attacked, is a sure way into an aggression and reaching no commonalities.

Zerp

Formerly "ZeroSoul"
Administrator
Writing Team
I don't really react one way or another, if they want to believe it's a port despite it obviously not being one then that isn't really a problem, it's just weird. I'll assume they believed in the leaks that "Smash Bros. for Wii-U will be ported to the Switch" and that the idea just stuck for some reason, I blame the fake leakers.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I just let them think that and move on. I've got better things to do than to kick up a fuss about it.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
to me this game fells like a greatest hits game, not complaining there is more old stuff returning then new additions

Handy Man

Smash Ace
It's like trying to convince a brick wall that they are not made of stone. You could try to argue with them and teach them the facts, but it's usually not worth anyone's time. For better or worse, a few people believe in whatever they want to as long as it makes them happy, much to other's frustration.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Let them say what they want. I got better things to do than to waste my time with them.

Top Bottom