• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you react to people who genuinely want Dragon Ball's Goku in Smash Bros.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I feel it crosses some invisible line that is completely determined on what the community has decided isn't okay, like when Cloud was announced. We got over that though, quickly. I wouldn't want to see Goku in Smash but realtalk I don't think it'd be the end of the world, especially if it's just him. He may have originated from an anime/manga but he's still probably a more iconic video game character than a lot of those on the Smash roster.

I mostly just don't engage with those who want him in, or else I suggest Crono since he's also a Toriyama design.

thirsty-pocket

Smash Ace
I stop replying and leave. I don't really owe them a reaction and I'd rather not give myself a headache or upset anyone over it.
I'll update you once I meet someone like this offline and just walking away isn't an option.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I think the best of all worlds:

Smash Bros vs Jump Force.

Available when DLC for both of these games is done, after years of marketing stabs at each other.
Set for release in 2023.

Last edited:

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
I’d say why? He’s in Jump Force and there’s literally over 4 different versions of him in FighterZ.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman
There are people who legit want Goku in Smash?!?!?
But really Dragon Ball ended decades ago (the main story, Super doesn't count) how the heck is it still so popular to this day?
And to be honest Sailor Moon would be a better playable character.

I_DON'T_KNOW_YOU!

Smash Journeyman
I say, let's get the video game characters that need the representation in first, THEN we can start looking into including non-video game properties. I feel that is a fair point.

D

Deleted member

There are people who legit want Goku in Smash?!?!?
But really Dragon Ball ended decades ago (the main story, Super doesn't count) how the heck is it still so popular to this day?
And to be honest Sailor Moon would be a better playable character.
It's popular because it's, and I say this as a watcher, dumb and loud. The series won't win any awards for storytelling.

Honestly, Super was "eh". I liked the two movies that were built into the anime, but I felt like the anime adaptions of those films were very lame, and I absolutely HATE the Future Trunks Arc with the exception of the filler stuff afterward (especially when Hit actually killed Goku… God I loved that mini arc because it was always a flaw in writing where everyone had to play catch-up to Goku and Vegeta, and here's a guy Goku could still struggle with). Tournament of Power was what it was.

By the way, I'd avoid reading Toyataro's manga adaption of Super. I know they wanted a slightly different telling of the story, but holy crap, the things he wrote were ridiculous, even for Dragon Ball standards.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
I say, let's get the video game characters that need the representation in first, THEN we can start looking into including non-video game properties. I feel that is a fair point.
I think there's enough video game properties represented. Especially when you count the Assist Trophies. We have been getting third-party characters since Brawl. I think now is the perfect time to introduce other media characters to Smash. Pokémon is more popular as an anime to the point of it getting referenced in Smash. People consider Sora to be a valid candidate despite him hanging out with Disney characters. Cloud got an alternate costume from a movie. At this point, Goku really doesn't seem so unrealistic anymore. Cloud was a joke character who people say could never be in Smash because his game was Playstation exclusive. Look at who came in the Smash 4 DLC. Smash had so many unexpected additions to the cast. Rules have been broken. Characters that Sakurai have stated to be impossible for Smash such as Ridley have gotten in. There's no telling who could be in Smash.

Quillion

Smash Hero
I think there's enough video game properties represented.
There will never be enough video game properties represented as long as new video game properties are made.

At this point, Goku really doesn't seem so unrealistic anymore. Cloud was a joke character who people say could never be in Smash because his game was Playstation exclusive. Look at who came in the Smash 4 DLC. Smash had so many unexpected additions to the cast. Rules have been broken. Characters that Sakurai have stated to be impossible for Smash such as Ridley have gotten in. There's no telling who could be in Smash.
Everything you are stating originates from movies that originate from video game franchises.

Also, what did I tell you about whataboutism? Sakurai could change his mind on whether pizza, burgers, or tempura is his favorite food; that doesn't mean he can change his mind on not letting non-video game characters in.

Arymle Roseanne

Smash Lord
Well I rather not have any non video game characters but I honestly wouldn't have any negative thoughts towards them.

At least they aren't asking for those horrific pony characters then I might bust a fuse.

Oddball

Smash Lord
The poll in my signature currently has 197 people that have voted on who they want to see in Smash next.

There are 272 characters on the list.

Goku ranks number 272 with 24 downvotes and absolutely no upvotes. Batman, Sailor Moon, the Angry Birds, and Captain Lou Albano all currently outrank him.

Sure, it's not an official poll, but I felt it was worth mentioning.

Sean Wheeler

Smash Lord
It's all Sakurai's decision on whether he wants a character in and his ability to negotiate the rights to put them in. If Sakurai wanted Mickey Mouse and Disney approves, we can have Mickey in Smash. If Sakurai wanted Goku and he's able to come to an agreement with the required parties, Goku would be in Smash.

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's all Sakurai's decision on whether he wants a character in and his ability to negotiate the rights to put them in. If Sakurai wanted Mickey Mouse and Disney approves, we can have Mickey in Smash. If Sakurai wanted Goku and he's able to come to an agreement with the required parties, Goku would be in Smash.
I think it's more likely that Nintendo will force him into it. Sakurai clearly is against it, since he said it circa Brawl and reiterated it circa Smash 4.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Honestly, the real reason why the whole "no non-video game third-party" rule exists, and something people don't take into account, is due to how much of a licensing nightmare non-video game characters would be. This is something Sakurai alluded to when discussing James Bond.

ShadowTheHedgehogZ

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4227-4459-2606
Switch FC
2267-2995-1302
Honestly, the real reason why the whole "no non-video game third-party" rule exists, and something people don't take into account, is due to how much of a licensing nightmare non-video game characters would be. This is something Sakurai alluded to when discussing James Bond.
Well Toei said about Goku getting in Smash so it was really just up to Nintendo

UserKev

Smash Champion
It always fly over my shoulder. The request is basically nonexistent. I'd get over Goku in Smash tho. I'm not even entirely opposed to the character. Goku is one of my childhood epitomes.

I just don't want Goku's inclusion to open Pandora's box.

Buckett

Smash Rookie
The saddest thing is, no matter how much I think about it, I can't come up with a single reason he shouldn't be in Smash.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
The latest Sakurai interview apparently mentions Goku by name not being a character that can happen in Smash.

I know the guy changes his mind a lot, but this is the current latest thoughts on him.

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
I don't even know what to think of people who want characters like Goku in the game.

I don't think Sakurai has any interests in adding in characters not from video games.

MajoraMoon

Smash Apprentice
I would probs just react with k. It's their fault that they are expecting a character who will never come.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
The saddest thing is, no matter how much I think about it, I can't come up with a single reason he shouldn't be in Smash.
That only tells me that you only thought about it for 10 seconds. Gotta think harder than that.

Well Toei said about Goku getting in Smash so it was really just up to Nintendo
Uh, no.
It was Funimation who tweeted about Goku in Smash which is something that shouldn't be taken seriously. They are only in charge of dubbing Dragon Ball in one language and have no influence whatsoever to any creative decisions on the franchise aside from how they deliver the dialogue in english.

What True Blue Warrior said is true as well; a manga/anime character like Goku is much more complicated to license than a third party video game one like Cloud or Joker, particularly overseas. When making DB games, Toei usually lends the license to different publishers and developers.

And you proved his point about people not taking licensing issues into account when you glossed over this fact and simply responded "it was really just up to Nintendo". Nintendo and Sakurai have accomplished unbelievable things in Smash, but they just can't merely snap their fingers and conjure any fictional character in existence into their game. Besides, Dragon Ball is arguably a bigger franchise than Smash, currently enjoying exposure across several media other than video games, so from a business perspective, Nintendo doesn't have that much leverage in the deal and would have to bend backwards for Toei to be persuaded into allowing use of their character in the first place.

So as you can see, it's simply not "just up to Nintendo".

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Only real reason I can think of is he isn't originally a video game character. Other than that, he is deserving of getting in Smash if any anime/manga, comic, cartoon, or any other fictional characters ever get in which, they shouldn't by any means. Smash should be about video game characters and a celebration of gaming's history as long as it exist.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Then you though about it for less than Lieutenant Data thought about joining the Borg: less than a second.

Goku is from an amine/manga. There. He should never be in Smash because of that. Smash is meant to be a celebration and collaboration of gaming companies, Something Goku and the Dragon Ball franchise exists outside of. Letting Goku in the game would be like smearing **** all over pristine furniture. Not to mention it would open Pandora's Box for possible characters who could get in.

REZERO

Smash Journeyman
Then you though about it for less than Lieutenant Data thought about joining the Borg: less than a second.

Goku is from an amine/manga. There. He should never be in Smash because of that. Smash is meant to be a celebration and collaboration of gaming companies, Something Goku and the Dragon Ball franchise exists outside of. Letting Goku in the game would be like smearing **** all over pristine furniture. Not to mention it would open Pandora's Box for possible characters who could get in.
What code of conduct are we going by that strictly states we can't have cartoon characters in smash? I mean I get its to celebrate games but still theres no rules.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
What code of conduct are we going by that strictly states we can't have cartoon characters in smash? I mean I get its to celebrate games but still theres no rules.
Because

Sakurai

Said

No

Manga

Characters

In

Smash

That's the rule.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
There is no Pandora's Box. That's just a huge fallacy that doesn't make any sense. It doesn't mean anybody else would make it in whatsoever. It just means Goku's a single exception to his pretty hard rule. Likewise, Sakurai is not some anti-anime person. He adores Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, literally making references to it on Miiiverse during Smash 4's production period(before release). His updates had quite a few.

Really, the sole factor he's acknowledged is "very difficult to license". He has never said any other reason why they are impossible.

That said, as the topic is revived, please keep it civil. In addition, keep "because I said so" type answers to a nonexistent level. They aren't arguments. They give zero constructive reasonings and is an excuse to shut down discussion. On the other hand, the Moderation will shut down discuss if people can't discuss this in a civil and constructive manner.

(For the record, what I say in bold is a mod voice. What I say unbolded is an actual argument).

Quillion

Smash Hero
I said it a few times, and I'll say it again: rights-holding companies would pay Nintendo to put their characters in Smash at this point. It probably wasn't the case during the Melee days, but those days are long past.

Northadox

Smash Apprentice
I maintain the stance that fourth party characters shouldn’t be a thing in Smash, as typically they’re more known for their non-video game dealings. About their potential inclusion in Smash though, I’m not sure why everyone’s mind immediately drifts to Goku when the fourth party debacle comes up. Sure, he originates from Japan, he’s an manga/anime icon, has dozens of appearances in games, and a great warrior that could work in Smash, but he shouldn’t be the only one in the running. After all, there’s millions of characters who don’t have their origins in video games, so only the cream of the crop should be considered. What other fourth parties are definitively global icons that have a history in quality games? I think I know another perfect contender...
Spongebob Squarepants.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
TBH, it just pisses me off. Sakurai has said no, like millions of times, but people are still asking and hoping and dreaming and wishing for Goku to join Smash! When Sakurai says no, he means NO! So just let it go people, I mean come on!

Last edited:

Aurane

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
TBH, it just pisses me off. Sakurai has said no, like millions of times, but people are still asking and hoping and dreaming and wishing for Goku to be in Smash! When Sakurai says no, he means NO! So just let it go people, I mean come on!
Wait. He actually specifically said no to Goku? Do you have a source on that? Because that's ****ing hilarious.

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
When I see a legitimate Goku supporter who isn't doing it for the sake of memes, I do a Banjo and give them a knock on the head. Then I ask them: "Is anyone home?" Shocked a certain someone is nowhere to be found on this thread. Not mentioning names.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Huh.

I mean, it wasnt specifically Goku, himself, but still. I thought his comment was less brief.
Also try searching “goku smash” on Twitter. You might see lots of tweets from people who are still asking for him to be in Smash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom