• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you punish Marth's lag?

zhulander

Smash Rookie
My friend doesn't even know how to l-cancel but I still find it hard to punish his aerials sometimes as Fox. I try to dashdance to bait out a move and then shnair in but he walls me out with dtilt, jab, ftilt, nair, and fair and whenever I try to capitalize on a fair that isn't l-cancelled I still end up getting knocked away by a jab. Also what are some of the best combos against Marth? I've just been shnair wavedash uthrow'ing him and then running away to play neutral again.

1000g2g3g4g800999

Smash Journeyman
You can dtilt hit landing. Or dash in and grab after he whiffs. Or dash in shielding to slide into him, holding forward to shield DI in unless you're passing through each other.

Tmljaw

Smash Rookie
Marth is far more feeble once you get up close to him, so basically avoid the attack (shielding works), and then wave dash out of the shield and go for a shine or grab. Follow up on the attack as much as you can after that.

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Marth sucks up close, as his tipper is what makes him destructive along with his grab and dash dance. Thus, he usually resorts to grabs but since your friend isn't too good, he will not dash dance and will dash grab past you. A bad Marth isn't good at dash dancing well enough to get out of attacks then punish immediately. Stick close and bait grabs, shield his F-smash as it has a lot of lag. When your shield is hit, you probably continue holding shield which isn't good because you can act out of shield much sooner to punish.

You really can't punish his fair as it has so little lag and can be done twice in one short hop which covers a large space in front of him. Since your friend can't L-cancel, you are able to punish it unless he knows to auto cancel it. When you try to shield his fair and still get dtilt away, you can expect an immediate attack; not a grab to come out that is more punishable.

Adamante

Smash Rookie
Just shield -> WD OoS into anything you want
Against D-tilt, d-air shine or grab, against aerials, dash dance or dash WD back and whiff punish with running shine or grab

ZombyDyno

Smash Rookie
You're probably spacing too far away if you're having trouble hitting Marth in between his hit boxes. You need to be just close enough that you can dash jc grab or running shine, but far enough to where you won't be threatened by his fsmash.

I've found that most low level marths will dash when it's time to grab, and usually stand still or jump when it's time to attack. Higher level Marths are a bit harder to deal with because their wd spacing is much better, as well as their patience, so you have to maneuver around and force him to try and read your movement, and punish him at dead angles when he commits to an option.

It's all about spacing in that mu

Another big thing is timing. You want to know exactly the end frames on all of his moves, because with marth, even though his attacks come out fast, they usually have a decent amount of lag between when he can throw out another hit box (most notably is fair, which if you space it close enough you can dd > Nair and pick him apart while he's in the air, similar to what leffen does vs hbox's bairs)

I recommend playing marth vs a good fox to kinda feel out how much of a commitment marth is actually putting in when choosing an option

Edit: wd oos is essential in this mu. Marth either respects it and so you can approach with overshot aerials, or Marth throws out a move to contest and you wd oos. If you think or if they're known to grab, you can do fade back nairs, drill in place, Nair in place, wd in jab to catch his dash in and force an sdi in to a follow up.

Last edited:
Top Bottom