• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do YOU play Wario?

FOUREYES

Smash Journeyman
Hi guys, I'm currently in the process of narrowing down a main for PM. Right now I've narrowed it down to Mewtwo and Wario, so I'm basically alternating between the two in friendlies until one of them really starts to shine for me. My question is this: how do YOU play Wario? I feel like most of the other characters I've played in this and other smash games have a fairly clearly defined playstyle that is made obvious by their moveset. Marth is about controlling space and zoning using his dash-dance and tipper/grab range; Mewtwo controls space and zones using his range and his movement via float/TP/DJ; Brawl Olimar camps people out and controls the stage with his insane grab range and pikmin smashes; PM Lucario is more about baiting with his dashdance and punishing with his insane 0-death magic series combos. PM Wario feels very different from all these characters because I don't see an obvious way to play him; I get the feeling he's sort of like a combination of Captain Falcon and Jigglypuff, with great aerials and aerial mobility in addition to having strong aerials and grabs that lead to kills with the clap, bair, and the waft. He seems like he can be played campy with zoning bairs and his airspeed or punish/combo-y with his dtilt and nair/fair combos. I really like his moveset and how he feels but I don't feel like his "style" is immediately apparent to me.

So with that in mind, what do you feel like Wario's style is, and how do you play him?

Agi

Smash Lord
He has no style, he has no grace. This man's a complete disgrace. The way I play Wario varies drastically based on my mindset/what level my opponent is at. At my safest, AC BAir spam and pray they run into it (usually when fishing for a kill against a scary opponent) at my worst, fishing for DAirs on grounded opponents after DDing for years to start a strong combo string. My baseline level of play is either SFFLing NAirs to knock down opponents and follow with DTilt -> grab -> whatever or spacing FAirs to get a chomp or a grab in and continue from there. I love the air combo game we have on floaties atm, and I know we have a great techchase game on fastfallers but I'm no good with it yet, typically going for getting in my guaranteed damage to make gimps more effective before getting them offstage with BThrow/NAir.

tl;dr, throw out safe hitboxes, wait for an opening, capitalize on it as hard as possible.

FOUREYES

Smash Journeyman
Cool, thanks for the insight. I've been playing a ****-ton of Wario against my roommate's Squirtle/Marth and I'm really feeling him as a main for PM. Dair combos/Bite > anything are stupidly fun when I can pull them off.

Top Bottom