• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you like to recover?

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Hello! I'm a Bowser main trying to develop its meta.

I just wanted to know if you have any habits while recovering with Sheik. Do you tend to use your upB in front of the ledge or under it? Do you have any techniques to stall before grabbing the ledge? Anything will help.

I'm trying to develop techniques to edgeguard Sheik and other top tiers flawlessly. :083:

Last edited:

notsuchabadguy

Smash Apprentice
I usually try to up-b into a ledge sweetspot or, if that's impossible and I'm recovering from under the stage or about stage level, land on the platform above my opponent. Hope that helps!

Journal

Smash Apprentice
Bless your heart, trying to find a way for Bowser to beat Sheik

Synnett

Alligator Lord
Bless your heart, trying to find a way for Bowser to beat Sheik
Well I'm trying lmao https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk8saj2ztRU
You should grab ledge and then claw back throw when sheik lands on stage. Rinse and repeat.
That's my plan, but the thing is... if I get hit by anything when I'm holding the ledge I die, so it is insanely risky to do hold on that ledge, and I'm not really the best at doing it lmao. Definitely something I'm going to practice tho. And that's what I'm trying to see lol.

Interesting thing about Bowser, if he gets hit when holding the ledge on FD or Battlefield, and he gets pushed under the ledge by the knockback, as he go back to normal size, his hitbox pushes on the "ceiling" above him, pushing him down just enough so that it's almost impossible to recover.

Bowser can't really win in neutral, so he really has to be able to get that edgeguard.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion

That's my plan, but the thing is... if I get hit by anything when I'm holding the ledge I die, so it is insanely risky to do hold on that ledge, and I'm not really the best at doing it lmao. Definitely something I'm going to practice tho. And that's what I'm trying to see lol.

Interesting thing about Bowser, if he gets hit when holding the ledge on FD or Battlefield, and he gets pushed under the ledge by the knockback, as he go back to normal size, his hitbox pushes on the "ceiling" above him, pushing him down just enough so that it's almost impossible to recover.

Bowser can't really win in neutral, so he really has to be able to get that edgeguard.
If she is recovering high then don't worry about getting hit. If she's low and still has her jump, use flamethrower. If she is low and just has her up B then edgehog ASAP with fortress.

Last edited:

Poccoishere

Smash Cadet
If I get close to ledge after my double jump then I weave in and out to try and bait them to commit to either the stage or the ledge(the latter is still the better option because **** shiek but still).

Zonda1996

Smash Rookie
One of my favourite recovery methods is to double jump and attempt an aerial on a ledge grabbing opponent.

Depending on what I think they'll try and do when the ledge is free, I'll either Vanish directly to the ledge, or try and air dodge onto the stage. If my options are super limited, Vanish onto a platform or directly above the ledge are the only 2 I'm willing to take most times.

taz3141

Smash Rookie
Hello! I'm a Bowser main trying to develop its meta.

I just wanted to know if you have any habits while recovering with Sheik. Do you tend to use your upB in front of the ledge or under it? Do you have any techniques to stall before grabbing the ledge? Anything will help.

I'm trying to develop techniques to edgeguard Sheik and other top tiers flawlessly. :083:
The thing that I thinktha

Some more things to know about edgegaurding sheik. Sheik's reappearance during here recover does not have a hitbox. As long as you grab ledge after the first poof you are not going to be hit off of the ledge.
Here is were I see some big problems with your plan: If you are not holding ledge then sheik will take it almost every time. I sheik comes from below the ledge then she can be hit out of it but it is tricky. If she comes from above the ledge then I do not believe that it is possible to hit her out of her ledge grab animation. This means that if sheik is coming from above the ledge you have to grab ledge or she will recover there and be safe. This, of course, is not fool proof. If sheik is above the ledge then she can recover to the side platform most of the time. I do not think that Bowser can punish landing on the platform. This means every recovery you have to read the 50/50 of ledge vs platform. Thinking of it as a 50/50 is a gross oversimplification. However, most other characters (i.e. fox, falco, marth, puff, sheik, falcon ect.) can grab ledge and still punish landing on the platform. Bowser does not get this luxury and that is why I think you are going to have a hard time figuring this out.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
If the sheik upb's above the ledge, just grab the edge because 99 out of 100 times they'll try and sweetspot when they use upb above the ledge. If they appear back on stage, just get up and grab, or if they land on a platform ledgedash>upsmash

However, if the sheik uses upb below the ledge, they will typically go right towards it (like a sweetspot, but w/o the instant ledge grab). Again, holding ledge will force them on stage, in perfect position for a ledgehop nair.

Synnett

Alligator Lord
If the sheik upb's above the ledge, just grab the edge because 99 out of 100 times they'll try and sweetspot when they use upb above the ledge. If they appear back on stage, just get up and grab, or if they land on a platform ledgedash>upsmash

However, if the sheik uses upb below the ledge, they will typically go right towards it (like a sweetspot, but w/o the instant ledge grab). Again, holding ledge will force them on stage, in perfect position for a ledgehop nair.
Hey thanks! Bowser as a bunch of great tools to edgeguard sheik, as he can grab the ledge fast and can KK backthrow if they land on stage. The thing I'm having a harder time is when they land on platforms, as I would need an inhuman reaction time to punish it. So I'm trying to get into their mind. Ledgedash utilt might work tho I'll try it.

iAmMatt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mattgw420
Hey thanks! Bowser as a bunch of great tools to edgeguard sheik, as he can grab the ledge fast and can KK backthrow if they land on stage. The thing I'm having a harder time is when they land on platforms, as I would need an inhuman reaction time to punish it. So I'm trying to get into their mind. Ledgedash utilt might work tho I'll try it.
I'm pretty sure upsmash pokes every platform in the game (with the exception of dl, maybe). Also short hop upair might work(?) It might have too much startup though

Top Bottom