• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do You like to play Neutral?

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
As a Roy main, I'd like to know how each of you prefer to play neutral. How do you guys play neutral against aggro-intensive players? How about defensive-based players? I'd just like to know because I feel if we all post how we prefer to play neutral, we may learn something from each other.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
I personally am very grab centric in general, and with Roy having the second largest grab disjoint in the game, it's a pretty good compliment to my game. I'm a firm believer that varying the way your movement looks is huge, so I constantly mix up my DD patterns, and throw in empty SHs and tomahawks that sit on the edge of the opponents punish range. Throughout my dds, I'll litter in dtilts to threaten space and encourage the opponent to respect it.

Another thing I'm a big fan of is empty pivots during DDing. Its something a lot of melee players aren't used to, and it can throw of your opponents projected idea of what space you'll be moving in. Pivot dtilts, ftilts, side bs, jabs, grabs,and fsmashes are great, and can snag your opponent unexpectedly when they weren't planning to crouch (since a lot of those moves are beat by ccing).

Side b is a great anti air tool, and can be used on the run, during pivots, and even continued to provide additional coverage. Also his second fastest move.

Dtilt is dtilt, lol.

That's a pretty good synopsis of my mindset during neutral

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
^ Most of what Flux said. However my style of play fluctuates far more than I'd like it to, most of it is dependent on who I am playing. Like a tournament I went to this weekend (Unfortunately got bopped and couldn't get a match off x.x): I was playing one of our PR members, and took him to game three while he was playing Fox. And his Fox was fairly aggressive, so I tried getting down tilts into forward smashes, regardless if he was at kill percentage or not, it's a nice way to build up damage.
But when I'm playing someone I don't know my majority of play consists of getting in with dash dances, and taking the first opportunity I get, and seeing if I can get anything off these opportunities. My play changes as per my results with my attempts. Like I said, my play fluctuates quite a bit.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
this is an area of smash that i find myself struggling in. My DDing is not optimal, i think im just not used to figuring out how an opponent will react to my DDing so i end up not being able to react correctly or efficiently to any approaches towards me while DDing so my neutral ends being more of me dashing forward when my opponent gives me space and crouching to threaten an attempt to reclaim the space that i took. I often am unable to play with people and so i really only practice tech skill against CPUs and i imagine that causes me to have bad DDing habits.

Top Bottom