• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you Kirbyside?

Vafe

Smash Rookie
I was going to start picking up Kirby and I remembered some of Chudat's old S@X PM Videos where he sat at the ledge and tried to swallow someone and he'd live everytime? How does he do it?
Thanks!

OrientalAmazing

Smash Cadet
It's all about the technicality and finesse that comes to mind when pressing that one, relatively small red button.

ExplosiveChaos

Smash Cadet
NNID
ExplosiveChaos
I was going to start picking up Kirby and I remembered some of Chudat's old S@X PM Videos where he sat at the ledge and tried to swallow someone and he'd live everytime? How does he do it?
Thanks!
You just have to be offstage as you inhale them (and I know that you were not referring to this part of the Kirbyside unlike some other people). But the trick is just to time you A release and start jumping back up to stage. Just practice in Training for a little and you'll get it down. It isn't a hard tech.

Hi I'm Urban

Smash Cadet
Chu was able to make it back so much, usually because the opponent would mash out (foolishly). People have stopped mashing out so much and it results in your death as well unless you inhale them on stage and wait till you know they will just pop out normally (about 4 seconds I believe).

But there's a bigger issue, people know how to punish inhale from the ledge now and if you go for it a looooot, then you'll get killed more than you kirbycide. You should experiment with combos into inhale and only inhale from ledge if you know that they can't punish it (never do this against a good marth, for example).

I like up-tilt into inhale and b-throw into inhale. B-throw at low percents allows you to jump off and inhale, all they can do is jump or fast fall if they are still in hitstun. It's not a difficult read and it's one of the most consisitant ways to kirbycide, honestly. If you f-throw a floaty off stage at low percents, you can potetially waveland out of your f-throw and jump into inhale based on they're DI. Try also using platforms to your advantage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6SqlWTkeqY, go to about 12:30. This is a good example of using the platforms to confirm a kirbycide, and the kirbycide on the final stock is a good example of when to inhale from the ledge. Wait till they are in lag or can't put out a hitbox that will stop you.

I know this is probably more info than you were looking for but I highly recommend keeping the kirbycide in your back pocket and not making it your playstyle.

TacoKirby

Smash Rookie
Chu was able to make it back so much, usually because the opponent would mash out (foolishly). People have stopped mashing out so much and it results in your death as well unless you inhale them on stage and wait till you know they will just pop out normally (about 4 seconds I believe).

But there's a bigger issue, people know how to punish inhale from the ledge now and if you go for it a looooot, then you'll get killed more than you kirbycide. You should experiment with combos into inhale and only inhale from ledge if you know that they can't punish it (never do this against a good marth, for example).

I like up-tilt into inhale and b-throw into inhale. B-throw at low percents allows you to jump off and inhale, all they can do is jump or fast fall if they are still in hitstun. It's not a difficult read and it's one of the most consisitant ways to kirbycide, honestly. If you f-throw a floaty off stage at low percents, you can potetially waveland out of your f-throw and jump into inhale based on they're DI. Try also using platforms to your advantage. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6SqlWTkeqY, go to about 12:30. This is a good example of using the platforms to confirm a kirbycide, and the kirbycide on the final stock is a good example of when to inhale from the ledge. Wait till they are in lag or can't put out a hitbox that will stop you.

I know this is probably more info than you were looking for but I highly recommend keeping the kirbycide in your back pocket and not making it your playstyle.
I noticed in one of the matches between Chu and Chillindude that he was baiting him towards the ledge by running up and ducking under projectiles, throwing out a move now and then and attempting to approach. If I approach correctly near the ledge, I go for a swallow jump off. I have noticed that if they mash out, this can put them pretty far off stage, even if you didn't get off the stage while he was swallowed. You can then combo this into things like D-air or B-air.

BTW, always watch professionals like Yador or Chudat, because you can learn quite a bit even after the old updates.

qwertz143

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
QWER#215
Switch FC
3943-7485-4011
Kirbycide actually got nerfed in the latest update so you cant move while you've inhaled, as in you cant glide with the opponent in your mouth and you only fall straight down, which makes it harder to do what chudat was doing. Which is why you save your kirbycides for when you are at a super high percent and your opponent is low.

Last edited:

TacoKirby

Smash Rookie
Kirbycide actually got nerfed in the latest update so you cant move while you've inhaled, as in you can glide with the opponent in your mouth and you only fall straight down, which makes it harder to do what chudat was doing. Which is why you save your kirbycides for when you are at a super high percent and your opponent is low.
Interesting, thought something was different. Thx for telling us, will help.

TacoKirby

Smash Rookie
There is also a difference between kirbysiding and dededesiding (if this is a thing). Dedede falls faster with them in his mouth, leading for faster deaths. And I think he walks slower than kirby in his mouth on stage.

Top Bottom