• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you guys think the Smash Ballot would have gone down in 64, Melee, and Brawl had DLC been a thing back then?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm not saying a Smash Ballot would exist back then had DLC existed at the time, but I'm just asking you guys on who you think would be chosen from the Ballot during those time periods. I'm basically asking you who would be the Bayonetta, K. Rool, Ridley, and Simon of 64, Melee, and Brawl?

Last edited:

Sky_B

Smash Rookie
Well, I’m fairly sure that melee would have Sonic, everybody wanted him. I’m not awfully sure about other characters, maybe Dixie Kong in brawl?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Well, I’m fairly sure that melee would have Sonic, everybody wanted him. I’m not awfully sure about other characters, maybe Dixie Kong in brawl?
Sonic would for sure have gotten into 64 or Melee had the Ballot existed back then. K. Rool though was still a lot more popular than Dixie back then in the Brawl days, so I don't see her being a likely choice.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
64 would have had Mewtwo, Banjo, Bowser, Peach and Wario.

Melee would have had Diddy Kong, Toad, Sonic and Tails part due to the rumours of the latter three's inclusion.

Brawl would have had Ridley if he hadn't already been included in a previous one and maybe Dixie Kong upon finding out she had been considered. Maybe K. Rool. If Sonic made Melee, Megaman would have been massively requested for Brawl.

BowserKing

Smash Lord
Of the first game, either :ultbowser::ultmewtwo: or :ultkingdedede: since they were considered for this game

King Dedede qualifies for Melee as well, but the next 3 would be :ultsonic::ultridley: and :249:

As for Brawl, it could be :ultmegaman:, :ultkrool:, Mewtwo returning and a few more surprises

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Oh right, we should take a minute to talk about the Forbidden Seven
If we hat ballots, then somewhere between Brawl and "Brawl DLC," Dixie Kong, Roy, Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, and a currently unkown fighter would have meade it in.
"Toon Sheik" and "Toon Zelda" may have been included but since "Toon Sheik" doesn't exist I can't be sure (unless it refers to Tetra).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
64: It was quite clear the most requested characters where :bowsermelee::peachmelee::mewtwomelee: back then. The request for a new Zelda character would also be apperant, thinking that :younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee: could also happen and they would likely get more detailed in their moveset than balant clones like in Melee. :marthmelee: would also score high and of course characters as :diddy::warioc::dedede::pt::charizard: also would be heavily requested. If third party characters would be possible, :sonic: would also be very popular, and so would Banjo, who wouldn't even count as a 3rd party yet.

Melee: Assuming we'd get around the same cast, and DLC would be implemented here, the only missing characters from this game that would be requested a lot are :diddy::warioc::dedede::metaknight::pt::charizard: and maybe :olimar::wolf::toonlink:. Pikmin and Wind Waker where massive in the early GCN days, so yes I'd expect them to be requested a lot. :ultridley::ultkrool: would also be noticed, but not as much as the rest probably. Banjo likely wouldn't get as much attention because of the Rare buyout.

Brawl: :ultmewtwo::ultridley::ultkrool::4megaman::4palutena::4littlemac: would be my best guesses. Maybe a second Sonic character, maybe some less obvious stuff as :4cloud::4ryu::4shulk::4villager::4pacman:.

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
Random fun fact, James Bond from Golden Eye was actually the most requested character in 64. Not even joking.

If copyright had worked out, we'd think of mother****ing James Bond in the same way we would think of Ness or Captain Falcon.

Sky_B

Smash Rookie
Oh right, we should take a minute to talk about the Forbidden Seven
If we hat ballots, then somewhere between Brawl and "Brawl DLC," Dixie Kong, Roy, Mewtwo, Dr. Mario, and a currently unkown fighter would have meade it in.
"Toon Sheik" and "Toon Zelda" may have been included but since "Toon Sheik" doesn't exist I can't be sure (unless it refers to Tetra).
In terms of the forbidden 7, I’m fairly sure the unknown fighter was titled pramai, theorized to be a plusle and minus team fighter. Just adding. In terms of toon sheik, yeah, probably tetra, because that is the toon equivalent to sheik.

Last edited:

TreeChopperVillager

The Rubber Man Himself...
Switch FC
SW 1611 0712 3143
you do know the only reason Sonic wasn't in melee is because SEGA declined it.

Also Dedede and Bowser were considered for 64. Along with James bond in melee. Still trying to imagine a Palutena's guidance / Snake Codec for James bond lol.

Last edited:

Sky_B

Smash Rookie
you do know the only reason Sonic wasn't in melee is because SEGA declined it.
I know, but he would’ve been on the ballot, and Sakurai would’ve been willing to try. It’s like the comments on James Bond in this thread. Of course he was never going to get in, but people would’ve wanted him.

TreeChopperVillager

Switch FC
SW 1611 0712 3143
I know, but he would’ve been on the ballot, and Sakurai would’ve been willing to try. It’s like the comments on James Bond in this thread. Of course he was never going to get in, but people would’ve wanted him.
And he did try. That's what leads up to SEGA declining it. And you're right, Sonic would make it onto the ballot but if SEGA declines it the chances of sonic getting into melee back then would of went down from 99% to 1%. Don't get me wrong I would of LOVED to see sonic in melee and so would any other typical smash fan. Also, of course people wanted James Bond in it but lets be real here that would be weird. Yet again they did let snake in brawl.

64: It was quite clear the most requested characters where :bowsermelee::peachmelee::mewtwomelee: back then. The request for a new Zelda character would also be apperant, thinking that :younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee: could also happen and they would likely get more detailed in their moveset than balant clones like in Melee. :marthmelee: would also score high and of course characters as :diddy::warioc::dedede::pt::charizard: also would be heavily requested. If third party characters would be possible, :sonic: would also be very popular, and so would Banjo, who wouldn't even count as a 3rd party yet.

Melee: Assuming we'd get around the same cast, and DLC would be implemented here, the only missing characters from this game that would be requested a lot are :diddy::warioc::dedede::metaknight::pt::charizard: and maybe :olimar::wolf::toonlink:. Pikmin and Wind Waker where massive in the early GCN days, so yes I'd expect them to be requested a lot. :ultridley::ultkrool: would also be noticed, but not as much as the rest probably. Banjo likely wouldn't get as much attention because of the Rare buyout.

Brawl: :ultmewtwo::ultridley::ultkrool::4megaman::4palutena::4littlemac: would be my best guesses. Maybe a second Sonic character, maybe some less obvious stuff as :4cloud::4ryu::4shulk::4villager::4pacman:.
Well, a second sonic character wasn't likely mainly cause sonic just got into the franchise. Plus it's not a case like mario or pokemon where 2 characters at the start would make sense. As for Melee ( and soon on 64 ) I don't think Olimar or Toon link would of make it in as Sakurai doesn't like to instantly put characters from new games in smash ( Cause Pikmin and Windwaker were made around the time of melees release, 2001. ). King Dedede had a solid chance of getting in along with Wario and Diddy Kong mainly due to these reasons. Dedede: He was planned around Smash 64's development so it would of made sense to include him in melee. Diddy Kong: At the time, he was a perfect candidate to represent Donkey Kong Country. Probably over K.Rool.
And Wario: He was actually planned to be in Melee but never made the cut. He's a good person to represent the villian's side of the mario series. Red probably wouldn't make it in but Charizard had a good chance. And last but not least, 64. Bowser, Mewtwo and Peach were the most obvious choices. Bowser, Like Dedede, was planned for 64 but didn't make it. Ganondorf had good chances too but Young link? Not so much. You see as i said earlier Sakurai doesn't like to instantly put characters from new games into smash. And Young link would be a bad choice compared to Zelda Or Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Well, obviously similar to how they made snake work out.
He would probably use more flashy gadgets than explosions and slow moving hits. He'd also have to reference every Roger Moore movie in order for him to be acceptable.

Now I don't normally endorse NVGC's but I gotta say James Bond music in Smash would be the ****.

TreeChopperVillager

Switch FC
SW 1611 0712 3143
He would probably use more flashy gadgets than explosions and slow moving hits. He'd also have to reference every Roger Moore movie in order for him to be acceptable.

Now I don't normally endorse NVGC's but I gotta say James Bond music in Smash would be the ****.
I don't know much about James Bond, tbh.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

I have to agree, James Bond music is quite consistently catchy as heck.
Let the sky fall~ / When it crumbles~ / We will stand tall~ / And face it all together~
Dance into the fire~ / That fatal kiss is all we need~ / Dance into the fire~ / The fatal sound of broken dreams~
You'll never know how I've watched you from the shadows as a child~ / You'll never know how it feels to get so close and be denied~
The world is not enough~ / But it is such a perfect place to start, my love~ / And if you're strong enough~ / Together we can take the world apart, my love~
I could go on, but I think four snippets is plenty. Plus, all of those songs are sung by separate bands — James Bond movies constantly change who performs their main themes, so the rights arrangements for a compilation of James Bond music would be a real hot mess to sort out.

Last edited:

Sky_B

Smash Rookie
Plus, all of those songs are sung by separate bands — James Bond movies constantly change who performs their main themes, so the rights arrangements for a compilation of James Bond music would be a real hot mess to sort out.
If you think about it though, you could just use instrumentals. It worked well enough for Bayonetta.

Geno Boost

Smash Master
Pretty sure Earth worm Jim and Geno and Sukapon and Krystal would have been in there
There are many characters that were alive during that time which are now dead would have been supported

Last edited:

Pupp135

Smash Lord
64: Going from the Smash 2 poll, the most requested characters were Bowser, Peach, Wario, King Dedede, and Ganon(dorf). If DLC was a thing since the N64, I feel that Bowser, Dedede, and Mewtwo (who was just behind Ganon(dorf)) would’ve made it in without the ballot since they were worked on during development. If a ballot did give us a new character, I’d probably say Peach since she was second, and I could see Sakurai wanting to add another female character.

Melee: 64DLC complicates things since Dedede never appeared in Melee. I could just pretend that Melee gets a delay to fit in the 26 canon characters and Dedede, but I could see someone getting dropped (I’ll say Game & Watch since I‘d like to keep two unique gimmicks). In terms of DLC now, I’d say that Wario, Toad, Diddy, Sonic, a few pokemon characters (I’ll go with the trainer, Charizard, and maybe a unique pokemon from Jhoto), and maybe Banjo-Kazooie would be the big requests. I’m confident that Wario wouldn’t need the ballot since he was the next unique newcomer to add. Also, I’ll say Game & Watch gets added because of his quirky nature. The final DLC characters I‘d say are Snake due to Kojima and then Sonic for both the ballot and the request from Sega during development.

Brawl: For convenience, I’ll keep Brawl’s roster the same even if some development time is freed up from Wario, Dedede, Sonic, and Snake already being in this hypothetical. Popular requests during Brawl to For were Mewtwo, Ridley, K. Rool, Krystal, Bowser Jr., Mega Man, and I think Little Mac (I’m sure Palutena and Shulk would be requested if it was for For and not Brawl DLC). For DLC, I assume that Mewtwo, Roy, Dr. Mario, and maybe Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik would be added without the help of the ballot (Dixie was supposed to be Diddy’s partner, and I’m confident praimai is just the random button). From a ballot, I’d probably say Mega Man is the one who gets added or one of Krystal/Bowser Jr./Little Mac if copyright issues are a thing.

Last edited:

HYRULESHERO42

Smash Journeyman
How high do you think the odds would be for a Japan-only character getting added as dlc? I’m thinking Doshin the Giant as Melee dlc.

olimar would be the melee dlc “shill pick” to use a phrase popular on this site…

AlRex

Smash Lord
64 already kind of had a poll post-launch/pre-Melee, so we sort of know how that shakes out. I still would like to see the universe where James Bond got in. Darth Vader and Goku are probably in, eventually, among others. If people think third-party guest characters overshadow Nintendo characters now...

Post-Melee, Sonic is definitely up there. The Rare characters (mostly Banjo & Kazooie and Conker) would also be popular requests. Toad was also subject of a popular hoax around the time, so I can see him being up there, as well. Pokemon are variable, but I see the most popular one around this time being Meowth. Animal Crossing and Pikmin are fairly recent, but big around this time, so I can see requests for them as well. Mega Man, Pac-Man, Crash, and Final Fantasy characters might be decently requested, though perhaps not as much as Sonic, since we don't really have third-parties yet. Some of the classic NES games that got more commonly remembered about, like ExciteBike, Duck Hunt, or Punch-Out, have a decent shot. People are also underestimating how many "meme" picks would show up if these are done outside of Japan. Maybe not as much around this time, but maybe CATS from Zero Wing would get requests around this time. Or even Mr. T or Jon Stewart, if people are feeling even more jokey. Goku would also still be requested around this time, along with popular superheroes like Spider-Man, Wolverine, the Hulk, Superman, Batman, etc. and Star Wars characters, even if there's a rule saying "VG characters only."

Post-Brawl, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Final Fantasy, and even further third party requests would be emboldened. Maybe even some more out-there ones like Master Chief. Strange to believe that now he's somewhat likely. Back to Nintendo characters, Ridley would definitely be up there. Characters like the WarioWare cast, Fawful, Vaati, Tetra, Black Shadow, Krystal, Masked Man, Isaac, Captain Rainbow, Chibi-Robo, among others, would see more (or even more) popularity around this time. Someone like Chuck Norris or Barack Obama would probably be the common joke request around this time. Optimus Prime might even be requested if people know about DreamMix TV World Fighters.

Last edited:

Butters Stotch

Smash Ace
Why Characters Got Cut: Super Smash Bros. Brawl - The Forbidden Seven (& Friends) - YouTube

According to the video above, it seems that Brawl was supposed to bring back everyone from Melee. I don't have too much to say about who I think would get in as DLC for the three games, but I think it's extremely likely that some or most of the cut veterans and newcomers discussed in the video (with exceptions like Geno) would've been DLC for Brawl if possible. Still, K. Rool, Mega Man, and others would probably have good chances if requested enough.

Top Bottom