• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you guys think Terry is gonna be?

USA

Smash Rookie
I have a feeling he is gonna be a better version of Ken cause I noticed with the majority of the dlc fighters are really great tt play as. Piranna plant is ok and i do think is underrated but from Joker and uptions. I am really curious how he will effect the overall flow of the game when he is released? I love seeing anther awesome person in an already great fighting game. What do you guys think?

Venclaire

Smash Apprentice
I hope he's top or even high tier. I really enjoy fighting game characters in Smash and would not mind them adding more, tbh.

When they showed Iori in the trailer, I got extremely excited

Still sad he isn't in tbh

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I think he’ll be how Ryu was in smash 4, extremely effective but with a few key weaknesses and a small but dedicated player base that will occasionally get results.

Last edited:

USA

Smash Rookie
I can def say in high tier but yet i feel like tiers are always changing and i think he wil have some great combos and movies. I noticed a pattern. After Piranna plant every dlc fighter was just plain awesome. Joker has so many options. Hero can kill at 25 percent and banjoo has amazing combs but his side b is to die for. I think they will make him good because Nitendo has been consistant lately. I feel he will be like Ken but faster and easier to get the kill.. lol my 2 predictions for smash came true so far that joker would win evo and heros fireball will be nerfed. I have a strong feeling he gonna make some gains.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I can see him being around A tier. He probably won't be too common in competitive play assuming he has the light/heavy button attacks like Ryu/Ken have.

Honestly I'm sort of hoping he isn't completely busted since it means more power to the people who genuinely like him.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
I can see him being around A tier. He probably won't be too common in competitive play assuming he has the light/heavy button attacks like Ryu/Ken have.

Honestly I'm sort of hoping he isn't completely busted since it means more power to the people who genuinely like him.
As a huge fan of Terry I partly hope he is busted lmao.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Terry is a nice surprise. I think what will happen is that the pros will think he sucks at first because they wont get how he plays at first and then he will get results. I do wonder if he will be a better aerial fighter than ryu and ken due to how short hops are a big part of opening your opponent up in kof.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
In think he’s going to be a really popular tourney pick. Like more popular than Ken but not quite as much as Wolf one palutena.

He’ll most likely have some sort of input mechanic. And to top it n off, something like Cloud’s Limit but without the manual charging.

He’ll be a character that can make a comeback, and/or gain an extra stock advantage if he’s in the lead easily.

I think it all comes down to (THIS!) if he has good oos options, grabs, and aerials, because I can only judge based on the hypothetical mechanics and the 2 moves we saw on the clip.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I think he might have a good oos being rising tackle. It functions like a get off me move like the shotos. I do wonder if he will have a meter mechanic as well. Art of fighting had a super meter so maybe they will use that? I'm not too sure on how meter worked in art of fighting, i think the player had to take a certain amount of damage in order to have access to the super. The other way is to use kof meter maybe he gets access to the 5 meter desperation and gets access to big damaging combos.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
I play Smash a lot and use a variety of characters that it is hard for me to say that I main a particular character, but I look at Terry and I see a character that I would like to consider maining.

AceAttorney9000

Smash Lord
My general thoughts and predictions on Terry's gameplay and mechanics...
  • He's going to have the same "fighting game" mechanics as Ryu and Ken, in that his moves can be done with either the Smash Bros. tilt inputs, or with the original motion inputs from his home series, and he'll be set to always face his opponent in a one-on-one match.
  • One difference in said mechanics that will set him apart from Ryu and Ken: his moveset in the Fatal Fury and King of Fighters games shared inputs between Punch and Kick buttons, so his moveset in Ultimate will do the same with the Attack and Special buttons...
    • Power Wave - Neutral Special or↘→ + Attack
    • Burn Knuckle - Side Special or↙← + Attack
    • Rising Tackle - Up Special or →↓↘ + Attack
    • Crack Shoot - Down Special or↙← + Special
    • Power Dunk - Neutral Special in the air or →↓↘ + Special
    • Power Charge - ←↙↘→ + Special
  • In addition, Terry will also have a meter mechanic based on the Super Meter from the King of Fighters games. The meter fills up whenever Terry gets hit, and he can also manually charge it by holding down both the Block and Special buttons (similar to how Inkling refills their Ink meter). When the meter is full, Terry enters MAX Mode and his attacks will do more damage. He also gains the ability to perform his Desperation Move Power Geyser by inputting ↓↘→↓↘→ + Attack, at the cost of completely emptying the meter.
    • If Terry's damage percentage reaches 300%, he will be able to perform Power Geyser infinitely, regardless of the meter (in reference to the King of Fighters mechanic where characters can perform Desperation Moves infinitely when their health bar is low enough).
  • Like Ryu and Ken, Terry will also have two Final Smashes, with which one he uses depending on his distance from his opponents...
    • If he is farther away, Terry will perform the Buster Wolf, his iconic Desperation Move from many of SNK's fighting games starting in Garou: Mark of the Wolves.
    • If he is right next to an opponent, Terry will perform the Star Dunk Volcano, his CLIMAX Move from The King of Fighters XIV.

Last edited:

mobilisq

Smash Ace
for some reason I feel like he's gonna be the heavy version of Ken and ryu

a little slower but incredibly tank-y

Top Bottom