• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you guys do right-facing retreating AC Fairs?

GlowingOrangeOoze

Smash Cadet
Idk how to do it without clawing or changing my controller config. And I'm super bad at switching in and out of clawing mid-match. Anyone got any ancient hidden family technique they could share with me?

kinda awkward to ask such a small question on such a slow board but w/e. I'm fighting the good fight here.

Last edited:

CORY

wut
BRoomer
So, fade away fair? Like, facing right, jump back (left) while still facing right, and do a fair?

If that's it, make sure you jump before you begin to pull back, and use the cstick to input the fair.

If you go bstick mode, you'll just have to get really good at quickly as itching directions. Otherwise, it's not too difficult, you just need to practice at it for a few minutes.

GlowingOrangeOoze

Smash Cadet
Yeah that's what I mean. So you use the c-stick for it? I just have a lot of trouble getting my right thumb from Y to the top of the c-stick fast enough for the AC. Doing it while facing left, I can just slide my thumb off of Y and across the c-stick. So I was just wondering if anyone had a clever way of doing it to the right.

For now I guess I'll just keep practicing doing it with the c-stick like you said, and hope no one notices all my fairs to the left are L-cancelled and all my fairs to the right are auto-cancelled :d

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
Well you can learn to claw, press X to jump instead of Y, do both or you can simply SHFFL.
I don't think there's an advantage to SHACing your Fair instead of SHFFLing it (the time you spend in the air waiting for the autocancel frames is as big as the time you spend lagging with a L cancel), you don't make it any safer and imo the only use is for baiting if you can make your opponent believe that you will lag on landing.

Unless it autocancels sooner in 3.6 ? IDK, but I don't feel like it.

Squints~.~

Smash Rookie
Couldn't you just use Z to input the fair? eliminates the issue of thumb speed.
I think the advantage to using the c-stick is to avoid affecting your backwards momentum by using the analog stick and attack button to input a fair. It's really important to space yourself as much as possible considering an l-cancelled fair is still punishable against fast players just from the amount of time the move takes to throw out.

GlowingOrangeOoze

Smash Cadet
Yeah, Squints has got it. I was just about to say the same thing.

And yeah, telu, you might be right. I haven't looked at the detailed numbers. Still, with the SHFFL, I spend my lag stationary, grounded, and in a more obvious, punishable state that people are really used to exploiting as "this is where I punish the aerial". I'm honestly just trying to justify how I feel about the AC fair vs. the SHFFL fair. I seem to have noticeably better success hitting/spacing AC fairs than SHFFL for some reason. It might just be related to how I play, but it feels like something real to me. For the time being, I'm definitely a believer that retreating AC fair is a great option in many occasions where you're spaced just a little too close

And yeah, I suppose I may have to claw. I guess I'll see which I can do first with practice.

Last edited:

teluoborg

Smash Otter
Premium
NNID
teloutre
You can semi claw like I do, and only use the side of your second finger to press the X button. Takes some times to get used to it but once you do it's just a smooth motion from the default hand position and the tip of the second finger stays on the Z button.

GlowingOrangeOoze

Smash Cadet
Presently, I have X bound to shield, because I think easy powershields might be a really big deal for ganon if I get good at em, but I'll give that a try if I get desperate. Thanks for the suggestion. That does feel like a pretty good step up from clawing Y, at least.

Yambotico

Smash Rookie
Here's the way I like to do it. I hold the controller in a mostly normal grip and use the base of my thumb to flick the c stick in whatever direction. It'll take some getting used to but it essentially gives you the same benefit of the claw grip without having to claw. I learned it for doing instant drifting SH up airs with pikachu but I use it for almost all of my aerials now

GlowingOrangeOoze

Smash Cadet
I've done that without thinking about it from time to time but I didn't think it was that reliable. That seems like the best option, if I can get the hang of it.

Top Bottom