• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

What are your thoughts about Joker/Ren getting in before Bomberman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
When I heard the news about Joker/Ren coming to Smash Ultimate as a DLC, I was surprised to see that he got in before Bomberman, who was eliminated from being playable as an assist trophy. I honestly felt that a better assist trophy choice would be Quote (Cave Story) or Beck (Mighty No 9). Bomberman would have also been a better addition for a playable character, than Joker/Ren

My question to you is how are you feeling about Joker/Ren becoming playable before Bomberman? And why?

Don't worry Bomberman still has a high chance of being playable in Smash 6.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Bomberman is my most wanted character for Smash, so I’m a bit pissy about the Assist snubbing.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Bomberman is my most wanted character for Smash, so I’m a bit pissy about the Assist snubbing.
Yeah, but we already have 3 Konami playable characters, Snake, Simon, and Richter, adding Bomberman would make 4. But I think that's okay, and Bomberman should be playable.

Does anyone else think Bomberman would have been a better addition instead of Joker/Ren?

Last edited:

Aeon_Shadow

Smash Journeyman
I feel like you're trying to stir something here, what with you posting this on the Joker sub-forum and all...

D

Deleted member

Uh, Joker doesn't look like a psychotic Chihuahua or a Chinese guy with guns.

StormC

Smash Hero
How do you feel about King K. Rool getting in before Goku?

OpticalBlast

Smash Journeyman
Joker is cool, I'm not complaining.

If it makes you feel any better, Bomberman is playable in SSF2.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Putting this on the Joker sub-forum as it is pretty the equivalent of asking Joker fans "Hey I know you are happy that one of your wants in this game but don't you wish he wasn't?"
Plus, as has been mentioned by Flyboy Flyboy , Joker and Bomberman aren't even tied to the same company. A more apt question would have been “How do you feel about Joker getting in before Arle”? (In before Ridrool64 Ridrool64 shows up in a highly triggered state...)

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I am fine with this, since other Konami-owned characters could get in at some point. At least Bomberman gets to fight :ultwario: period.

Seeing how many Bomberman games there are, there just simply wasn't enough time to crib as much material to reference them as possible while still providing variety for his gameplay beyond bomb-planting and physical attacks.

Beck (Mighty No 9)
After MN9, I honestly doubt Beck would have gotten to be a guest in much of anything, never mind Smash. He even lost top billing for the title of some Mighty Gunvolt game entries.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
I am fine with this, since other Konami-owned characters could get in at some point. At least Bomberman gets to fight :ultwario: period.

Seeing how many Bomberman games there are, there just simply wasn't enough time to crib as much material to reference them as possible while still providing variety for his gameplay beyond bomb-planting and physical attacks.
Bomberman Hero offers quite a bit (the Bomber Gear is dope).

After MN9, I honestly doubt Beck would have gotten to be a guest in much of anything, never mind Smash.
I'll bet Inafune feels like an anime fan on prom night.

osby

Smash Obsessed

After MN9, I honestly doubt Beck would have gotten to be a guest in much of anything, never mind Smash.
You don't need a ton of references to make a moveset.

Ultrashroomz

Smash Journeyman
Joker was #1 in my wishlist, Bomberman probably wasn't even in my top 20.

...so uh take a wild guess.

soyperson

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-6207-2383-9806
Bomberman would probably have ended up just being another explosive, projectile-centric character and wouldn't bring anything new to the playing field. He works well as an assist trophy.

Sabrewulf238

Smash Hero
I mean, I think both Bomberman and Shin Megami Tensei are both very deserving of getting playable representation in Smash.

So I feel bad for Bomberman but that doesn't have anything to do with Joker getting in.

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I'd be more looking at wtf Piranha plant is doing in this game over all of the other requested nintendo characters. Like did even a single person ask for the plant lol. Its just kinda lame to me. Anyway, i'm all for the hype DLC from other games, especially outside of the nintendo sphere. Joker is surprising, but will make a great fighter. Overall, we have a huge saturation of the classic mainstream nintendo characters, so I'm not surprised that they aren't adding more of them. Keep in mind that Nintendo probably has every video game IP trying to get a character into their game. Its a huge advertisement and Nintendo is probably leveraging this. More games ported to switch, maybe raw cash, who knows.

StormC

Smash Hero
Joker is from Persona.
Nintendo has billed Joker as being part of the SMT franchise:

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/d...smash-bros-ultimate-as-a-playable-dlc-fighter

The Persona games are a spinoff of the popular Shin Megami Tensei franchise, which has a long and storied history in the world of video games – with many of the games appearing on Nintendo systems.
I think it's fair to say Persona 5 is at least the most adjacent to SMT of any of the Persona games. You battle SMT monsters, you recruit them, you can even interrogate and negotiate with them. The themes of law vs. chaos are also very much in line with SMT.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Nintendo has billed Joker as being part of the SMT franchise:

https://www.nintendo.com/whatsnew/d...smash-bros-ultimate-as-a-playable-dlc-fighter

I think it's fair to say Persona 5 is at least the most adjacent to SMT of any of the Persona games. You battle SMT monsters, you recruit them, you can even interrogate and negotiate with them. The themes of law vs. chaos are also very much in line with SMT.
I wouldn't call P5 most adjacent to SMT. Did you see Megami Ibunroku Persona? That game might as well be a SMT title like Strange Journey.

And being spun-off from a series doesn't make it a part of that. Same thing with DKC and Super Mario, they are treated as different series.

StormC

Smash Hero
I wouldn't call P5 most adjacent to SMT. Did you see Megami Ibunroku Persona? That game might as well be a SMT title like Strange Journey.

And being spun-off from a series doesn't make it a part of that. Same thing with DKC and Super Mario, they are treated as different series.
I'd say it's closer to the Yoshi series than DKC. DKC has virtually no recognizable ties to Mario or its characters outside of a descendant of the original Donkey Kong. Yoshi has a lot of the same enemies as the Mario series, same with Persona 5 and SMT.

...now I want a Mario RPG with an enemy recruitment system.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
So, Yoshi and Mario are Donkey Kong reps?
Yoshi and Mario aren't Donkey Kong spinoffs, but you could argue that DK and Yoshi are Mario reps considering that's where they originated from.

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
much as i love bomberman i dont think he'd be good in smash. I feel he'd either be incredibly obnoxious to face (think Wiiu Duck Hunt on steroids... not good but seriously freaking annoying) or wouldnt feel true to his identity.

I dont even play persona games so i have no input on joker. It feels odd to me to add a persona character but then again we have cloud and shulk already so RPG characters arent out.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
much as i love bomberman i dont think he'd be good in smash. I feel he'd either be incredibly obnoxious to face (think Wiiu Duck Hunt on steroids... not good but seriously freaking annoying) or wouldnt feel true to his identity.

I dont even play persona games so i have no input on joker. It feels odd to me to add a persona character but then again we have cloud and shulk already so RPG characters arent out.
I would envision Bomberman as being potentially ridiculously OP due to outstanding damage output and amazing recovery, but having a very, very steep learning curve due to his kit's many time-delayed attacks that can be turned against him.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
...Like did even a single person ask for the plant lol...
Smash isn't necessarily supposed to be trying to fulfill every wish list ever- That is impossible (Also is varies region from region and person to person so they'd never finish the game.) Remember that Smash has added characters from obscure series to add variety, expose people to new games, or let the development team stretch their creativity. Then they become more popular, end up being referenced in more games, and they become a Nintendo/Smash staple.
Besides, some of the more obscure characters in Smash are also pretty deserving on their own. Duck Hunt appears twice in the top 3 best selling NES games. The NES is iconic and so is the game's visuals themselves. Wii Fit and the Wii series of games are one of the best selling game series EVER. Most series that are even close to the sales of the Wii series are 20-30 years old. It was honestly a pop culture phenomenon similar to Pac-Mania, Pokemon-Mania, the Minecraft craze, etc.
As a design, piranha plant has an incredibly iconic look that many non gamers would easily recognize. Probably much more so than Link, Mega Man, Mewtwo, etc.
Sakurai said they were looking for a character to add who wasn't the typical protagonist/antagonist/deuteragonist character role that we have gotten time and time again. So even if they didn't settle on piranha plant as this character, it still probably wouldn't have been the character you were wanting... unless you have a thing for side and supporting characters.

...Bomberman, who was eliminated from being playable as an assist trophy...
That isn't how that works. They chose the roster when the project plan started. They didn't say "Hey, let's make this character an assist to piss of their fans." They actually are more like "Hey, we don't have enough time and resources set aside to make this character, but we really think they have fans/are important to the industry/Nintendo- maybe we can make them an assist because it takes less time and resources to do." It still takes time and effort, but not as much. They got added as an assist because of their fans and importance. Smash Bros will never have a roster containing every character somebody in the world wants, but they try and give nods to the more popular and important characters in many different ways- Assists, Items, Stage elements, etc.

Earl_dud

Smash Rookie
I don't feel to good about it. Bomber man was my pick for the smash ballet. I didn't even know who Joker was until he was announced for Smash. My girlfriend is a huge persona fan tho it's she really happy which makes me happy. So I guess +1 point to Nintendo for making my gf happy!

Xquirtle

Smash Journeyman
Smash isn't necessarily supposed to be trying to fulfill every wish list ever- That is impossible (Also is varies region from region and person to person so they'd never finish the game.)
I'm just saying that plant is a derp character that is not deserving of a DLC slot. It should have just been a base line addition that was exciting for like 20 minutes after you unlock it for the first time. Unless nintendo drops a big ole turd, plant will be the least popular DLC character by far. The only redeeming factor is that most of us did not have to pay 6 dollars to get her.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I'm just saying that plant is a derp character that is not deserving of a DLC slot. It should have just been a base line addition that was exciting for like 20 minutes after you unlock it for the first time. Unless nintendo drops a big ole turd, plant will be the least popular DLC character by far. The only redeeming factor is that most of us did not have to pay 6 dollars to get her.
I mean you realize that judging by the files in game Plant was planned for base but had to be pushed back so the rest of the roster could be finished in time hence why it was released as free DLC for a while yeah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom