• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you feel about Doc?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I don’t know what the general opinion on Doc is, but I personally feel that’s he’s exceptionally well-balanced in this game. I think an argument could even be made for him being better than Mario.

If I had to change something about him, I would buff his weight to solidify his status as a true heavyweight, since it’s clear that’s the archetype that they’re going for with Doc.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
He is much better than he was in SSB4. Down-B's killing potential is insane. Unfortunately his crappy recovery will probably still hold him back.

xxxxThe_GoaTxxxx

Smash Ace
He is much better than he was in SSB4. Down-B's killing potential is insane. Unfortunately his crappy recovery will probably still hold him back.
This.

He's a tank. Hits as hard as a heavy. Pills are better than ever. Tornado is everything I've ever wanted.

But he has the worst recovery in the game. Even worse than Little Mac. It's pathetic and will always hold him back.

He's king of the low tiers, imo.

WeirdJoe27

Smash Ace
NNID
AZBros
This.

He's a tank. Hits as hard as a heavy. Pills are better than ever. Tornado is everything I've ever wanted.

But he has the worst recovery in the game. Even worse than Little Mac. It's pathetic and will always hold him back.

He's king of the low tiers, imo.
You really think his recovery is worse than Incineroar and Chrom?

Felancius

Smash Cadet
With Doc as one of my three mains (yes I do that, the other two being Young Link and Palutena), I feel as if he's basically a character that has to stay on stage no matter what, as he's amazing there, but the moment he gets off stage, then even with Doc Tornado, he's kinda screwed. While the 2.0.0 buff to aerial ledge grabbing in general did help, it's still risky to edgeguard off-stage and meteor smash the opponent with his d-air (a waste since it's actually similar to Ganondorf's now). If you ask me, he's a great character for those who don't like going off stage to finish the opponent, but for those who like to gimp opponents, he should be passed over. This in my book makes him about low-mid of a B-tier, since Doc is still fun, good, and easy to learn, arguably moreso than he was in Melee. However, there are easily better characters for high-level competitive play. But as a whole, Mario and Luigi are still better than Doc.

This is all just my opinion, so I don't expect people to agree with everything, maybe he'll be buffed in later patches?

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
Back in Smash 4, Dr. Mario was easily one of the worst characters. While his high attack power and relatively fast frame data, his weaknesses greatly outweighted his strengths. He was pretty slow overall, and he had a poor recovery that could easily be gimped.

While Dr. Mario isn't going to be high-tier in Ultimate, he's definitely seen an improvement. The game's faster engine in general complements Dr. Mario's fast and powerful attacks. Directional airdodges add another recovery option for him, even if his recovery is still mediocre. Dr. Tornado is a good get-off-me option that deals heavy damage, and it's a lot easier to space with Megavitamins now. While he isn't that good at edgeguarding, forward aerial and Super Jump Punch are still good options for knocking opponents away, and his new down aerial gives him a fast meteor smash that he desperately needed. In general his attacks seem to deal more damage and knockback as well; he now hits about as strong as the heavyweights. The new back throw also adds another KO option, which is stronger (and looks funnier) than his previous one.

Overall, he won't be topping any tier lists but he'll at least be viable in competitive play, which can be said for almost every other character. At least, more viable than he was in Smash 4.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I don't consider Doc to be a viable alternative to Mario as he currently stands. There is just no reason to use Doc when Mario exists.

He just needs better recovery distance. That's all it would take and he would be an equal yet different alternative to his more athletic counterpart. But he doesn't have that, so low tier. Which is a real shame, because I like Doc's moves and aesthetic more, and the fact that he's closer to a heavy.

I really hope they buff his up special like they did Incineroar's. He needs it, badly.

chur

Smash Rookie
i really loved the italian dr. man when ultimate first came out, i personally grew out of him i don't think hes really that good competitive wise ((unless you really learn him)) but i think he can do stuff cool and crazy stuff, i wish he had a better up-b tho

Vincey_Boi

Smash Apprentice
I gotta say that the doc is actually a very good character with players like Lui$ just making the doc so much more known and showing that doc has way more potential than people really think. He does have good combos like down tilt into foward smash is a good mini combo and also his down b and up b out of shield can kill at some good percents.Also did i mention that his down b makes for a good edgeguarding tool and can kill at 50% if you do it just right.

But however the doc has very many downsides. For 1 it is his terrible recovery which holds him back from being any higher on the tier list. Yes, I know that he has his tornado down b but it can be incredibly easy to edgeguard if you mess it up and if you dont have a jump then you are dead with doc's incredibly bad recovery. Another thing I must say about the doc is his down air which now spikes and I gotta say it can start up some combos and it is also a good spikeing tool and it is waaaay better than his down air in smash 4 which back in smash 4 it can easily be shielded barely does like 5% and it's probably one of the worst moves in the game (in my opinion). Also the doc's pills actually can be both good and bad at times. He is a slow character but he can still be pretty fast at times. Overall, I think the doc is a very good character but he such a big weakness with his recovery that it holds him back from being any better.

But with a player like Lui$ showing that doc has much much more combo game and is actually a better character than people think but still 1 player cant make doc go any higher than a mid tier character. Maybe in the future we may see some more doc mains but for now he is a mid tier. I gotta say Doc is actually a really fun character to play as :ultdoc:

Yung Nikey

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW 5399-5236-5207
You really think his recovery is worse than Incineroar and Chrom?
Definitely worse that Incineroars, You just need to know how to utilise Incineroars upB/sideB/2nd jump/airdodge and you should be fine in most cases

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I mean even with someone "fighting back" doc still has a lesser chance of recovering than incineroar
That’s probably not true. Doc has faster air speed and slower falling speed than Incineroar, not to mention an active hitbox on both of his recovery options. Incineroar has more options, but all of the options in the world mean nothing if they’re all bad.

Last edited:

1FC0

Smash Lord
It bothers me that he uses his Super Sheet instead of his diploma. Some people say that he does not even have a diploma! Some even go as far as to say that he is just a plumber wearing a doctor's coat! They should make him use his diploma as his >B just to show those naysayers!

Last edited:

GhostM

Phantom
He’s much better in this game then in Smash 4 in my opinion. Because Ultimate is a faster game, it complements his arsenal of moves as he is now faster. His down smash is much better, fair is still a good kill move, but his up b needs more kill power. He has the kit to be a hard hitting character but even with his down B and directional air dodging, his recovery is still bad. Other than that, his bad recovery is holding him towards low tier. Even though he may still be considered low tier, I will always keep him as a secondary character, a tribute as an ex Dr. Mario main.

The Rhythm Theif

Smash Ace
An Apartment With Stolen Forgery Art In Paris
Switch FC
SW-2028-5151-9144
Dr. Mario has changed from Smash 4. He might be a little bit quicker than his Sm4sh incarnation (he's still kinda slow. Hence, a LITTLE BIT quicker), but he is stronger. Recovery needs to improve a bit, but aside from that, I think Doc is a mid tier fighter in Smash Ultimate. And I'm going to pull something that is called a pro gamer move.

Top Bottom