• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you feel about Brawl? (Poll)

Brawl?

• Yeah! Brawl is SO underrated. Brawl is amazing!! Brawl>Melee

• I enjoyed Brawl, it was a good installment into the Smash franchise

• I never played Brawl...

• I didn't really like Brawl, but it was OK I guess, definitely not my favorite.

• I hate brawl! It was so terrible, I'd rather play Sonic '06!

Results are only viewable after voting.
R

Ruben Samich

How do you feel about Brawl?

Also, if you're wondering why this is in the Wii U/3DS section, it's because I wanted accurate results because almost everyone on this site visits this section, and only people who like Brawl visit the Brawl section.

Last edited by a moderator:

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
I should like it especially since I'm a Marth main. My only issue with it is that controlling my character in Brawl feels a lot more stiff than what I'm used to in smash 4. Oh, and also the sides of the stages cancel out further momentum of your recovery if you touch them while doing so. I like everything else from a competitive stand point including the ATs and so on. Tripping isn't too bad unless you trip in front of your opponent or if your fighting :popo:.

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
  • Well, I like how the pacing is slower than in Melee, which I couldn't get used to there.
  • I'm no competitive player but random tripping is what makes me play Melee and 4 more often over this.
  • I loved that I no longer have to handle container items and can disable them.
  • It was disheartening to know L-canceling is no more, but hitstun canceling I found convenient since I don't have to worry about inputting techs and possibly missing them.

R

Ruben Samich

Someone, or the people who run this site, moved this to the Brawl forum... I put it in Wii U/3DS because I wanted the opinion of everyone, and almost everyone on this site visits the Wii U/3DS section, whereas only people who like Brawl visit the Brawl section. Well, there goes my accurate poll I guess...

EDIT:It's back!

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
@Ruben Samich I would suggest editing your title & opening post if that was your intent. After that if you tag/Private Message a Super Mod/Admin they can move this thread back for you.

MercuryPenny

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MemorialDime
brawl is a very unpolished game. the roster's balance is easily the worst in the series, random tripping is annoying at every level of play (including casual), hitstun cancelling made an already campy and defensive game reward offense even less, the game is full of weird bugs like dacus and yoshi's grab being able to crash the game, chaingrabbing actually makes some characters completely unviable, the list just goes on and on. the development was way too rushed and the singleplayer modes are just straight-up inferior to melee's.

i suppose it's got some decent points, like some of the items being fun and introducing a lot of ideas smash 4 would expand upon, but competitively it's surpassed by both its predecessor and its successor and casually melee's singleplayer is better, melee's items are better, smash 4 has better cpu ai, and both melee and smash 4 have more polished physics. it's an ok game on its own merits despite its lack of polish but is utterly outshined by the other games.

R

Ruben Samich

Honestly, people make a big deal about tripping imo. It only happens when you're turning or dash dancing, AND there's only a 1% chance that it will happen. Although it is annoying when it does happen, people act like it ruins the entire game.

Xandra

Smash Cadet
NNID
xandrasmash
I liked Brawl - it was my first ever Smash game and it's what got me into playing fighting games competitively in the first place. Back then I didn't care about anything technical though so, I can't say whether or not the game's actually good in that sense, but it'll always hold a special place in my gaming heart.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Brawl was a good game despite how slowing everything down and making fox's back air delayed completely destroyed my fox after several years of playing brawl, I can't play as him anymore :( on any smash bros game. Despite that it opened me up to playing as different characters and showed me that I enjoy playing as characters that I barely gave a chance to before like Yoshi, Samus, Ganondorf and Bowser. Plus there are a few characters that didn't make sm4sh that I still boot up my wii to play every once in a while *cough* snake *cough* ivysaur *cough* squirtle *cough* and there's also Diddy's 2 banana peels.

R

Ruben Samich

I thought I was the only one who liked Pokémon trainer! I'm really good with Squirtle. My only problem with Brawl is that they destroyed Samus.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Brawl is my personal favorite Smash game. The game is pretty stiff when you compare it to Smash 4, but the single player content is so much better, as is the roster. Also it had Wolf.
I thought I was the only one who liked Pokémon trainer! I'm really good with Squirtle. My only problem with Brawl is that they destroyed Samus.
Brawl Samus is in some ways better than Smash 4 Samus.

FamilyTeam

This strength serves more than me alone.
NNID
MontanaCity
I don't like Brawl very much after playing Smash 4.
It's a better single player game thanks to the fact that it's got Classic and All-Star modes that don't make you wonder wish you were doing anything else with your free time. SSE is incredibly overrated and if it were in Smash 4 just to be handled like Brawl's SSE was handled, I'd rather stick with not having it. SSE plays like a plotless 7 hour long chore.
But when it comes to PvP, I don't like a lot of things about it. I don't like how hitstun is handled, I hate the floatyness and the slow pace, the balance is frankly disgusting and the nerf to old Melee favourites to the extent they were nerfed was uncalled for.
At least casual PvP is better since it has far less terrible items than Smash 4.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
I've always enjoyed any recently released Smash game.

I remember when I first got Brawl I couldn't believe how different it felt after years of playing Melee at the time. It was slower and such much more floaty; however that didn't bother me at all since I didn't really get into the competitive side of things till Sm4sh.

I loved SSE a lot as it expanded on Melees adventure mode, plus it appealed to my 100% completionist mentality.

Speaking of which I loved that they added achievements to it as well. It gave you so much to do and even introduced Stage Builder, yet another thing that really kept me occupied and added to the fun with friends due to how crazy you could make stages sometimes. All in all it was definitely a really good game from a causal standpoint but not so much on the competitive side.

Tripping was definitely annoying and even though I wasn't into the competitive scene at the time, looking back on it now I can see why so many competitive players gave it a lot of hate. In fact, the fact that it was a bit rushed definitely shows a lot more now.

One thing I disliked about it (aside from tripping) was Target Test was no longer character specific.

In the end, I wouldn't say it's my favorite and I may not end up playing it again casually or competitively; however it did keep me very occupied at the time just like Melee did before that. It was definitely an enjoyable game in my causal years that's for sure.

R

Ruben Samich

KirbCider KirbCider I also really like Brawl because I like playing it with my friends and I was also not competitive until Sm4sh. I honestly don't think tripping was that bad. Obviously I don't particularly like it, but people make a HUGE deal about it. I can't compare it to melee because I never had a Gamecube and neither did my friends. I had an N64 and then I got a Wii.

I don't like Brawl very much after playing Smash 4.
It's a better single player game thanks to the fact that it's got Classic and All-Star modes that don't make you wonder wish you were doing anything else with your free time. SSE is incredibly overrated and if it were in Smash 4 just to be handled like Brawl's SSE was handled, I'd rather stick with not having it. SSE plays like a plotless 7 hour long chore.
But when it comes to PvP, I don't like a lot of things about it. I don't like how hitstun is handled, I hate the floatyness and the slow pace, the balance is frankly disgusting and the nerf to old Melee favourites to the extent they were nerfed was uncalled for.
At least casual PvP is better since it has far less terrible items than Smash 4.

I might just like Brawl a lot because I can't accurately compare it to melee. I was never a melee kid. I played Smash 64, and then many years later, I got a Wii and I also got Brawl. So the only thing I could compare it to was Smash 64, and just the graphics and new controllers and new characters blew me away, so I didn't really think about gameplay because I wasn't competitive at all. Playing it now, I still really enjoy it, but I can definitely notice the problems people talk about. The only thing that really makes me enjoy it is nostalgia I guess...

SmashWithoutSympathy14

Smash Rookie
I started playing Smash when a Nintendo "ambassador" (don't know what else to call her) came to my local library and set up Smash for Wii U for a program they were having there. I was instantly hooked when I started playing. She came a few times during the year until someone stole one of her games.
Then my library got a Wii and I started to play a copy of Brawl that they had. I got to play with it much more often than Sm4sh, and after small tournaments were set up there I started to really love it. I researched everything from tier lists to teching, and played it rather well for a casual (in the library, I'm considered the 4th best Brawl player).

Then someone broke the Wii, and I have not played for about a year and a half now.

I have only played Melee a handful of times and while I liked it, I wasn't competetive enough to rank it higher than Brawl. Plus, Melee doesn't have Ike :)

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Please be careful not to double post.

Brawl's okay. I find myself going back to it more than other games in the series. Subspace can be a chore, but I can appreciate it for what it was. I'd certainly go back to it more than any most other single player modes in fighting games. I'm amazed that the Brawl Main Theme was left out of Smash 4.

Captain Phobos

Smash Apprentice
My first Smash game was Brawl, so I may be looking at it through rose tinted glasses. Brawl certainly isn't a game suited for competitive play, but it's a good game to start learning the fundamentals of Smash with/

JagerCrush

Smash Cadet
Brawl gets a lot of hate for what it isn't. Random tripping cannot be understated how terrible it is. It ruins matches at all skill levels. Being able to just air dodge to save yourself from flying off stage wasn't great. Subspace is by far the best single player experience any smash game has had but smash for most people is about the multiplayer.
People who are too young or simply didn't play Melee when it was first around typically enjoy Brawl. People that go directly from Melee to Brawl hated it.
If Melee had never existed Brawl would probably have been viewed with much more positive feedback. But IMHO even at a casual level Melee is more fun than Brawl and it's better balanced. Brawl offers more characters and levels but it's hard to enjoy Brawl when I enjoy smash 64, melee, PM, brawl minus all more than vanilla Brawl. It prob gets more hate than it genuinely deserves but at the same time it's still the worst smash game. It's the Metroid: Other M of Smash games. Okay if it was the only game of its series but awful bc it is the worst game of a great series.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
KirbCider KirbCider I also really like Brawl because I like playing it with my friends and I was also not competitive until Sm4sh. I honestly don't think tripping was that bad. Obviously I don't particularly like it, but people make a HUGE deal about it. I can't compare it to melee because I never had a Gamecube and neither did my friends. I had an N64 and then I got a Wii.
People made a huge deal about it because, just like JagerCrush JagerCrush stated, it ruined matches.

In a competitive standpoint all it'd take is that slight chance of tripping to ruin a great combo you had going or even worse, allow your opponent to KO you when you had the match in the bag. That little mechanic could drastically change a match easily.

There were obviously other things too that ruined it competitively as well, but tripping was a mechanic no one asked for.

KirbCider KirbCider I might just like Brawl a lot because I can't accurately compare it to melee. I was never a melee kid. I played Smash 64, and then many years later, I got a Wii and I also got Brawl. So the only thing I could compare it to was Smash 64, and just the graphics and new controllers and new characters blew me away, so I didn't really think about gameplay because I wasn't competitive at all. Playing it now, I still really enjoy it, but I can definitely notice the problems people talk about. The only thing that really makes me enjoy it is nostalgia I guess...
Like I mentioned in my previous post there were certainly so many things that made Brawl feel so different to Melee.

However I never considered that a bad thing. Every Smash game should feel like an entirely new experience. There's gonna be a lot of things that we may not ask for or even wanted in the first place, and there's going to be cuts and balances we won't agree with. In the end though, I'd much rather have a game set itself apart from the previous installment than be exactly the same as the last.

While I do agree with Brawl being the worst in the series they at least tried different things.

Perhaps it's because I'm not too picky and am always happy to get a new Smash game no matter what as it's my all time favorite game series, no questions asked. Maybe it was because I wasn't competitive until Sm4sh and maybe if I was competitive during Melee and Brawl my opinions would be vastly different than they are now. They at least made an attempt with Brawl.

I'm just glad we got another Smash game after Melee, and without Brawl Sm4sh may not have been as good is it is.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I honestly enjoyed Brawl. However, I'm one who preferred random tripping to forced tripping. Random tripping almost always saves my butt because it gives me a chance to roll away/use a getup attack. I'm never in a bad position because I can work with the RNG pretty well. Forced tripping is far harder to read in the long run and also always puts me at a disadvantage. IMO, I want both tripping gone from later Smash games. If Random tripping is severely rare, I'm fine with that. Like it could only happen to someone who dash dances without getting hit for over 20 seconds. That's not fun at that point. Playing nothing but keep away halts the matches.

I do like a lot of the control, but I wish the quality was better. I mean, single player is mostly fun(bar the lack of mini-games overall), and I feel like there's a lot to do that isn't severely unbalanced. Classic is tedious due to, again, the lack of mini-games. Everything is a fight and there's well over 13 battles. And two Target Tests that are generic get boring fast. SSE was amazing, though. Of course, it does have some downsides; The gravity is overly high for no reason, making it poor for a Smash platforming adventure mode. Easy deaths for no good reason. The damage sponge bosses are pretty annoying, and getting Trophies by a lucky Trophy stand showing up isn't all that fun. The fact you can sometimes barely get one is even more annoying. If I remember right, you couldn't even get their Trophy during a boss battle. They could've resolved this by having it so you got a random Boss Trophy for beating Boss Battles. Or at least a major NPC trophy from the SSE in general. Better incentive than a score alone.

Speaking of, Trophies are too hard to get in Brawl. They're overly difficult during Matches to randomly find, the Coin Launcher is fairly boring and has too many Stickers show up. The single player modes are way too long to justify going through them over and over to get a new one, and you can't even pause to make sure you'll see a new one(the first Trophy you can get). This is bad. Stickers are fine, bar the "one-time use" ones. Any sticker behind a lock should be able to be grabbed randomly, but only after unlocking it. I may be wrong, but from what I understand, you get one shot at it. This isn't a problem for Trophies, but Stickers do matter.

As for mini-games, where is everything but Target Smash, Home Run Contest, and Coin Launcher? Where's Race to the Finish? Grab The Trophies? A remake of Board the Platforms? Anything during Classic that isn't Target Smash? Hell, even something like destroying the car in Street Fighter would've been nice. The variety is lacking.

I don't need to into the atrocious character balance. Nor the fact we had to make unique rules for one character. It'll start a long pointless argument etc. We know the game's balance was bad for competitive play. Enough said.

Finally, and this is more a personal issue I have, they way over-used remixes of the main theme, which kind of weakens how good it is. If you hear the same thing over and over and over and over, it loses its impact. The main theme is a great piece of work. But why can't we get something a bit different from the various areas? You could remake other Smash only themes or get permission to make remixes of other works. Being the locations in the SSE are loosely adapted from actual Nintendo locations, just use similar music. Minecraft level is totally a DKC thing. And so on.

R

Ruben Samich

Finally, and this is more a personal issue I have, they way over-used remixes of the main theme, which kind of weakens how good it is. If you hear the same thing over and over and over and over, it loses its impact. The main theme is a great piece of work. But why can't we get something a bit different from the various areas? You could remake other Smash only themes or get permission to make remixes of other works. Being the locations in the SSE are loosely adapted from actual Nintendo locations, just use similar music. Minecraft level is totally a DKC thing. And so on.
Huh, I always liked all the remixes of the main theme. I never actually considered that that could be seen as a problem. Although, really, now that I think about it, they did use it a whole lot. You have to admit though, the Final Destination song was really good.

LucinaNab1

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SSB311007Bond
Good old memories with Brawl. Snake, Wolf, great stage creator, SSE... and "Power Up Music" on most of my created stages lol

Bob

Banned via Warnings
People will hate me for this, but I think Brawl's a better competitive game than Smash 4. Smash 4 feels like it's trying to play the threshold between casual and competitive, but the result is a game that fails on both fronts.

There were actually more true combos in Brawl than there are in Sm4sh. This is due to the fact that many moves have either been given the Melee Knockback (0 BKB/100 KBG), or the new, Sm4sh Knockback (100 BKB, X KBG), and when combined with the universally slower animations (which were slowed in an attempt to make the game appear more "dramatic"), it creates a situation where only 2-piece combos are possible (if even that), and most "combos" are simply tricky frame traps. In addition, all standard attacks have been significantly nerfed in damage, while Smash Attacks have been significantly buffed (in both power and speed), which promotes a campy, spam-based playstyle. The gameplay also feels more restrictive; due to the emphasis on dramatic gameplay, the camera has been moved to such close proximity that one often can't even see the whole stage, this claustrophilic camera, added with the stiffer (and possibly slower?) air speeds (Maximum H Air Velocity), and combined with the higher (yet insufficiently so for competitive gameplay) gravity values creates a feeling of Smash 4 being more of a "stiff Brawl" or "faux Brawl" than a unique, genuine product.

Also, I'd honestly take Bretaknight, over Bayonetta. Regarding them, even if Metaknight is hypothetically better (at top-level gameplay), Bayonetta is better at low-mid gameplay, while still being the best top-level character relative to her respective Smash game. A casual MKnight will get destroyed by an experienced player, but anyone can pick up Bayonetta and get results.

Metaknight will always win the neutral. If Bayonetta wins the neutral, she will always win the game.

Two characters who are equally as bad, but in different ways. People say not to compare them, but Bayonetta's 0-deaths are much more reliable than Mknight as her opponents don't have broken DI/SDI to help them escape. You rarely (if ever) see Metaknights 0-death people at top-play, however Salem 0-death'd ZeRo multiple times as his Bayonetta. Does this make Salem bad? No; he's simply playing to win, and Bayonetta is the means to that.

Digression aside, besides from ICs, and possibly Snake/Metaknight, Brawl was relatively balanced. Yes, Diddy Kong and Dedede (as well as a few others) had infinites, but the matchups never felt hopeless.

Another problem with Smash 4 is that there are no viable AT's. This also means that the skill gap is much smaller, and the skill cap much lower. A character is only viable to the extent that their default kit allows them to be. This means that if Mewtwo is cumulatively worse than Falcon, for example, his inferiority is static. In Brawl, Dedede wasn't that viable alone, however his infinite helped make him a notable threat, same with Falco, a character who, off his own kit, was subpar, but with chaingrabs and DACUS, became a contender.

Smash 4's Hitstun is another example of it playing the line; In addition to it being slightly lower than Brawl's (which is equal to Melee's), it also retains it's cancel-properties, which are now KB-Dependent. This means that Hitstun-Cancelling never left upon the transition from Brawl to 4, it merely changed. This often leads to situations where characters are stunned for short enough periods to allow interruption, but not long enough to have feasible chances of escaping, which is responsible for all of the Frame-Traps and resets in Sm4sh, which is honestly worse than Complete/Absent hitstun. The illusion of hope is far worse than it's presence or absence.

The Final thing (for now) is another massive problem Smash 4 did, which is called Neglectful Balancing. This is where developers immediately nerf characters perceived to be overpowered from prior iterations, while gradually buffing the surrounding cast to accommodate a threat which no longer exists. This can be clearly seen with characters like Olimar and Game&Watch; two characters that were butchered--compared to Mario, Sonic, and Charizard, for example, who were "significantly buffed". Considering the state of the roster, Brawl&Watch and Brawlimar would've likely been balanced inclusions to the roster, but now they are but joke characters who nadie plays. I'm also rather upset that they Standardized Mewtwo. He feels to basic in this game.

So how do I feel about Brawl? I feel that Brawl was a decent game. Certainly not better than Melee (competitively speaking), but it's definitely better (collectively) than the other iterations for varying reasons. Casually speaking, Brawl was the best game, slightly surpassing even Melee. Artistically speaking, it is apparent, when analyzed, that Sakurai still cared about the franchise during this point; Brawl was a very personal and intimate game. Smash 4, however, feels like it was made by Nintendo (a company) rather than an actual human being. It feels like a "product" instead of a "project".

And regarding potential; Brawl has the most potential out of all of the Smash Bros. games. A combination of hackability and internal accessibility allows Brawl endless hacking possibility to be anything that one desires it to be. Brawl is the core of Smash; having a unique identity, while simultaneous being able to assume the properties of it's counterparts. Whether it be 64, Melee, or Wii U/3DS, with enough time and knowledge, Brawl can become those very games, and expound on them in such a way that they themselves cannot do alone. Brawl is a masterpiece inhibited by the contempt of it's creators, but through hacking, the light, which has for so long been concealed, can finally shine, as intended.

Last edited:

Foxy Alopex

Smash Ace
NNID
Foxy_Alopex
I really liked it for a few reasons, the SSE was fun the only time we can see the characters interacting with each other, the music was grand and it had one of my most favorite villain/anti-hero Wolf, still sad that he didn't return in Smash 4. Also why did they change Peach's slap attack in Smash 4? Her slap attack in Brawl was very powerful I mean I could keep someone trapped in a corner with her standard slap attack. It now feels like they toned it down in Smash 4. I also like Fox's shine float in Brawl it was fun staying in the air avoiding everyone and stuff, now I can't do that in Smash 4. So in conclusion Brawl is my favorite game in the smash bros series because I had the most fun with it.

SaltySpud

Smash Rookie
It was my first Smash Bro's game playing, so it's special to me. Ice Climbers and Snake were incredibly fun to play as, not to mention Squirtle and Ivysaur. It would be really fun to visit the game again since I've gotten better.

D

Deleted member

To be honest, this is my least favorite of the series solely because of random tripping. Y'all know the saying, "Walk, don't run"? Well, that's what I do here so there's no way I can trip. But I loved the create-a-stage nuance, collecting stickers, and playing around with the new items. I even played through the Subspace Emissary once. It was pretty good.

But, ever since I picked up Smash 4 (Wii U version, specifically) Brawl's been getting less attention from me but I haven't completely ignored it, so...

Heracr055

Smash Ace
I enjoyed Brawl quite a bit. I think the roster size was just right. I might have a controversial opinion on this, but I think the character movesets are built better in the first 3 games than in Smash 4; I imagine with so many characters, they couldn't dedicate too much time and thought into each character. That's an argument for another time, though.
I enjoyed that Wolf was in this game, my main before I switched to Sheik. I also liked Pokemon Trainer being in this installment.
I actually liked the slower pace and lower gravity compared to Melee.
And there's the obligatory mention to SSE.
This makes me want to dig out my copy of Brawl...

Last edited:

Skwrl

Smash Cadet
And there's the obligatory mention to SSE.
This makes me want to dig out my copy of Brawl...
I was playing SSE this morning
for the first time
and really enjoying it. Makes me wish for something like this in Smash 4.

Last edited:

Bob

Banned via Warnings
I enjoyed Brawl quite a bit. I think the roster size was just right. I might have a controversial opinion on this, but I think the character movesets are built better in the first 3 games than in Smash 4; I imagine with so many characters, they couldn't dedicate too much time and thought into each character. That's an argument for another time, though.
Tell me more...

LeWaddleDee

Smash Rookie
NNID
KoolKangaskhan
I feel like Brawl gets dismissed due to things like tripping or how broken Meta Knight was (which was bad, not saying these weren't pretty bad aspects), but honestly everything else in the game is pretty damn solid.

The addition of several new characters, and Snake and Sonic, two third-party characters which was pretty amazing at the time, and it's similar to the hype people got over Mega Man and Pac-man being in Sm4sh. Additionally, the vast amount of music in the game, the Subspace Emissary (even though the great maze is... not that fun), and all of the collectibles that they added (the feeling of snatching a CD is awesome) make the game very good overall in my opinion.

Now, I definitely wouldn't say Brawl is the ideal smash for a competitive environment, but in terms of a casual game, Brawl has everything a casual smash player would want in it. And while I personally would prefer to play Sm4sh or Melee for a competitive and casual game, I definitely can't say that I hated Braw and I'd still call it a quality game.

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I played Smash64 and Melee prior to Brawl.
I remember, at the time, I loved how floaty everyone was in Brawl because it allowed players to dive deep off the stage and chase each other in the air, traits that I still love in Smash 4. The stages had much, much bigger blast zones than in Melee, encouraging players to jump off the side without much fear. I never liked how, in Melee, you could jump off the side doing an aerial attack and be dead from the bottom blastzone before the animation even finished. There just wasn't enough space beneath the stages in Melee for my liking.
Anyway, since Smash4 came out, I feel no desire to play Brawl anymore, whereas I still go back and play Smash64/Melee from time to time. Now my Brawl disc is just used to play Project M.

OldHickory

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3007-9257-4809
Well, I enjoyed Snake.
Lots of fun, and something unique to the series a the time.

Sorta got me into "weirdo zoner" characters, so I have to give it that.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I like and enjoy it but I doubt I would revisit it at a competitive setting.

The later years of the game got draining to me with MK and ICs being unfun to play against.

Amberloo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sashaloo
3DS FC
1203-9998-9799
Brawl was kind of crazy for me. Growing up, I didn't have a Gamecube, so even though I'd sometimes get the chance to play Melee with friends (and that was more uncommon), I mostly played Smash on my N64. Honestly, if Brawl didn't have some of the poorer things about it- like tripping- I'd probably prefer to play it over Smash 4. (Which to be fair I only play out of the convenience of having it on my 3DS) I am into the competitive aspects of Smash, but also I'm huge into single player stuff. When Brawl came out, I sunk so much time into the SSE and stage builder, loved the boss rush mode, and classic hadn't been turned into the terrible thing it is in the Wii U version. It had an impressive roster, great stages, and the visuals were top notch. (Y'all ever looked at Melee Yoshi vs Brawl Yoshi? It's a world of difference.) It was also just easier to play as a party game instead of a competitive one- when I play Smash 4 with my roommates, it's purely competitive; but back in the Brawl days, all of my friends and I were just into goofing off with whoever we liked. It came out at a time when I finally had consistent friend circles and we didn't care about tiers or stage hazards, and items didn't have to be turned off. So yeah, while I do get some of people's complaints about it, for me, Brawl was a major entry for me. I was stoked for Smash 4 but only because of how much Brawl made me really love the series.

tl;dr Don't look at Brawl from a competitive perspective, look at it for everything else it did

TheBlossomingLily

Stitchface King
NNID
BlossomingLily
3DS FC
1736-0702-8981
Brawl had, undeniably, a lot of competitive flaws.

But good lord did I have the most fun casual Free For Alls in my life from that game compared to any other Smash. Playing casual matches with friends along with items on and embracing the silliness of that game is definitely the way to go~

Last edited:

Ryuphoton

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ryuphoton
3DS FC
2552-4567-9907
I dunno... Brawl definitely wasn't a bad game, but something didn't feel quite right, at least to me. Create-a-stage was fun albeit limited and the new characters spiced things up quite a bit.

Top Bottom