• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do YOU deal with King DeDeDe?

KIRBY MAIN

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, so I’ll just get right into it. So one of my friends plays a MEAN King DeDeDe, and wins practically every single match he plays with him. Personally, I think In many ways King DeDeDe often feels somewhat “overpowered”. His smash attacks sport ridiculous armor, have tremendous reach, and often have the ability to hit me even when directly behind DeDeDe. So far, the only character I can beat him with is MegaMan, mainly due to his own high range smash attack. And just so you know, I don’t ACTUALLY think DeDeDe is overpowered, I just think my friend plays very well to his strengths and was just wondering how you guys may handle those kind of strengths? I’m mainly asking because I often play with many different characters in the game (Random is Love. Random is Life.) And was just wondering how I should approach those strengths with different characters....

viras

Smash Rookie
well one, work around him and condition him with projectiles and zone him out until you can eventually combo em. Always hit gordos back to him and don't try to recover high if you don't wanna get hit by fsmash

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Dedede is the slowest character in the game--bait and punish. Don't rely on smash attacks, wear him down with fast and safe combos.

Heavies rely a LOT on prediction. Pay attention to your habits. If you react to the same situation the same way twice in a row (rolling up from a ledge, dash attacking, etc.), change that behavior. If Dedede is landing smash attacks on you, you're being predictable.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
None of Dedede's smash attacks have super armor. That's a lie.

Anyway, DDD is super slow. Bait and punish, Juggle him. Fighters like Inkling, Pichu, Cloud, etc. combo him very easily. If your friend spams Gordos, counter with another fighter who uses reliable projectiles. If he spams smash attacks, choose a fighter with easy punishes like Wolf or the Belmonts to counterplay that.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
None of Dedede's smash attacks have super armor.
That was going to be my first response as well, but then I remembered: doesn't he get super armor during his swing animations? Not while charging the attack, but during the execution.

Goddamn_Angela

Smash Cadet
Swordies yo.

Also Palutena and Pichu.

Also Isabelle sometimes.

And Wiifit...

Hmm. I guess its more exploiting his low speed and frames and countering/reacting when he whiffs. Also Air combat.

Last edited:

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
I'm assuming this is a joke post, because Dedede is pretty terrible in this game. Pretty much every single move of his can be punished because they're all so slow. Speaking of Slow, Dedede has one of the slowest runs and THE slowest air speed. Mobility is something you absolutely want in this game, and he has none. His only ranged move, Gordo, can be reflected by literally every move, making it pretty much useless as a projectile. Also, that comment you made about him having armor on his smashes is completely wrong. The only move of his that has armor is the swing of his down B, which has like 3 frames of very weak heavy armor.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
That was going to be my first response as well, but then I remembered: doesn't he get super armor during his swing animations? Not while charging the attack, but during the execution.
No
But he does have armor on the swing in Jet Hammer, if that's what you were referring to.

Uffe

Smash Hero
  1. When he throws out Gordo, expect a possible Inhale. Some attacks and aerials can counter Gordo. Learn which ones work and which don't.
  2. If he Inhales while on the ground, you can use an aerial attack to punish him, as he'll be forcing you towards him and he's left open. If you do get caught, he'll most likely aim you offstage. Don't DI towards him because he's probably looking for an f-smash or aerial he can use against you. You can also sometimes jump over his Inhale and strike him with a dair.
  3. If he's flying around above you, look out for nair/dair/Gordo. You can chase him in the air, but I tend not to do this, even though I could just use uair to hit him.
  4. If he constantly dodges when you're close, start going for multi-hit attacks like jab, or a delayed attack that will hit him. Maybe even Kirby's Inhale would be a good option since it's an on-going windbox or whatever.
  5. I suspect Kirby actually has some combos in this game, and against a heavy character like King Dedede, this should be easy damage against him if you manage to land a grab or attack that leads into another.

Last edited:

Rhus

We're going top speed!
I'm assuming this is a joke post, because Dedede is pretty terrible in this game. Pretty much every single move of his can be punished because they're all so slow. Speaking of Slow, Dedede has one of the slowest runs and THE slowest air speed. Mobility is something you absolutely want in this game, and he has none. His only ranged move, Gordo, can be reflected by literally every move, making it pretty much useless as a projectile. Also, that comment you made about him having armor on his smashes is completely wrong. The only move of his that has armor is the swing of his down B, which has like 3 frames of very weak heavy armor.
A lot of this is very incorrect. While Dedede is definitely sluggish, it doesn't immediately discredit him on that factor alone.

Dedede is pretty solid in this game - he has arguably the best longevity, giant hitboxes, some throw combos, kills very early, and one of the best space controlling projectiles in the game.

To say that Dedede's gordo is useless means you either haven't watched a good one play, played against a competent one, or both. Gordos are not terribly easy to reflect given Dedede's control over the trajectory, ability to inhale them when they are hit back at him, and the fact that his sideB regrabs gordos VERY quickly. A Dedede at ledge bouncing a gordo and reading your get up option is unbelievably oppressive. Factor that together with Dedede's low skill curve means a lot of his buttons are insanely good at stuffing options.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
100% of people reported that they find King Dedede attractive [citation needed], so I guess it's impossible to defeat him.

Mister.Kim1

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-2558-6837-3970
The greatest nightmare for King Dedede is the character that can reflect projectiles. If your main can't reflect, then hit it so it sends back to him. Avoid charging smash attacks or any move that makes you stay still since his Up Special can really put you in a hot water. Punish his smash attacks either by using counter (high risk, high reward) or ending lag (low risk, low reward).

Above all, have morale when you are fighting. You may not win all the time just because you have confidence, but you will always lose if you don't have one.

Top Bottom