• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do YOU deal with jigglypuff?

Beat!

Smash Master
He was being sarcastic. Armada is not only the best Peach player in the world, but also the best player period, so he thought saying "I feel" was a bit redundant.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Ganon strat is legit up to the point where the Puff realizes that Ganon is even more limited than she is.

Ganon is also combo food :/

I think DoH's on the right track with 'stay close to the ground' but I don't think dash attack and f-smash are the moves of choice in the MU.

I think sticking to Puff might have some viability. If you're close to her, your moves can win by out-timing Puff's (speed ftw) but actually sticking to her is really hard... blasted aerial mobility.

Armada

Smash Lord
Y link :p

No but on a serious note I don't know. Don't play against her often enough to really have the chance to try new stuff. But I guess the ground game people have talked about in this thread can be more important.

Cause beating her in the air is not working :p

I think DoH's on the right track with 'stay close to the ground' but I don't think dash attack and f-smash are the moves of choice in the MU.
He is on the right track. All of Jigglypuff's moves are so crouch cancelable

Dash attack God-sent in this matchup. It's her best move to get past her walls of pain. It gets past her air mobility so well

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Crouch cancels a spaced bair > .......?

What can we do to punish that? Downsmash is worthless in this MU, and if Puff just bairs with decent spacing....

In addition, she can just empty hop grab us if we're cc'ing too much. I feel like delicate shield spacing is better, but I never get to test this. Thoughts?

I think taking a hit crouch canceled is better than trying to dodge it and getting hit non crouch canceled. Choose better poisons. (I haven't played a Jigglypuff in forever, so my knowledge might be a bit faded)

Jigglypuff empty hop grab counts Peach crouch canceling? I'll need to see this myself

DoH

meleeitonme.tumblr.com
Your only moves are bair, turnip, nair, and fsmash. Only down smash on shields and uair if you can. Dash attack when she's in the air, she can rest you on the ground. It's just a patience battle. Fair only if you can get above her enough to avoid bair while coming down.

I feel the way HBox plays really hard counter's Armada's otherwise effective style; Armada likes to try and outfair everything and do stuff out of sheild, and Hbox's style just baits that. I wish I had some matches with hbox recorded so y'all could see how I play it.

Wake

Smash Master
I really would like to see those matches DoH, ugh. I'm gonna try some of that out next time I play against a Puff, which probably won't be for a long time since nobody uses her. :/

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
He is on the right track. All of Jigglypuff's moves are so crouch cancelable

Dash attack God-sent in this matchup. It's her best move to get past her walls of pain. It gets past her air mobility so well
I prefer block > WD OOS but CCing a bair to prevent it from launching is pretty good and a good way to avoid being bair chained.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I think taking a hit crouch canceled is better than trying to dodge it and getting hit non crouch canceled. Choose better poisons. (I haven't played a Jigglypuff in forever, so my knowledge might be a bit faded)

Jigglypuff empty hop grab counts Peach crouch canceling? I'll need to see this myself
Puff can just alternate between well spaced bairs when we're crouching/not shielding, and empty hop grabs when we're crouching/shielding. Empty hop grabs work really well vs us because we want to shield the bair, then work out of shield. We normally react to the hit on the shield, giving them ample time to grab us. The thing that makes Puff's empty hop extremely threatening is the threat of her super strong aerial game forcing us to shield. And if we don't, we get baired...

I feel like CC > fsmash beats spaced bairs. Can we CC > grab them, too? (if they're approaching, not retreating, though I don't know what we'd get from a grab)

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
CC f-smash is too slow I'm pretty sure. I think she can just position around the grab or outrange it, even if she is approaching.

Vwins

Smash Ace
mmm so i guess im decent at the jigs match up and i dont agree when people are talking about trying to stay on the ground because you wont ever approach a jigs that space back air into your shield when your on the ground because peach lack mobility on the ground. So, first of all, you have to be patient and play conservative like most peach match ups. Wavedash backwards OOS or roll away when you are being pressure dont try to nair out of shield unless she miss her aerial spacing because you'll just get bair again lol just get away and take back your defensive position. And also dont approach jigs when she is in a good position to do her wall of back air. What I mean by that is when she is near enough from you to reach you with a full jump drop bair that **** will just hit you while you try to do anything to approach her. You should play defensively with FC fair and wave dash back until you know its safe to approach. I find one of the best way to approach jigs is to use double jump FC fair and double jump back air so you can be slightly above her where the back air doesnt hit you. I think the back air is pretty underated against jigs, when you double jump FC back air or just full jump bair while approching her, you can beat jigs Bair if you catch her between the lag of her second jump back air and if she just drop bair you'll hit her.

Other tips
- aerial into her shield to downsmash always good most of the time will poke her shield
- You should mix up your approach with turnip to FC fair and nair. dont only use double jump FC fair-bair lol
- use nair after a FC fair or nair sometime to catch her offguard.
- run to full jump nair can be good sometime to catch her jump before she starts spamming bair but only do it occasionaly because if you miss you'll get punish easy.

but yeah in general its a gay and long match up so be patient and dont get rest :p lol

Here's one of my good match against Vanz's jigs 1 and a half year ago. I know that Vanz was not playing his best but it shows how you can dominate a jigs sometime :)
Jigs match start at 4:57 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAb4iNVxV2M skip that boring peach ditto ;p and i lost that set btw gg Vanz lol my jigs match up is probably better than my peach ditto :p except maybe against hungrybox lol. Its been years since I played him tho but I'm sure It would still be really gay to play against his puff :(

Oh and btw i learned alot of that stuff watching armada. I wish you could play hungrybox with peach again. I think you were good at it but I guess when you travel from europe you must do what must be done to win that money :D

sry for the long post lol but I guess its ok since I only post like once every 6 months :p

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I'm starting to believe in spacing double jump aerials against Puff. Especially bair.

Maybe

Smash Cadet
I luckily haven't had the MU w/ Puff yet in my 2 weeks of picking up Peach. I have played a lot of Marths though....and it's quite frustrating unless I really focus and predict techs well because my Peach isn't very fast yet.

Any tips on Peach vs Marth?

kalamazhu

Smash Journeyman
I luckily haven't had the MU w/ Puff yet in my 2 weeks of picking up Peach. I have played a lot of Marths though....and it's quite frustrating unless I really focus and predict techs well because my Peach isn't very fast yet.

Any tips on Peach vs Marth?
use turnips to aproach

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Defense vs Marth:

DI all his throws to avoid the otherwise guaranteed kill setups. This buffs your shield and lets you spam it more, especially at high percents. This will frustrate most Marth players and encourage them to throw unsafe moves all over the place. If you catch one on your shield, or simply evade one like a pro with pro movement, you can probably get a free hit. This is one of the big factors in how you're gonna beat a lot of Marth players.

Try to recover high and trick him - if he's waiting for an air-dodge then nair him, and vice versa (sometimes umbrella and other options can be good too).

On the edge you're screwed if they're good and you're probably gonna get hit - see if you can slip by anyway (ledgejump, DJ > baby WL, DJ > airdodge, roll [if they commit badly], attack [if they commit badly] - whatever it takes to get on). Try to get hit across the stage by anything but a tipped smash attack or something so you can recover or get height to work with. If you can evade him completely then awesome but if it doesn't seem like you can, just try to build height or get hit across or force him to grab you or something.

Offense vs Marth:

Vegetables are pretty good. Just don't do them if he's trying to bait you into doing them to fish for a KO (this is where you just kind of HAVE to play footsie with him unless he messes up and gives you more space than he needs to and / or commits to something really stupidly that isn't a threat and therefore gives you free vegetable).

Vegetables are mostly good for cutting into his movement. From there, you decide whether it's in your best interest to switch to using a more aggressive play with FC aerial, grab, dash attack, etc. or pull more vegetables and try to take up more space.

You like it when Marth is holding the ledge so try to put him there. He, like Peach, is not particularly good at getting up from the edge.

Learn how to edgeguard his low recovery with dairs, bairs, and even fairs. Throw vegetables at it. Be prepared to freestyle jank with b-throw and such. Just keep him at the edge. You want him there. Him being there makes you happy.

If you can make him fall on your soft dash attack at medium-high percent when he lacks a DJ then you can do silly things after it.

Dair is good at shield poking and combos into things. D-smash shield pierces a lot. Double jab often combos to dash attack (or other things) at mid percents.

You're gonna beat Marth mostly by denying him kills and counterattacking on his unsafe KO swings, and by forcing him to the edge and then hitting him off a bunch of times.

rje457

Smash Cadet
Personally asked advice from Armada with the Marth match-up: "Throw a lot of turnips, but make sure there grounded and space well positioned float canceled bairs."

DJCrinkleCut

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DJCrinkleCut
I have a pocket Sheik and Ganon, and even those matchups kinda suck.
Better than playing Peach against Puff though, that just ends with me questioning my life decisions up to that point.

Dominus Felis

Smash Apprentice
who do you think is? :O
He was being sarcastic and I am VERY good at this matchup. I rarely play it but I play both characters and I know it forward and backward literally. The most annoying thing you can do to a puff is shield a rest, with any character. If you shield, puff can't approach anymore, so will stay out of grab range and up+b range. Do a glide toss turnip out of shield if you can during this moment. Down smash, down smash, down smash. I can't stress this enough. If puff's shield is pressured, you can approach with FC f-airs. If jigg's shield breaks, she dies.

Any questions?

DJCrinkleCut

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DJCrinkleCut
Having my rest be shielded is probably the most crushing feeling ever. I recommend looking out for rests and shielding appropriately.
I think that's why it's the most satisfying thing ever.
You people cause me enough pain.

Top Bottom