• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do YOU deal with jigglypuff?

kalamazhu

Smash Journeyman
I stopped playing this matchup a while ago (peach puff is way too hard)...
I picked up fox as a counter against jigglypuff and it has worked wonders. Armada uses YL but i don't think im good enough to do that. So just curious peach community. How do YOU deal with puffs?

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
I think it would be better to stay closer to the ground more. Get turnips and waveland under them. You can bait puff better from a lower position and since she doesn't have good hitboxes below or long lasting it's easier to get hits/trades in.

:phone:

Cave Dweller

Smash Apprentice
I don't think that peach puff is unwinable for peach, but you're right in that its definitely hard. This set is a wooooonderful example of how to play the matchup as peach:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMoUm7vvmOo&feature=g-u-u&context=G2465e6bFUAAAAAAABAA

He uses tons of quick float cancels to punish puff when she gets above peach which is crucial I think. He also catches puff over committing on alot aerials and punishes with fsmash, obviously not the most percent earning punish but it keeps puff honest as far as spacing goes.

So for me, I'm gonna try and stick it out with Peach. But fox is good too :p

Wake

Smash Master
I'm not sure what to do about this MU.

Also, Cave Dweller, with the way that Hyuga was playing, I also think that the MU is fine for Peach. However, when you play a Puff that will just bair you like Hbox, the MU becomes way harder for Peach. I think it just depends on how safe the Puff is willing to play.

I just lost to a Puff like that. Both matches were close, but they ended up going to time. I'm still gonna try Peach for a while, but if that doesn't work, I'm going to switch too.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
I'm still thinking through this one, but stay loooow to the ground, fast float cancels, fsmash. Our bair is pretty good, too.

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
Approaching by running on the ground and shielding is good since a lot of puffs retreat after an aerial. So you can get free space by approaching with a shield.

kalamazhu

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure what to do about this MU.

Also, Cave Dweller, with the way that Hyuga was playing, I also think that the MU is fine for Peach. However, when you play a Puff that will just bair you like Hbox, the MU becomes way harder for Peach. I think it just depends on how safe the Puff is willing to play.

I just lost to a Puff like that. Both matches were close, but they ended up going to time. I'm still gonna try Peach for a while, but if that doesn't work, I'm going to switch too.
Yeah i think Hbox type jigglypuff just out spaces peach bad.

But I reallly wasn't asking for vs puff advice i just wanted to know if you are ( or are considering) using secondaries for this matchup.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
Back before people starting really saying that this MU was super hard for Peach, it always seemed like Hbox-style was the BEST against her for sure, from how Hbox/Armada used to go.

I don't think that it's worth picking up a secondary for until you're...right in-between mid and high level. At least until we figure it out. So I'm still using Peach for it.

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
I think the matchup needs to be played differently since puff can outspace your aerial game and requires less precision to do so. Puff and marth are really the only two like that except puff doesn't have a strong ground game like marth so that has to be taken advantage of. Peach has good OOS options so the main goal should be to obtain position from the ground where you can get quick hits from below. Shield if needed and make sure to get aerial pressure if you can force puff towards the ground. It's a hard MU but puffs are used to fighting foxes a lot so unless your fox is a pretty legit secondary you might have as hard of a time anyway.

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
Please enlighten us then with your expertise. Because maybe I don't want to switch characters and want to know how to deal with puff. So instead of just saying I don't know anything why don't you contribute to your own discussion.

kalamazhu

Smash Journeyman
LooooOOL don't get too hostile with me guys.
Wake is right. If puffs just use bair like hbox, peach can't (or has a really hard time) out spacing it. If puff uses fair and stuff its really easy to get ur f/n/bairs in.
I just think it's really hard because contrary to popular belief u don't have OOS options on puff. WD back is the best option against puff and that makes you lose space. You can't even get under puff tbh cus peach is too slow to run into her weave range cus puff's air speed is too fast. shes not fast like fox and her wavedash isn't long like luigis so u can't really get in. Turnips are the way to go to approach but its not good enough to start playing the matchup.
and tbh i haven't tried using fsmash but it doesn't sound very reliable, but ill c

Wake

Smash Master
Kzhu is right. I wish my set was recorded. Both matches went to time. I don't think Peach can get in on a Puff that just bairs unless she gets lucky with items. I still want to try more stuff because I think Peach is awesome, but we'll see...

Bing

Smash Master
On the Puff boards they were posting that f-smash is okay because of the way the body moves while throwing out the attack.

Peach's back archs in a way that moves the hurtbox so that a bair wont hit Peach while still using a mildly ranged attack(hope for golf clubs!)

I dont really know if I would agree with that because if you throw it out and miss... you've got enough lag to eat an aerial or two...

Wake

Smash Master
That was already linked in this thread, ShroudedOne. To which we responded that Hbox's specific style is what makes the MU extremely difficult. Hyuga did not play like that. I think his style of play makes the MU about even for Peach, maybe even slightly in her favor. Play a Puff that will just bair, and you'll see how hard it is, at least if you play traditionally. I still want to think that Peach has the tools somewhere though...

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
You don't necessarily have to be under puff, just a better angle than horizontal. About shield options I don't see why you can't close in on the ground. Puff doesn't really shield pressure, although dair stun probably sucks.

Wake

Smash Master
I don't think Peach can do that much if Puff just bairs Peach's shield as long as the Puff spaces it right. It didn't seem like it in my set.

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
Then you could wd back or full jump float to try to counter. If the puff doesn't commit then just go back to neutral I guess. What's the window like for wd oos toward puff if they retreating bair you? Could you get an fc nair out before they bair again?

Wake

Smash Master
Yeah you can wavedash back of course. If Puff spaces the bair, I don't think the nair will actually be able to reach Puff. That's the problem.

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
So then wd towards puff and reshield? Whatever it takes to close in space and box her in. And of course turnips are awesome

Wake

Smash Master
@ SaudiMizer No because as you're doing that, the Puff will be retreating with bairs. You won't get anywhere. Also, turnips are not as useful unless you get items or a stitch. Bair kicks them away. Normally, Peach likes forcing characters to the ledge, but against Puff, I don't think this is very effective.

I think it's winnable, but Peach has to play completely differently.

Quaz

Smash Master
I think you gotta stay on the ground most of time with a turnip in your hand and just make puff come to you. If you can get the lead. Make her come towards you. you can't really approach her in the air so easily, even with a turnip. (Puff can actually bair turnips without an issue) but turnip throws OOS do good because they can reach puff even when she spaces bair.

It sounds really lame, but they're floaties anyways. It's not really gonna be enjoyable whether you camp or not.

TheSaudiMizer

Smash Journeyman
Just basically the main thing to take advantage of is you have better hitboxes at diagonal angles whereas puff is more limited to hotizontal hitboxes, more advantageous from the ground since puff needs to stay airborne. It's not like the puff is going to perfectly space bairs the whole time either.

Wake

Smash Master
I don't think Puff even needs to "perfectly" space her bairs anyways.

But yeah, staying on or very close to the ground is the best option.

Abuuuuu move to MN. haha

ckmadison

Smash Rookie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoaIEuRlOYs

I feel Armada is the best peach player in the world, and he played this MU pretty well... and I'm sure you've all seen this many times before haha.

watching this video, I had a question- what moves of JP can combo Peach into Sleep other than JP's utilt? Also, best way to DI when Utilted by JP?

Top Bottom