• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you counter sidestep dodges

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
Like what's the best way? You can't predict them like a roll dodge and you can't grab them like they were shielding. What's the best option for this?

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
The most common punish for spot-dodges I see is smash attacks. Just let the attack charge while they try to dodge, then release it to hit them.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
One of my personal favourites is projectiles that slow down towards the end of their travel. Things like the Mii Gunner's Grenade Launch or Bomb Drop, or Z-dropping Link's bombs.

shockfrost

Smash Apprentice
Charge a smash. Spot dodges have the exact same length every time. You can mindgame your opponent's timing, and let fly. Seeing it charge with no way to escape his spot dodge, is a wonderful slap on the wrist.

If you can't read your opponent, don't focus on handling a sidestep. Focus on reading your enemy!

Roukiske

Smash Journeyman
I would not charge an unsafe smash attack unless you are doing a hard read, which you should understand that if you read it wrong you will eat it. You can also do things that will cover options. You could go in for a well spaced low landing lag aerial and in case they spot dodge it, you throw out a tilt or jab after landing (I do it all the time with Falcon's nair into jab hit confirm). This is one way you are covering the spot dodge option. You don't necessarily have to punish with something that will kill. Just punishing them with something like a jab combo should be enough to send the message.

JamietheAuraUser

Smash Lord
I would not charge an unsafe smash attack unless you are doing a hard read, which you should understand that if you read it wrong you will eat it. You can also do things that will cover options. You could go in for a well spaced low landing lag aerial and in case they spot dodge it, you throw out a tilt or jab after landing (I do it all the time with Falcon's nair into jab hit confirm). This is one way you are covering the spot dodge option. You don't necessarily have to punish with something that will kill. Just punishing them with something like a jab combo should be enough to send the message.
Speaking of hit confirms: Link can do something similar to this when both he and his foe are at low percents, and it can force the foe to eat it whether they dodge or shield or even if they do neither and take the hit. Fast-fall NAir into the ground. From there it takes reaction time, as two out of three possibilities are covered by Link grabbing but sidestepping is not necessarily one of them. If they sidestep or are at super low percents and you landed the NAir close to Link's body instead of at his foot, you can jab. If they take the hit or shield, you can grab. I don't know if grabbing will also catch the sidestep guaranteed, but it just might.

Another fun thing to do to people who like to sidestep, though it doesn't work on For Glory: Mii Gunner's Bomb Drop or Grenade Launch. When spaced properly, the projectile will still be right there as they come out of the sidestep and they'll take the hit.

If you want to do something a bit unsafe, Link's Spin Attack has a weak late hit that lasts quite a while, and can often cover the sidestep. It's a better idea if the foe is at high percents, because at really low percents it's still possible for it to be unsafe on hit if they run into the earlier part of the weak hit.

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
Pivot grabs work wonders because if they hold shield run through pivot grab will catch them and it'll get spotdodging too!

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Use multihits, lingering attacks or aerials you can easily space around. It might be character dependent.

As kirby though, if a person usually spotdodges a lot I go for Dair or of sh fair, since these are multihit moves and fair can be retreated mid-move. Just learn your character's safer option for this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom