• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you counter heavy projectile characters? (Young Link)

Hose_chan

Smash Rookie
I play Luigi, and whenever I play against someone who just spams projectiles. I just lose. I can never approach. Please help. How would I approach? Is parrying the projectiles a good thing? Or should I just wait for them to approach me?

Please send help. =/ I don't want to drop Luigi just because of some characters in the game.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Either play a character with a kit that hard counters projectile spam (like Palu), get good at parrying / knowing the timing of when to jump/roll/etc or play a character that can quickly rush in, close any distance between you and them to shut down their zoning potential and then give them absolute hell. As a Weegee you do have a projectile of your own, which can be mixed into approaches. Young Link shouldn't be camping anyway, he's more focused on rushing you down and then using his kit to link into kills, so once you get the hang of dealing with projectile spam in general it shouldn't continue giving you problems, especially in that MU. I can't comment a ton of Weegee's options in Ult, though, as I've never played him.

People who rely on projectiles and spam them tend to be lacking in almost every aspect of their gameplay, once you condition them to know spam won't work.. they don't tend to do well.

Last edited:

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Also as a Weegee you have a fast tether grab that can be used to get past any walls built by projectile spammers before they come up, provided you make use of his speed and projectile (plus your own skill via things such as parry's, well timed short hops, etc) to get close enough which shouldn't be too bad.

Last edited:

Hose_chan

Smash Rookie
Should I short hop with pressing 2 jump buttons more?
Controller I use is Gamecube. Tap jump off no rumble no Attack and special for Smash attacks.
A: Attack
B: Special
X: Shield
Y: Jump
Z: Grab
L: Shield
R: Shield
I'm thinking of changing my X to jump again or making my L Jump

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
I personally use Z to jump on the Gamecube controller as it's super easy to just flick my index finger off of it for short hops and such, plus having an index finger jumping so your thumb is free to C-Stick and press A for aerials helps. It also makes a lot of buffer tech like attack cancel BAir RAR's and wavebounces much easier to consistently perform.

I can't really see myself ever using two buttons to short hop, or using anything BUT Z to jump (yes, all the time just about, I have grab mapped to Y and I also have X on jump but rarely use it) outside of Melee.. but use whatever works best for you.

Orlando BCN

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-0933-8407-0408
Spam projectiles = bad habit. Simply wait for the opportunity when you KNOW they’ll use a projectile, then punish them with whatever you’ve got.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I’m starting to find that learning how to perfect shield makes projectiles much less of an issue.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Perfect shielding can help to a point, as can spot dodging if you want a safer option. The best thing to do is stay in their face constantly and don't let their BS start.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Fire arrows travel nigh linear, so use platforms if necessary. Bombs have an arc, but can be thrown in one of four directions. Boomerang is only able to be thrown in three directions, and unless you're on a platform or off the stage, as long as you're at a distance, the boomerang may just be thrown at you. Luigi's fireballs stop fire arrows and boomerang.

If Young Link wants to spam, you can do the same. This will either cause Young Link to approach or continue spamming. Using platforms can help you close the gap. If you start getting Young Link to chase you, this may reduce his use of projectiles. Bombs also take a few seconds to blow up, so don't worry much about the explosions. Shield when necessary.

Last edited:

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Don't get too careless when approaching him though, his tether grab goes like a football field, but if he whiffs it.. juicy punish right there. Spot dodges can help make that happen.

Hose_chan

Smash Rookie
THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO SAID SOMETHING!!! I REALLY APPRECIATE IT A LOT!!!
I hold the controller(GC) in a claw grip so that's why I want to change my control layout

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
I claw myself in Melee because it hurts the hell out of my thumb otherwise and I had a point where I feared doing serious damage to my hand. Not sure if claw helped much in that department, but it did make a lot of stuff more consistent for me. In every game after I've used Z-Jump starting with PM, I can't get used to the idea of anything else now. I know a lot of people hate the GCN Z Button, but I personally love it.

KenboCalrissian

YouTube: SewerBuddies
NNID
KenboCalrissian
3DS FC
2165-5810-5680
Switch FC
SW 5178 3144 4326
It helps to study the projectiles you're struggling against. Crystanium Crystanium 's synopsis is great for Young Link, but do you know how to handle R.O.B.'s gyro or lasers? Mewtwo's shadow ball? Pikachu's thunder jolt? These all have different properties, and all have weaknesses you can exploit once you see them.

The two most important things to learn about each projectile are 1. their trajectory, and 2. their startup/endlag. If you know these two details about every projectile, you can get in against anything. Pay attention to other details too - pick up R.O.B.'s gyro to prevent him from making another, and then throw it up into the air to keep it in play/out of threat for the maximum amount of time. A Fox spamming laser expects you to jump and approach to make him stop, so expect that he's expecting your aerial approach and do something he doesn't expect instead.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Fox I have such a different approach to than most other characters, his lasers = free falcon kick to the face when he locks down doing them like that.

Outside of ROB's Gyro, pay attention to his laser by looking at the flashing light on top of his head. He doesn't have unlimited use of it, and he also doesn't always get the big laser.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Honestly, Luigi's Fire Balls should be able to block most of Young Link's projectiles. So try that first. Counter his projectile with your own, shield, and try to parry indeed what others have said and aim for grabs. Grabs with Luigi are devestating if you know what follow ups you can do. I don't recommend using a different character at all, as you are probably most skilled with Luigi so keep with him. Abuse Luigi's high jumps to reach over the projectile spam, and learn to time your air dodge.

Luigi doesn't fare well against zoners though. So if there's another character you like to play as, you might want to consider using that one above Luigi if you keep running into these problems. First, try to adjust using Luigi though. Because that will make it easier for you to adapt to any other character.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
Mario fares far better and wouldn't mess your Weegee up too much by playing him. Cape and FLUDD go a long way in certain MU's.

Rhus

We're going top speed!
Fox I have such a different approach to than most other characters, his lasers = free falcon kick to the face when he locks down doing them like that.
This is definitely a huge mistake I see Fox players do occasionally. At any given point, Fox should only fire 1-3 lasers as a reminder that you have to approach him and he can pressure you from mid-long range to do something. Fox's lasers are extensions of his jab, not an aggressive space control projectile.

DelugeFGC

Smash Stick Space Cowboy
Switch FC
SW-2582-1162-1537
This is definitely a huge mistake I see Fox players do occasionally. At any given point, Fox should only fire 1-3 lasers as a reminder that you have to approach him and he can pressure you from mid-long range to do something. Fox's lasers are extensions of his jab, not an aggressive space control projectile.
Fox shouldn't be using his lasers period outside of distance windows in bursts to rack up %, but projectile spammers aren't known for their optimal playstyles or fantastic habits. I wouldn't even call them a jab extension, they're all %.

Last edited:
Top Bottom