• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Advice How do you beat moves with low end lag and good range

jJOEe

Smash Rookie
If a move has good range and low end lag how do you beat it. This is the question, when people respond and give advice or need me to be more specific I will try my best to help. Also #fixultimateonline

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It depends on the move, but generally your two main options are either to stuff it out (if it has longer start up), or to try to punish what your opponent does next.

For instance Ike's Nair comes out on frame 8. If you manage to get in close on him, you can beat it out with any move faster then that. Sword characters and projectile zoners tend to have close range options that are a bit slower on start up, so they often struggle in boxing scenerios (note that some still have escape options though, like Lucina's Dolphin Slash, so watch out for those).

Similarly, if an opponent wiffs a safe attack you can try to punish what you think they'll do next to protect themselves. If you think they'll shield, you can go for a grab. If you think they'll jump, you can go for an anti-air. This takes some guesswork and also observing your opponent's habits though, so it's not guaranteed. It's important to remember that you won't be albe to punish everything.

rigmac97

Smash Rookie
If a move has good range and low end lag how do you beat it. This is the question, when people respond and give advice or need me to be more specific I will try my best to help. Also #fixultimateonline
It's kinda like fighting in real life. You have to get up close and personal with them in order to throw them off. They expect you to stay away. If you want some more information of some of the best ranged fighters and why they are considered the best then check this article out.

Top Bottom