• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do you approach with Bayonetta?

Lordie

Smash Rookie
Hi I’ve just picked this character and I love her but I’m so bad with Bayo (I’m a Fox player).. I don’t even know how to approach with her without getting punished, dash attack is kinda slow, side B is too predictable and Nair doesn’t work that much, I have no clue on how to play neutral with her :/

So I would like some beginner tips please ^^ (the only thing I know with her is that triple jump trick)

Last edited:

Call_Me_Red

Smash Journeyman
It's very tricky. Every time you approach you have to mix up between dash attack, HS, or grab. At higher percents replace dash attack with back air. Every time you have to approach it's pretty much just a mind game which option you pick. But Bayo is considered a bad character now, and approaching is not her strong suit. GL HF.

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Bayo is a whiff punish character. In otherwords, you shouldn't be approaching unless you're approaching from the air or approaching a character that whiffed an attack and is still in end lag. She capitalizes heavily on 1 hit because she is an auto-combo character. Just whiff punish and all will go well. Stay away from shields and standing opponents that can spot dodge and you should be fine.

Lordie

Smash Rookie
Thank you ! Looks I’ve been playing Bayo wrong since day one.. Also what are her best move ? Like Fox has his nair and dash attack

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Thank you ! Looks I’ve been playing Bayo wrong since day one.. Also what are her best move ? Like Fox has his nair and dash attack
There is no 'best move' for a one size fits all situation.
Up tilt will get you some millage (in my experience) because it opens the opponent up for her best combo tools in the form of Up Special and Side Special respectively. You also generally want to end combos with neutral air or back air. Neutral for center stage combo ender and backair for near ledge combo enders. Her forward air is also SUPER clean for just carrying people off stage to the blast zone, and then recovering from a mile away. Avoid her smash attacks tho, they're honestly really slow garbage moves. Their only benefit is that they are giant. Don't be a nub about it and try to edge guard with smash attacks. You're Bayo. Go off stage and kick their ****ing teeth in lol.

Lordie

Smash Rookie
Thank you very much ! For edge guard should I use her up air or her neutral air ?

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Thank you very much ! For edge guard should I use her up air or her neutral air ?
I more recommend either juggling with forward airs to the blast zones OR, if they have enough damage already, get a clean backair.

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Okay thanks for all the advice, I’m going to practice a lot ^^
Just be very aware that just because Bayo has one of the easiest combo games in the cast, it doesn't mean she has a good neutral game. You have to compensate for the fact that the punish game is handed to you by outplaying people in the neutral pretty hard so it's a lot more practice required than people expect. It's less of a character practice thing and more of a fundamentals practice thing. So get really good at knowing when to shield, and when to spot dodge, and what options to use and when because she has it pretty rough in the matchup department in Ultimate.

Last edited:

Modesty

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
ALIC#155
Bayo has trouble directly approaching, but she has a pretty good dash dance mixed with some fast aerials and good combo setups that build about percent fast. This means that it's actually pretty scary to approach for other characters as well because they have to respect her counter attack. Try dash dancing just out of range of your opponent and mixing in safe zoning aerials and make try to bait them in to either approaching unsafely or even just getting to close and use tilts or side b to start up combos.

Last edited:
Top Bottom