• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I use Turnips effectively?

Awesomecakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stef-Pie
3DS FC
3093-7191-2175
Its come to my attention that my turnip game sucks. I usually pluck one at the start of the match, and throw it away almost immediately and don't pluck more unless they're offstage and i'm using it to cover ledge getup options.

They give peach a safe ranged option, but I don't know what to do when I get a hit with a turnip. I usually end up just going in with a dash attack or a grab, but since turnips are usually used at a distance I end up being too slow for the follow up. And now that i've started using side B more as a ranged option i barely use turnips now.

Is there any better way to use them as openings to comboes, or can/should I try to camp with them? Or are there any interesting way that you're using turnips that could be beneficial to learn?

Takehiko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FoldedMachi
Well they're used for both aggressive and defense play. As a aggressive zoning peach, I pluck turnips whenever I get a chance. And after I get a hit, I usually follow up with a dair. Also, turnips allow you to learn an opponent playstyle with 0 risk. With edge guarding, you zdrop turnips. They're amazing cause they're like and huge extension of her. Plus if you don't use then, you might not pull a bomb. According to nabbit, dash isn't an approach option, it's more of a punish. Also, side b even though it's good shouldn't replace turnips.

Pippu

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BaffDurtum
3DS FC
4468-1508-6788
Super good at zoning heavy characters out, just stay at distance and if you see them rushing towards you throw one, dash attack grab another and repeat. Super good for heavy match ups.

I mainly pluck them when I get the opponent away from me and use them to pressure and punish. They're great at opening your opponent up to start followups or go in for a dash attack

Just work on it. In the back of your mind in matches think I need to use turnips, and pluck whenever you get the chance. Overtime you wont have to think about it and it'll be a natural thing.

NightPeach

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5129-1424-7916
Its come to my attention that my turnip game sucks. I usually pluck one at the start of the match, and throw it away almost immediately and don't pluck more unless they're offstage and i'm using it to cover ledge getup options.

They give peach a safe ranged option, but I don't know what to do when I get a hit with a turnip. I usually end up just going in with a dash attack or a grab, but since turnips are usually used at a distance I end up being too slow for the follow up. And now that i've started using side B more as a ranged option i barely use turnips now.

Is there any better way to use them as openings to comboes, or can/should I try to camp with them? Or are there any interesting way that you're using turnips that could be beneficial to learn?
Okay so turnips are one of the most important things that Peach has. Why is it important? o.o (I dunno) JK. No, because it greatly helps you with defense, attack, potential combos/followups, and edgeguarding. Now I'm going to seperate each one of these and explain where the turnip plays a role.

Defense: Yes turnips helps you defense. Throwing them up in the air while your opponent is wasting time on the other side is actually good. Got a player who camps and goes in anytime? Throw them up in the air and see what happens (it may lead to combos/followups, but those are for attack, but for defense is that it helps you escape from attacks while you're dealing with a person who rolls, spotdodge, and can cancel grabs). If somehow you're retreating and they still chase you do a pivot throw to slow them down or interrupt their chase (Like... Back off, man)

Attack and Combos/Followups: Lolz yes sometimes when you just casually throw a turnip
It hits them, BUT!!!! Don't let that opportunity waste. IF you're close enough go for a dash attack or even an fair if you throw the turnip up from the air. EOE's part 2 of Peach's combo video might help. Also as I said in defense, that throwing them up in the air can lead to combos/followups, so try experimenting in practice mode what you can do if a turnip hits them from above (Dash attack, F Smash, Up Smash, or Fair, and more). Also sometimes if they chase you while retreating, dropping from the stage, jump back and throw a turnip, then fair, will almost always work if they get hit by the turnip. If they don't, well just hang on the edge and forget about Fair.

Edgeguaring: THIS IS MY FAVORITE ONE!!! Don't you just love it when a turnips hits your opponent that's trying to recover? Lolz. Anyways, things turnips can do when they recover. There are two types of edgeguarding with turnips. First one is you just simply throw them to your opponent's way while their trying to recover. They'll get pissed with all these turnips flying at them XD (IMO). Also you know how sometimes when you throw a turnip to an opponent, then they Up B and go through the edge and hang on it. Well next time don't let them hang on it, instead do an F Smash or better an F Air. Turnips interrupt some Up B especially like Mario's. If you interrupt Mario's Up B, he will do another Up B and most of the time, that Up B goes through the edge and then they'll let them hang on the edge. Second one is letting the turnips support you in edgeguarding. YAAAAASSSS!!!! I love this one. Okay while opponent is trying to recover low, drop from the stage and throw that turnip at the wall and float and...... Just simply attack. Understand? (No? >.<) Well I'll give an example. While your opponent is trying to recover low, throw that turnip at the wall and float. The opponent will be confused on which one is gonna get in his/her way (Secret: It's actually Peach AND the turnip XD). If the turnip happens to interrupt or hit your opponent it will give you an opportunity to fair, nair, bair, or dair (coz of hitstun) them which is sometimes a guaranteed kill. If the turnip didn't hit them then just simply grab the edge. If he/she grabbed the edge before you do, then just simply ledge trump the fool (:p).

Anyways, here's all what I have to say with turnips. I'm still trying to find out more, but I hope this helps. Some people might disagree with me, but prevent yourselves from arguing with me, because..... I just don't like arguments :/. PS: Please have a turnip at your hand at most times, and also be careful on when you pluck them due to the fact that the move has lag at the beginning.

HOPE THIS HELPS!!!! XD

Last edited:

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
A lot of times, some peach matchups will require you to have a turnip in hand as a punish option. Peach's turnip is one of her best options as it is not a hitbox connected to her, meaning that if a turnip is hit it won't actually damage Peach, and it has a long range. You can pluck turnips and space from your opponent, and whenever they come in shield and punish with a smashthrow. One of my personal favorite ways to use turnips is the Pivot Smash Throw. Run in a direction, either away from your opponent or to the other side of your opponent, then turn around and smash throw! It is a great spacing tool and a lot of times it can catch your opponent off-guard if they mindlessly approach, or distance yourself just enough from your opponent that their attack misses you but your turnip will hit due to it's long range. The turnip is a great edgegaurding tool. The turnip as an edgeguarding tool basically can help you guarantee a hit. If you throw a turnip and your opponent airdodges, you can punish the airdodge. If you throw a turnip and the opponent jumps, you can jump with them and hit them. If the opponent does nothing and lets the turnip hit them, then you can combo off of the turnip. Additionally, off stage you can Z-drop turnips, applying pressure to your opponent and possibly making them recover in a different way. Although spacing and edgeguarding are the two main ways you will be using turnips, there are some combos you can do. FOR EXAMPLE, at very very low percents, peach can float above an opponents head and do two dairs, jump into turnips throw, then finish with an up b or a nair! Peach can also combo off of side b with a turnip, and if you dash throw a turnip at an opponent and it hits, you can usually follow up with a grab. Read the post above me that @ NightPeach NightPeach made. It is very good and covers a lot of stuff as well.

Awesomecakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stef-Pie
3DS FC
3093-7191-2175
@ NightPeach NightPeach Thanks a lot! Turnips are very multi-faceted. It is good to keep in mind that you can use them while retreating and that throwing them up in the air can close off space.

On the offensive side I've started experimenting quite a bit. I spent quite a while in training mode just doing short-hop turnip throws and seeing if i can get any comboes from them. At a certain range you can get Turnip > Nair > Dtilt/grab > etc... It requires really good spacing to use it in a match, but you might be able to snuff aerial approaches with a short hop turnip and get a quick combo.

I've also tried short-hop turnip > float to land a follow-up aerial. Floating gives you some buffer time to pick your moves and get your spacing right, but its a bit slower and probably gives you less chance to follow up, though with the light-turnip custom this kind of thing should become standard I think.

I like Short-hop turnips, they let you stay a lot more mobile than throwing them from the ground, and leaves you less open than full hops. You can also do it as an approach, or throw them when fading back, which makes it a good spacing tool.

I've also been practicing the EOE video stuff. I tried the down throw turnip stuff on the 3ds version, but didn't revisit those things since the patch, so its nice that some of it still works. But getting close enough to down throw a turnip probably requires some tricky baits to do on a good player. I'm also practicing the turnip-Nair lock, I can't wait to whip it out in tournament.

Last edited:

gagelax

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GageLax
3DS FC
4699-6577-1898
@ NightPeach NightPeach Thanks a lot! Turnips are very multi-faceted. It is good to keep in mind that you can use them while retreating and that throwing them up in the air can close off space.

On the offensive side I've started experimenting quite a bit. I spent quite a while in training mode just doing short-hop turnip throws and seeing if i can get any comboes from them. At a certain range you can get Turnip > Nair > Dtilt/grab > etc... It requires really good spacing to use it in a match, but you might be able to snuff aerial approaches with a short hop turnip and get a quick combo.

I've also tried short-hop turnip > float to land a follow-up aerial. Floating gives you some buffer time to pick your moves and get your spacing right, but its a bit slower and probably gives you less chance to follow up, though with the light-turnip custom this kind of thing should become standard I think.

I like Short-hop turnips, they let you stay a lot more mobile than throwing them from the ground, and leaves you less open than full hops. You can also do it as an approach, or throw them when fading back, which makes it a good spacing tool.

I've also been practicing the EOE video stuff. I tried the down throw turnip stuff on the 3ds version, but didn't revisit those things since the patch, so its nice that some of it still works. But getting close enough to down throw a turnip probably requires some tricky baits to do on a good player. I'm also practicing the turnip-Nair lock, I can't wait to whip it out in tournament.
Wow, thanking @ NightPeach NightPeach but not me, I feel the love,

JK, glad you took that information well, continue to practice! =)

Awesomecakes

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Stef-Pie
3DS FC
3093-7191-2175
@ gagelax gagelax LMAO, sorry about that. I guess I should have mentioned that I already did do Pivot Turnips. It was one of those things where I might get a stray hit with one of those throws, but I'd whiff when I tried to follow up. And I feel like you're still not that mobile when doing it. Like, someone can jump over it if they're looking out for it. With Short-hop turnip you stay mobile and it starts higher meaning it goes farther and covers more ground, making it harder to jump over.

I really should use them more for edgeguarding though. One of the reasons i don't is because of the time it takes to pluck. Some characters make it back pretty fast, so I feel I won't have time for an edgeguard when I pluck mostly when I'm in the middle of the stage though. I do have a setup where I throw the turnip to cover the ledge options though. if you just throw it so that it just goes past the ledge when they get up it covers jump, get-up attack, aerials, regular get-up and you should be able to react to a roll. With regular get-up, they might have time to shield the turnip, which allows you to get a grab. I tend to opt for this instead of an edgeguard, but edgeguarding is much more rewarding and can lead to a kill rather than just re-setting the situation.

NightPeach

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5129-1424-7916
@ Awesomecakes Awesomecakes Oh. Okay sorry I forgot about that floating after turnip thing, too :p. You're welcome, fellow peach player:4peach:. That's nice that you're experimenting around. Who knows you'll find out combos that was never discovered. Oh and yes, floating after throwing a turnip can also be helpful as it also surprise and lets you attack without landing. Also try playing around floating while holding a turnip too, because it contributes to combos/followups too.

@ gagelax gagelax lolz. I'm pretty sure your post was helpful too, its just that you didn't give him to thank you. :p xD

Peachach

Smash Cadet
Use turnips all the time. Seriously. For edge guarding, combos, trickery...

Chef Besh

Smash Rookie
For edge guarding, you can use the z button to drop a turnip in the air. There isn't an animation for throwing it, so you can effectively throw out a float aerial to cover 2 options. Another way to utilize turnips is to just pull them and throw them in the air. In a scenario where your opponent is not approaching, you can use this to cycle to a special turnip (Wink, Dot Eye, Stitch Face). As well as, with the turnips being in the air, it will make an approach from above much more difficult for the opponent.

SuperScope

Smash Cadet
You use turnips for covering options. The process of pulling and throwing turnips is way to slow to be used as pressure in the neutral game.

Example of covering options: edge guard; after opponent uses his second jump, throw a turnip at him and follow behind it. Prepare to fair. His two basic options are to get hit or air dodge. If he hits the turnip it's a free fair. If he air dodges, pause a split second then fair.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
Lots of good advice in here. Turnips are really versatile and there's dozens of ways to use them. But there is a really bad way to use them, so clear this out of your game if you haven't already:

DON'T GET PUNISHED FOR PULLING TURNIPS

All too often I see Peaches (of all levels) press down b when they're opponent is right next to them. Don't do that. You're frozen still for a full second with nothing to protect you. You might as well have taunted.

NightPeach

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5129-1424-7916
Lots of good advice in here. Turnips are really versatile and there's dozens of ways to use them. But there is a really bad way to use them, so clear this out of your game if you haven't already:

All too often I see Peaches (of all levels) press down b when they're opponent is right next to them. Don't do that. You're frozen still for a full second with nothing to protect you. You might as well have taunted.
Lol. I do agree with this one. Don't do this ESPECIALLY at high percents, and if you do, free stock for your opponent. The most times you want to pluck turnips are when you sent them flying away from you. When they're at a respectable distance from you. Or when they die. You want to have then all the time, but you gotta also be wise on when to get one.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

Been victim of this for a long while, gladly I'm now growing out of that habit. Must be still remnants of transition to Sm4sh because the increased lag. So you have an example here.

Also, be observing and patient about throwing your turnip. For example, instantly throwing your turnip to a rushing opponent is not recommended due them usually executing Dash-A as part of their approach. This will make them grab the flying turnip you threw, and have you punished while they'll be left with one on their hands. Not a graceful moment for a Peach-player.

DrROBschiz

Smash Apprentice
Here is one I have been doing

Bring Turnips for Offstage Chases.

Hit With Turnip >> Follow Up Attack or Chase >>> Toad Counter if their recovery has a hitbox >:)

Peach actually can force a lot of predictable behavior in offstage chases with turnips and even force interrupt opponents second jump on certain occasions. If they airdodge and grab it you have enough of a window to punish the end of the airdodge with a fast Nair.

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Smash Apprentice
somewhat related; do you guys notice that peach sometimes drops her turnips after being hit? why is this?
Its a game mechanic. I think any character can be hit in a way where they drop the item they are holding and turnips count as a held item

Tali vas Normandy

Smash Apprentice
I love using them for people who are trying to recover from off stage
Well placed and thrown one can totally win you the game.

They are alright for zoning as well

Never though about using them for combos though.
Should look into that.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
For the Villager matchup and the Rosalina & Luma matchup, you will want to bait out the Pocket and Gravitational Pull respectively by making your opponent think you will throw the turnip immediately. Thanks to the fact that Peach will never throw an item whenever in float, use this to your advantage and Down Air the opponent during the animation that you baited.

Ximlee

Smash Cadet
Btw, if you double tap Z in the air you can regrab a turnip mid air for mind games and it looks clutch AF

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
Btw, if you double tap Z in the air you can regrab a turnip mid air for mind games and it looks clutch AF
Not bad. The opponent will probably feel pressured by the mere sound of the grab.

Last edited:

DrROBschiz

Smash Apprentice
I use my turnips as edgeuards, distractions and even confusion

If you condition an opponent to grab your turnips unintentionally you can actually force them to mess up since sometimes in the heat of the action they try to go for their normal attack which instead throws a turnip. I know this sounds weird but I have gotten some free setups from players acting in a predictable and confused fashion with a turnip in their hand lol

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
It bothers me when my opponent(s) don't even try to scare me by making me guess when they'll throw the turnip. Catching one means a perfect opportunity to give me a taste of my own medicine.

meticulousboy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
gradius_16
3DS FC
1005-8934-0229
I realize this is like a necro but has anyone mentioned 420peachit?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxYKeWlLNDcT9uQMZrJX7UQ

He has some crazy turnip plays.
I watched a montage of his before. Amazing stuff in the video you shared.
What I do with turnips is jump and throw it downwards in the air. That is what I do if I know my opponent will roll towards me. Once the turnip hits, I follow up with a Back Air or Neutral Air. If I happen to catch the turnip, all the better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom