• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I use Bite effectively?

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Since I'm a Project: M noob, I'm confused about Bite. At most I can only get one chomp off, and it is difficult to land. I'm most likely doing something wrong, so what is it used for?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
If they DI in on the throw, you get a pretty free followup. I usually try to throw them offstage with it to catch instinctive DI in if I'm near a ledge, otherwise it's mostly a guessing game. Wario can get most of his followups off of it such as Fair, Uair, another Bite, and grab against some characters. For KOing, F-Tilt and Waft also follow from an improperly DI'd Bite throw.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I land bite out of read a most of the time. And yeah mostly to best shielding.

Fortress

Smash Master
You've been particularly active here today, Strong Bad. Did you break free of the PM development labs (at least, I don't notice you on here too much)?

Anyway, I have trouble with bite, too, but figured that you could use it after other attacks like others are saying. So, an aerial into bite is a viable option?

Ace55

Smash Lord
There are lot of situation where people will instinctively shield, being knocked onto a platform being probably the most common one. You basically use it like a tomahawk (empty jump grab) on steroids. I also love using it to throw them back of the stage after forcing them to recover on stage.

#HBC | Joker

Space Marine
NNID
HBCJoker
3DS FC
1864-9780-3232
When people make it to the ledge vs me, I usually try to read their "get on stage attempt" with a Bite, and throw them back off. Works pretty well, cuz you just short hop it, and your aerial mobility is wario-like. You can snatch them out of the air if they jump, and if they try to getup and shield, they get grabbed instead of pushed back to the ledge.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
So, Wario doesn't bait with dash dancing in the neutral game because his dash dance sucks. However, he does have incredible aerial mobility as you know. Use it to make them uncomfortable and force them into doing things they don't like to do (like shielding or rolling), reading and punishing that with Bite is a start. When they start attacking out of shield, mix it up and start giving them the dair, when they start calling out the dair, fall slowly behind their shield or something with a nair, etc. Bite is another option for pressure that, if used properly, can really pose such a threat because of how dangerous it is to DI it the wrong way and just get wafted on or uair'd out of it. Use it for conditioning.

Similarly, I also use it for tech chasing on occasion if I happen to catch a read quickly enough while I'm fair, nair & dtilt comboing. I usually watch for them to DI down and read that as them trying to get grounded to tech roll away and if I catch it early enough I can stop and read them, jumping at where they tech to with a bite. It's really good against fatties like Bowser, Dedede, Zard and DK. Much harder to pull off vs small characters (don't even bother biting vs Squirtle and Pika).

Another great use for it is mixups on the ledge. Don't use it often and really only if they're right up on the ledge and they're somewhat open (you'll want good reaction time to make this reliable), then ledge hop one in their face, kind of like how Bowser ledge hops Koopa Klaw to counter the common solution to his getup attack: run up to the ledge and shield.

Bite is too good not to use, honestly. Silent Wolf and I were talking about it a couple weeks ago and he thinks it's too good considering all the other tools Wario has. I'm inclined to agree but I'm not completely sure it's a HUGE problem. One thing remains clear though, you should definitely be experimenting with it more to get comfortable with it because even the threat of it is really really strong.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
- Bite Throw trajectory lowered slightly
This more or less means that the bite can be DI'd slightly further away than before, and that DI'ing inward is less of a punishment. So the grabee has an easier time getting away and Wario has a more difficult time following up off of any given Bite.

.fube

Smash Cadet
Bite is one if those moves that I just keep finding new uses for. U-tilt to bite is a really slick combo starter at low percents. Bite becomes so great as a mind game once you condition your opponent to get into the habit of shielding or ccing your aerial approaches. Wario, in my opinion, is a mixup character at his core, and the air control that you have during bite allows you to integrate it into all sorts of strings and keep your opponent guessing.

.fube

Smash Cadet
i notice when i use the bite/chomp in the air especially on a shorthop my aerial momentum just stops, and i hit the floor... whats with that?
I had this problem when I first started using Wario. Make sure that you are actively controlling his direction during his bite. When you take your finger off of the stick to use a neutral b, he will lose all of his momentum unless you return to holding the control stick.

Matasd

Smash Cadet
Lately i've been working on b reversing his bite and im finding it noticably harder than some other moves. One of my secondaries is ike and i can b reverse his eruption no problem but with bite the timing feels much stricter, unless im extra careful i just side b in the other direction, am i doing something wrong?

CyberZixx

Smash Lord
I find to B reverse bite I gotta be slower than other character's neutral b moves. So I tap a direction *short pause* press b.

Matasd

Smash Cadet
Thats what I was afraid of, I guess ill just start getting used to that timing thanks

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, if your opponent likes to shield a LOT , then aerial approach bite is a good gimmick to make them stop doing that. (BUT IT IS NOT GOOD TO JUST INTEGRATE INTO YOUR GAME) It is read-based.

The BEST use for bite is when your opponent lands on a platform, you punish their wake up by biting them (at the moment they leave invincibility, then toss them either back to the platform, to another platform, or predict their DI to land a waft or a similar combo extender/finisher.
Outside of that, The bite is best used as a follow-up, or a read option, and it, imo, is his best move in general... in competition with his Nair.

Beorn

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, if your opponent likes to shield a LOT , then aerial approach bite is a good gimmick to make them stop doing that. (BUT IT IS NOT GOOD TO JUST INTEGRATE INTO YOUR GAME) It is read-based.

The BEST use for bite is when your opponent lands on a platform, you punish their wake up by biting them (at the moment they leave invincibility, then toss them either back to the platform, to another platform, or predict their DI to land a waft or a similar combo extender/finisher.
Outside of that, The bite is best used as a follow-up, or a read option, and it, imo, is his best move in general... in competition with his Nair.
To add to this... My main smash partner is Mr. pickle so I fight a **** ton of wario.

Getting into character specifics. If they have bad out of shield options or movement like link. Just jumping at them is a mind-game because of how good bite is. Use it more than you would normally. Wario has incredible mix ups in any giving tech chase situation this move is just icing.

I'm surprised Coney didn't add this, but you should not care about the direction you are facing because warios Ass and mouth have the same grab range in aerial bite. Sometimes his ass seems to have more range. So jumping at people backwards, or going for a tech read the just fading back if you got it wrong will usually end up getting them anyway, so long as they have a short tech roll, or are on a platform.

Matasd

Smash Cadet
I've also found out with quick enough timing and good spacing you can punish tech rolls on stage with bite as well, not sure how consistent that could be though.

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
I've also found out with quick enough timing and good spacing you can punish tech rolls on stage with bite as well, not sure how consistent that could be though.
If your timing is good enough, it is fine xD

Mookiefish

Smash Cadet
I found a technique on accident that I've been trying to incorporate recently. I've only practiced this on Battlefield, but if you bite in such a way that you drag them off-stage in your mouth, you can throw them into the stage then jump > up-B towards the stage to do a sort of mini stage-spike. I'm not sure how practical this is, but its so fun to do.

Agi

Smash Lord
More jank to add to the toolbox, for sure. I've been throwing them away from the stage on an offstage bite then hopping towards them and catching them in my recovery as a combo finisher on occasion.

Reidlos Toof

Foot Dive!
I use SHFFL fair and nair a lot, so my opponents quickly get into the habit of shielding whenever I jump towards them. This makes a pretty easy setup for a bite. Wario's mobility in the air is insane, so once you start to get used to the feel of it you can start hopping in to force pressure with a quick fair, back out of their grab range in the same jump, then go back in for a bite. Chances are that most players up to a certain skill level will tend to reactively shield your reapproach.

As for once you have them in a bite, it's really all about reading your opponent. If they DI in towards you, you can easily follow up with just about any move Wario has, including another bite. If they DI out, it gets a bit trickier. If you properly read the DI out, you have a few decent options like DACUS or SHFFL fair. Chasing and grabbing will also work pretty well on slower fallers.

For really fast fallers like spaceys though it can be hard to get a second bite in even if you read their DI in. In their case, I like to use Dsmash. It hits in a massive range AND hits in the air now. Some people can get so taken aback by the move that it can force them to miss techs and allow you a free followup off of the downsmash, such as F smash, side B, or waft.

Top Bottom