• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I stop myself from Smashing instead of Tilting?

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
I have a horrible habit of Smash Attacking when all I want to do is tilt attack.
I guess I'm just too forceful or maybe I just don't quite understand the real combination of it, I know already that if I could just master that simple simple idea it would make me much better overall but I can't help from Smash attacking...

Mario's up tilt is the easiest for me to pull off but other than that I'm completely lost.
I read that walking or crawling before tilt attacking helps but does anyone have any other ideas I could try? :)

cardboardowl

Smash Apprentice
mario actually tiptoes if you move the stick lightly enough. practice tiptoeing back and forth, switching as fast as you can without dashing or running.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Your control of the stick needs improvement. All you need to do is practice practice practice. Don't look for shortcuts and band aid scrub solutions like turning tap jump off either. Get good at controlling your stick and it will pay off big time.

Twigler

Smash Cadet
NNID
Twigler
It's easier to tilt than smash for me which is why I heavily rely on the C-stick for smashes lol

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
A solution is to set the right stick to tilts, but I think in the long run you would benefit from practice as the others have been saying.

tofumon

Smash Rookie
Mario's up tilt is the easiest for me to pull off but other than that I'm completely lost.
I read that walking or crawling before tilt attacking helps but does anyone have any other ideas I could try? :)
Really? That's odd because usually new players have more difficulty with u.tilt than f.tilt and d.tilt because like you said, you can walk/crouch before you do the other tilts. My advice is basically tilt the stick forward as slowly and lightly as possible. You want to be really gentle with it. If you want to confirm that a tilt will come out just visually confirm that your character is either walking or crouching before you press the A button. You'll get better at performing them with practice.

Nyhte

Smash Cadet
Practice with when your stick is put into any direction enough for a tilt

LordVacation

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SpaceVacation
Your control of the stick needs improvement. All you need to do is practice practice practice. Don't look for shortcuts and band aid scrub solutions like turning tap jump off either. Get good at controlling your stick and it will pay off big time.
I love tap jump so that's not happening lol :p

Comorant

Smash Cadet
Make sure to have the lightest tap possible, be incredibly gentle and don't press hard on the A button. Pushing down on the tip top of the stick makes tilts easy, while slamming the edge allows for consistent smashing. Of course you have the C Stick too for that bit.

SilverChaos

Smash Apprentice
I just use the c-stick for tilts, less room for error. Using the c-stick for tilts instead of smashes lets you keep full directional control with aerial attacks done with the c-stick, whereas when it's set to Smash it messes with your trajectory because of the charging behavior.

Tilt-stick best stick.

Last edited:

TK Wolf

Smash Ace
Here's an interesting and useful bit of info: You can still perform smashes even if you only tilt the analog stick halfway. To get a tilt, you *HAVE* to add a bit of delay between when you tilt the stick and when you hit A. So... that means all of your tilts will be slower than they should be, unless you can buffer the input. For this reason, I'm also considering switching the c-stick to tilts.

Last edited:

chainmaillekid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CHAINMAILLEKID
3DS FC
1805-2525-8280
Here's an interesting and useful bit of info: You can still perform smashes even if you only tilt the analog stick halfway. To get a tilt, you *HAVE* to add a bit of delay between when you tilt the stick and when you hit A. So... that means all of your tilts will be slower than they should be, unless you can buffer the input. For this reason, I'm also considering switching the c-stick to tilts.
Noticed this. Drives me nuts.

There NEEDS to be a smashless threshold.
Accidentally smashing because you twitch from center, to 1/3 travel is horrible.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Stop jerking the stick.

:ohwell:

TheYeeTLord242

Smash Rookie
Here's a friggin idea : Instead of having the friggin "Y" button as a useless ass jump button why don't we have the damn option to change it as a ****in TILT?!?

Doval

Smash Lord
Tap Jump Off isn't a band aid scrub solution. It's strictly superior to Tap Jump On assuming you're coming at the game with a clean slate and don't have years of muscle memory of stick jumping to unlearn. Tap Jump Off lets you Up B in mid-air without the possibility of an accidental double jump.
You don't have to delay the button press. If you tilt the stick less you'll always get a tilt. In practice you'll probably still do it less than frame-perfect because trying to move the stick only a small amount works against trying to move it quickly.

Just use tilt stick if you can. There's no reason to do manual tilts unless your character has some weird quirk that really benefits from having the right stick mapped to Special. Doing smash attacks manually is super easy (and you don't even have to care about timing if you use A+B Smash) so having the right stick mapped to Smash is a waste.

Last edited:
Top Bottom