• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I practice YL?

HeavyLobster1120

Smash Cadet
I want to be able to use Young Link when I play Marths because Mario has no solid projectiles or ways to get in. I know it's still not easy for you guys to go up against a Marth but I always liked Young Link as a secondary and I hear it's a better matchup.

What is the tech I need to know and what are practice routines I can use?

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Learn how to throw and catch bombs, hookshot recovery, and how to convert off of bombs (eg, bomb>nair, bomb>dair) but most importantly, get some crazy good movement with YL, because you're gonna need to bait marth into a laggy attack or approaching badly to really make a difference in this MU when you're not throwing something.

Last edited:

HeavyLobster1120

Smash Cadet
Learn how to throw and catch bombs, hookshot recovery, and how to convert off of bombs (eg, bomb>nair, bomb>dair) but most importantly, get some crazy good movement with YL, because you're gonna need to bait marth into a laggy attack or approaching badly to really make a difference in this MU when you're not throwing something.
Thanks! Since I don't play young link very often what are the most common kill moves? I'm guessing just dair, nair, and downsmash.

F. Stein

Smash Journeyman
I'm guessing no one has done much work with the returning boomerang hit? I don't see it mentioned anywhere. Mixing it with movement options is really fun because it turns the opponent around and they usually flub something if they can't smash turn around, providing you have them in their 'danger' zone.

Top Bottom