• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I Play Pikachu?

SomeCallMeJesuz

Smash Rookie
I like Pikachu and feel that he can be a great character. Unforunetly I don't know how to play Pika.

Is there any special tech involved in playing Pika?

What are good/bad MU?

Is it better to keep your opponent away or be aggressive?

Comet7

Smash Lord
NNID
Comet7
oh, boy... these are all very vague questions, but i'll try to answer them.

special tech is basically quick attack canceling and knowing what you can do out of it. know that you can wavedash out of it. something else with quick attack is that you can quick attack downwards and not cancel it. when you do this, there is a very brief amount of time that you're in the air. this is enough time to use a nair, uair, or dair. if you're technical enough you can also l-cancel them.

i've never played a good mewtwo, but the general consensus is around 70-30 pika's favor
edit: MEWTWO's favor...

i can best describe pika's playstyle as annoying. you aren't fox, so don't get carried away with being in your opponent's face, but you can still give off some pressure. quick attack canceling is amazing for mobility, which means that you also don't have to be all over your opponent's face (and you don't want to, as stated earlier). you also have jolts, which are great for making your opponent do stuff. so, he's great at providing pressure and waiting for opponents to mess up.

Last edited:

Paradoxium

Smash Master
i've never played a good mewtwo, but the general consensus is around 70-30 pika's favor
No way, there is no way Pikachu wins that much against mew2. That match is pretty even, Pikachu is one of the few characters who actually does decent against mew2

Cubelarooso

Smash Lord
The best way to learn to play Chu is to look at stuff on the Melee Pikachu board.
The most important parts, though, are QA and Uair. You must become one with these moves. Let them into your heart, and they will do you no wrong.

Choice Scarf

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I'd say have a good balance between aggro and keep away. Pika isn't a pressure machine like the spacies or a pure zoner, so it's the balance of the two that makes him strong.

Pika excels at positioning and mix-ups there-of, which is honestly required to master since most of Pika's best options are at point blank range, which may or may not be where you want to be all of the time. You should practice your movement, understand the proper use of the tilts, and be comfortable going way offstage for edgeguards.

Once you get a fast game speed down, Pika should go even with most of the cast, it's just until then you need to make sure your spacing is on point. Prioritize learning how to survive first, since Pika is lightweight and has one of the best recoveries in the game as long as you can use it. So practice quick attack angles and when to use skull bash. QAC should come after that.

Watch some Anther, Axe, ESAM, or UTD Zac videos to understand what the pros do.

Best of luck!

KrymsonSkyz

Smash Apprentice
I don't blame him for this thread, you guys don't have a Pikachu 3.5 Guide at all with BnBs, combos or anything. Just a collection of loosely relevant threads

Top Bottom